OCEAN CITY and Other OLD REELS ...

Started by ez2cdave, February 10, 2015, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Thanks Sal, I find it interesting looking at different products that are designed for the same purpose, especially if those products are antiques. Being old eliminates the questions of time testing. One thing we know for sure, when an item has survived years of use, it has a certain quality that goes beyond what a modern test can prove. That is one of the allures of antiques, it boils down to that old saying, "They don't make them like that anymore". :)

Penn Chronology

In the world of Penn reels we see many different Trade Reels. Penn collectors expect to run across them from time to time. Kingfishers, J C Higgins and Schultz have shared the Penn reel logo side plate space along with different reel names like "Live Wire", "Offshore", "Deep Sea Angler" and many others. Finding a Penn Trade reel never surprises me.

But other brand reels throw me a curve. Today, on a Vintage Reels Facebook page someone was asking about a particular Ocean City, 150 yard saltwater reel they had just found. It was named an "All Coast". As I looked at it, I knew I recognized the model, I even thought I remembered its name. So, I figure I can help the person who is looking for the information about the reel. All I have to do is go to my catalog collection, find the model and I will have its history.

It is a common Ocean City style from the 1930's, so I start looking through my early catalogs for an "All Coast" Ocean City model. I have every Ocean City catalog from 1931 (the first catalog) up to the 1950's when OC became a True Temper reel. So I look. The first time I look I find no model with that name. I figured I missed it, so I look again, the second time I look through all my catalogs, still no "All Coast" model. After my third catalog adventure I decide it is not me, this model name is not in any of the catalogs.

My fourth search is now a bit deeper. I am looking for a reasonable facsimile to the "All Coast". By the time I get to the 1938 I find it, a dead ringer for the "All Coast" reel. Only it is named the "Seal Beach"

So's I post my info on Facebook and continue on with my day.

This is an example of how to loose your mind for awhile and it is also a neat learning experience. I knew that Ocean City sold their reels with Trade Accounts just like Penn did; but, I did not expect it. One never knows what he will get himself into when he just want to do a simple little favor for a stranger. ???

Tightlines667

Mike,

I came accross a photo of this early Ocean City as well, and (having somewhat limited knowledge about Ocean City), ventured a wild guess that it might be a prewar trade model.  Which I added to my growing list of things to learn more about.  

Thanks for sharing your findings.

I am slowly realizing that many people much more knowledgable then myself have been collecting old fishing reels for a long time now.  Many of my unanswered questions have answers, if one is only willing to investigate the findings of previous investigators.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI am slowly realizing that many people much more knowledgeable then myself have been collecting old fishing reels for a long time now.  Many of my unanswered questions have answers, if one is only willing to investigate the findings of previous investigators

I believe that the day after something begins its existence, someone---somewhere begins collecting and accumulating information about it.

The reason I wrote about Penn was because no one else had. That did not mean there was no information about Penn in the written word, all that meant was there was simply not a easy way to get the info you wanted. When I starting buying, selling and collecting Penn reels I looked for a book about them. You would think with all the books that have been written in the last 75 years, a book would have been written about a product that is used by thousands of people for fun and food purposes. Wrong >:(  Penn info was spread out over thousands of pages of out of print catalogs, shop manuals, ephemera, and hearsay, but no book. :-[ :-[All the information about everything is out there, somewhere. We just have to put it together :-\

foakes

Two millenniums past, there was a devout group known loosely as the Gnostics.

They were a very strict religious group -- and regardless of their beliefs and interpretations -- one thing they did do, was -- amass and save many of the early Gospels, letters, and books that were part of the historical accounts of Early Christianity -- from just before Jesus, to a couple of centuries after his earthly appearance.

The problem was -- they were so careful to keep everything to themselves (for safekeeping, and to not be persecuted by other groups) -- much of their storehouses of reported Christian history and first person accounts were stored away and hidden in buried clay jars -- only to be discovered in Egypt, in 1945.  

Many of the manuscripts and reportings were ruined or destroyed -- and also some other accounts and Gospels were discovered that were not included in the common Bibles of our modern time -- such as the King James Bible, and other collections of historical biblical accounts, letters, and gospels.

While trying to do the right thing -- many important facts and early first hand versions of events, were sadly lost.

Before the internet (25 years ago) I had a friend whose hobby and passion was Geneology.  He would do research using methods such as mailing letters, traveling to distant states and cemeteries and counties -- just to find another thread of information in order to continue his work.

Today, we have the Internet -- which has enabled us to quickly find additional and much more easily accessible information about nearly any subject.

The Internet has also allowed us to have forums like this one, as well as others -- to share information freely and instantly.

I for one, am very grateful for this technology -- and we might learn a lesson from the earlier information keepers -- Share, Include, express transparency, be respectful, and keep sharing.

