OCEAN CITY and Other OLD REELS ...

Started by ez2cdave, February 10, 2015, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkb8

Clean  up a ocean city 612 (true temper) the other day it was in poor condition, but I was impressed built to last ,all steel gears, double bar's,and a big drag. One question I have Mike mentions that the 14/0 and 16/0 had different size drag washer this 12/0 has the same  set up.???

Penn Chronology

The set up is the same but the sizes are different. The outside diameter of a 12/0 drag cup is 1 9/16 inches. A 16/0 drag cup outside diameter is 2 inches. Big difference.

1badf350

Quote from: Penn Chronology on September 04, 2020, 08:27:22 PM
The set up is the same but the sizes are different. The outside diameter of a 12/0 drag cup is 1 9/16 inches. A 16/0 drag cup outside diameter is 2 inches. Big difference.
Mike ive got 610s and 612s with noticeably different size drag cups. The later models, even pre True Temper, have the same 2" size drag cups as the 614 and 616.  The earlier 610 and 612 has the 1 9/16 drag cup.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

1) left to right 610 to 616 showing same size drag cups and handles
2) 612 and 614 with same size drag cups and handles
3 and 4) earlier 612 next to later 612 showing the difference in drag cup and handle size (length)

Later in their run, the 610 and 612 shared the same size drag cups and handles as the 614 and 616. The earlier versions had smaller drag cups and shorter handles.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Donnyboat

They look great Chris, interesting, & thank you to Kim, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Sharkb8

Thanks Mike and Chris I tried to look up some pictures of the reel but they don't show the drag set up clearly. Chris they are good photos you can see the difference thanks for posting. Mike, I would like to get a copy of the ocean city reels book can I order it for you?I will post my small collection of ocean city reels on here soon .

Kim

ourford

I just picked up a yard sale Big Game 6051. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the reel. There are things that I would consider an improvement on the Penns of the same vintage.

Vic

Penn Chronology

Shootr2003

I have a small conventional Ocean City, I got it with some Mitchel stuff at a yard sale, I believe it's a 1500 ,it works and is wound with what looks like black linen braid,I'll have to dig it out and send photos.I'm a Mitchell guy but I'm also a Penn guy too I own a bunch of each and still swear by my Mitchell 300's I have newer stuff,but the 300's are every bit as good and the Penns,?, artwork,beauty and still usable,I rework them,present project a 285,and a Senator.
If a man sails the seas, with no woman around, is he still wrong?

kevin cozens

i got 3 ocean city reels on ebay at the moment.
They would make a lovely project or 2 or maybe provide some useful parts

ourford

Just picked up an old OC free spool. Unusual handle that says Governor.
Vic

oldmanjoe

:)    That is a nice find .   I would like to see the followup pictures after a clean up ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

ourford

I couldn't resist taking the handle apart. Now I know why it looks like it does. The top plate is concave so it pops up as you remove the screws. There's a free hub inside with friction washers on both sides. A little insurance for your main gear.
Vic

ourford

Handle side cleaned up. I think the frame will take about a week... When I was cleaning the handle a date appeared on the back. I'm guessing it's a patent date
Jan. 14. '02

Vic

foakes

Beautiful restore job on a solid old OC, Ourford —-

A little black paint or Ebony black stain can be worked into the crank knob —- then a little polishing or clear can be applied afterwards.

I generally like to do some black ebony stain first so it soaks into and stabilizes the knob somewhat —- then a thin coat of black enamel either lightly brushed or sprayed.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.