Checking free spool time on Curado

Started by RAM3, November 15, 2010, 08:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout250

got in on this late,but will offer this bit of advice,All ,y baitcasters are shimano either curados or the old glod chronarch which have the same bearing setup as your 200bsf. If you had to bust a beaing loose from rust you are probably better off chunking it an replacing. The casting distance on these reels are controled by the bearing on the ends of the spool shaft and this bearing you were talking about being rusted up. I clean these 3 bearings using vmp napatha or lighter fluid dry out then using a sharpened off 3/8' wood dowel will put oil( alight weight oil such as the rocket fuel, rem oil, quatum hot sauce etc) holding the dowel spin the bearing with your thumb you will feel the oil seat in and bearing smooth out, i set the bearing on a clean paper towel place 1 drop of oil and it and let it weep thru while i clean the rest of the reel, i use one of the bearing packers that alan sells to pack the other bearing with grease to prolong bearing life, then reassemble the reel. These reels are sensitive to too much oil as not enough, also make sure that you donot have grease on the spool shaft where it goes thru the pinion gear, shimano tells us to work grease into about a 1/4 to 1/2 of main drive grear to advoid getting to much on spool shaft.
Good luck as you ahve probably already gotten problem worked out
Jim