This is how knowledge and information are passed onto the next generation of researchers.

And...

Never post anything on the Internet that you would not want published in the local newspaper!  Or especially anything you would be embarrassed for your mother to read...

Thanks for your work, Michael -- as it also encourages others to possibly follow in your footsteps.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Fred,

Thanks for the kudos. I will try to continue to share the history as I see it and hope I get it as correct as possible. Anyone that feels they want to join in is more than welcome. There is no such thing as a flooded market of information, there is always room for more.

Tightlines667

Ever since I got my OC 'Dover Club', I have been on the look out for an 'Ike Walton Club' companion reel.  Thanks to a friend, I now have my 'Ike'.  It has the Tarpon style handle knob, and later style drag too.  I believe this reel is late 1920s, early 1930s.

I am axiously awaiting an OC book to learn more.  Or maybe Mike can share some knowledge on the history of this model?

*BTW the box and reel care/parts schematic pictured is for a later and different model (a 'St. Lucie' no. 981).
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

John,

In the May, 2015 issue of the ORCA publication, The Reel News, I wrote an article about the Ike Walton model. It originates in the mid 1920's as a Dover Club hybrid and stays in production up to WW II. The build style varies during its production. The use of the Issac Walton name was very popular in the early 20th Century, especially in Ocean City products.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 14, 2015, 05:54:19 AM
John,

In the May, 2015 issue of the ORCA publication, The Reel News, I wrote an article about the Ike Walton model. It originates in the mid 1920's as a Dover Club hybrid and stays in production up to WW II. The build style varies during its production. The use of the Issac Walton name was very popular in the early 20th Century, especially in Ocean City products.

Great article Mike! 

According to the article, my reel is a 1929 (or later model).  Just wondering how long the reel may have been produced for.  My 300yd model sold for $25 in 1929.  That is ~$345 adjusted for inflation.  These were definately high end reels of the day.  The drag design on this reel is interesting, and represents some significant feats of engineering.  Also, the 11 tooth ratchet leaves very little handle backplay.  I wonder why Penn didn't use more teeth on their ratchets?

Now I just need to find the rarer 1927/28 model, not depicted in the catalogs.
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

Glad you enjoyed that article. The interesting aspect of New discoveries is that their origins are difficult to pin down. The First Ike Walton reel goes back further than the May article states. From the time I wrote that article I found some more Ocean City ephemera. Being that the first Ocean City catalog is a 1931 and the company opened its doors in 1923, there is a gap of documentation that has to be filled in with Trade Catalogs and ephemera. The ephemera could come from almost any magazine or pulp publication of the era. I discovered a page from the obscure Folsom Arms catalog of 1924 that has the Dover Club and Early Ike Walton model I pictured in the article. So there will be an update to that article when the book is released some time in the not to distant future ( I hope). I have to finish writing it first......................<:O(

Following the model throughout its production history is a bit of a task. So far my before the war research places its beginnings in 1924 and continues its production until 1942, then it returns in 1955 with a new model number and stays into production until 1957. In 1958, Ocean City is now under the umbrella of True Temper Corporation, I am not researching True Temper, so that is where my work stops. Basically Ocean City Mfg. Company has a production history under its own name from 1923 to 1957. The glory days of the brand are pre-WW II. 

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'm coming in a bit late on this post but we have a neighbor that lived around the corner from us who's husband wrote about fishing in the field and stream I believe and was quite a fishing enthusiast, I had never met myself and he passed away some years back. Her last name is Ellis. Could it be possible that she is the wife of this man? Maryann has moved and now lives in Wanamassa NJ but we are in touch with her from time to time, I'm going to give her a call and see if this is about her late Husband.

It is  longshot; but, can't hurt to ask.

Penn Chronology

QuoteNow I just need to find the rarer 1927/28 model, not depicted in the catalogs.

John,

The reel on the left is the Ike Walton / Dover Club hybrid, the one on the right is closer to your model. I have to say, if you see one like the reel on the left, grab it. They are very hard to find. I think I remember one other. As far as I know, there are only two found, mine and one other ORCA member I believe has one. If one pops up, do not hesitate. They are fairly elusive and not many people even know they exist, so their price will probably not be high, unless the sale goes public.

Alto Mare

Love the looks of these older reels, thanks for sharing Mike.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteLove the looks of these older reels, thanks for sharing Mike.

These old Ike Walton models were made of German Silver and Bakelite. The handle knobs are wood. Both reels are early Ocean City models from the 1920's.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI just spoke to Maryann and it is a coincidence but her last name is Illis not Ellis....stopped me. How ever her husbands name was Robert Illis so there are some similarities there beside the fishing interests. My mistake, but in my defense it was very coincidental.

That's OK, now we know. Never hurts to follow a lead.

Thanks for trying.