OCEAN CITY and Other OLD REELS ...

Started by ez2cdave, February 10, 2015, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Your combo looks like it'ed be a good "don't even clean it up" wall hanger.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on December 09, 2018, 04:35:43 AM
Careful Alex.  You could be on a dangerous path.  :) :) :)
-steve

ooh Steve amigo, I know Im alredy in the danger zone

its easy just to take the wallet and buy a new shiny reel, but is more satistactory to find this old gems, restore them and fish them.
The Baja Guy

CooldadE

I found this on a local Craigslist. I would categorize it as " other old reel " not a clue as to name or age but it's an odd one...
Looks like it retrieves from the underside of the reel. A lefty to boot ...

][/img]

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Gfish

Wow. The frame, stand & crank look homemade. Maybe the spool & gears, etc. came from a complete reel and the guy modified it, but why? It looks like a pretty big spool.
Do you have it Cool'?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

CooldadE

I didn't buy the setup so I'm just looking at the pic like y'all... the upper part looks manufactured (maybe cast) but the thin base that fastens the reel to the rod looks fabricated. Along with that bent wire that looks like it might some how manage the line. It also appears to be direct drive with no drag.  It's about 40 miles away from me so not close enough for me to just go take a look. I mean it's not like a 14/0 for $150 ... I would and did travel for that one.

Cool

oldmanjoe

A left hand reel , that explains it  .       The stick looks interesting !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

1badf350

Looking at the handle, gearing, and line lay, it looks like a right handed, "underslung" reel.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

CooldadE

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 13, 2019, 02:10:28 PM
Looking at the handle, gearing, and line lay, it looks like a right handed, "underslung" reel.

I thought the same thing... it appears to be direct drive so using it underslung I think you would have to turn the handle counterclockwise. I might be wrong. strange bird !
Hmmm, the more I look at it ... it might be an underslung setup.

Cool

1badf350

I see two gears so it appears clockwise crank
-Chris

CooldadE

cdaline

I've seen a couple of these listed in this post. Thought I'd show mine. I do not know a lot
about the Ocean City line but the reel just seems like quality build in my hands. I would
appreciate if someone could give me a time frame for the build on this reel. I do know that
this reel could be put right back to work today. Everything works . Clean up , grease, and lube
was enjoyable. I did not take it to "show ready" but is easy on the eyes. Might just have to
seek out some of the earlier Ocean City's.

late edit... re-read the entire posting... it appears some iteration of the 112 was available as
early as 1935. For much of its' production it appears to have included "Bay City" on the tag/box.
My reel is of more recent production. Value range in the "$25" on a good day for reels like
mine... mint (boxed) warrant $50-$75. A well made reel, not necessarily drawing much collector
interest... decent quality. Thanks to all that shared the knowledge.

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/VA2lqVJ

Penn Chronology

Quoteate edit... re-read the entire posting... it appears some iteration of the 112 was available as
early as 1935. For much of its' production it appears to have included "Bay City" on the tag/box.

The earliest catalog offering of the Bay City is in the 1931 Ocean City catalog. I have brochures from earlier dates but they do not show a Model 112, Bay City reel. Here it is in the 1931 catalog.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI've seen a couple of these listed in this post. Thought I'd show mine. I do not know a lot
about the Ocean City line but the reel just seems like quality build in my hands. I would
appreciate if someone could give me a time frame for the build on this reel. I do know that
this reel could be put right back to work today. Everything works . Clean up , grease, and lube
was enjoyable. I did not take it to "show ready" but is easy on the eyes. Might just have to
seek out some of the earlier Ocean City's.

Your reel is a right before the war edition. Here it is in the 1942 catalog.

cdaline

Penn Chronology...

Wow ! Thank you very much. I enjoy the history almost as much as I enjoy the reel ! I hope
it is ok that I saved your photos to my archive... I will keep them personal. Really appreciate
your sharing the background. Thanks again. (I led  sheltered childhood... only Penn's in our stable
growing up (Sea of Cortez).... maybe the Ocean City line was more of an East Coast market) ?

Great site, great info.

Charles