Ugly Stik Tiger Lite

Started by coastal_dan, February 13, 2015, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

I know custom rods or some of the more expensive brands are of choice...but sometimes a stick at a bargain price is what we are looking for.  So, with that said, I really like how these rods felt, picked one up at the Cabela's at the Christiana Mall, it was the 5'-8" XH jigging stick and it was $69.99; they also had a 6'-3" Heavy, which may be better for trolling.  I'd like to use it bottom fishing when deep dropping, as well as swapping on a bigger reel when chunking/trolling.  Anyone using these rods?  Good bad experience?

http://www.uglystik.com/Ugly-Stik-Tiger%C2%AE-Jigging-Rod/1292170,default,pd.html

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

alantani

fished with these for many years, "back in the day."  they were fine for the cost. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Newell Nut

What I see manufacturers doing now is using cheap components for a profit. The blanks are okay.
Early summer one of our regular ladies asked me to buy her a rod and she gave me a budget number. Went to West Marine and bought her an ugly stick. The rod worked fine but about 8 weeks later the guides were rusting bad.
I was just getting into building rods and after I did a few marble jobs on the Pastime she asked me to make hers pink and black marble.
I removed the guides and replaced with the Pac Bac TW twisted wire SS guides and marbled as she asked and she loves the rod now.

Cheap guides on cheap rods are trouble BUT you have to do what your budget allows.

Aiala

I have a couple of Tigers... paired them with double-dogged Jigmasters, they handled YTs and BFTs quite readily. Of course, upon return I washed them down, dried them thoroughly (especially the guides), and put them in a cedar closet. As of the moment, not a speck of rust or corrosion.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

TechTeach

I have a few of those. But you need to find them used and buy the ones that say Made in the USA on them.

The quality of components is better and the blank seems stiffer to me. Both of mine I have rebuild with better guides because I like the feel of the blank.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Keta

They are adequate but not high quality.  I shortened the butt on one for a friends wife and found the blank to be inconsistent.  Having said this I will have to say I have one I use for a loaner rod.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: Keta on February 14, 2015, 02:26:30 PM
I will have to say I have one I use for a loaner rod.

Mine are loaners, too... stepson.  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

They are tough and some people do not handle a high $ rod with the respect they should.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

They are strong rods for the price.  Great for kids and the folks that like to close the door or step on rods.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

Thanks for all the input!  This will most likely get a bit beat up on head boat trips and kayak sharking, so I'll start with a cheaper rod and see what happens from there. :D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on February 13, 2015, 10:31:02 PM
fished with these for many years, "back in the day."  they were fine for the cost. 
I still use these today.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Slazmo

The good olé ugly stick.

I bought a Ugly Stick Gold back in 2002 and it came fitted out with 5 of the most crappy guides one could ever imagined to stick on a fishing rod.

Roll on 2013 I bought 8 plus tip in Fuji Alconite and necessary bindings and flex coat. I spent a day building it up as necessary and how the blank flexed as it was a fast taper.

Now I consider it to be one of the best rods I have put my hands on.  It's super tough and gives me the required feel and preformance that it couldnt do straight out of the shop.

Put aside the initial cost to buy and then to  upgrade guides etc I am doubtfull that I could have found an similar rod in a rack for its intended purpose.

I love Ugly Sticks for their unwavering ability to work and get abused and perform year in year out. You can't abuse these graphite custom made rods as they seem to just go "pop"...

Ron Jones

The original question was for the Tiger Light, which is a newer rod built completely differently.  I have seen these used all over the island and they seem to be great rods. Lighter and thinner than the conventional Tiger rods, I haven't used one but I consider one every time I go into a shop.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

nabbed one at a yard sale years ago for $5; as otherwise noted below crappy guides but i liked the action. getting ready to finally rebuild but trying to color match paint to old-skool Fenglass  mud-orange color; its taking a bit of mixing to get there.  paintinmg just because I'm making a "matched" rod also so they will pair up. Will then wrap with pac bays but havent decided whether to go with al oxide or SS braced; trying for a retro look like the original Power Stick maybe with the blue / white / red trim wraps on the mud balnk. Plan to pair with a newell'ed 501 / power handle. not sure what i'm gonna use it for but it will make a nice lighter jig outfit; newell'd 500 on heavier stick. but then again i have a cherry 500S...you can go crazy not to mention broke trying to marry up all the orphans