ROD MAINTENANCE

Started by LTM, February 15, 2015, 05:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Jon & rod builders,

What is your maintenance process for pre/after fishing for your rods and products used?

Thanx,

Leo

Keta

On the coast or boat I flush with fresh water, back home a bit of dish soap and fresh water.  A dilute vinegar solution will remove stubborn scales but needs to be fully rinsed off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Newell Nut

I just put Dawn in a spray bottle with water and wash reels and rods and then spray heavy and let dry.

Keta

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 15, 2015, 07:41:57 PM
I just put Dawn in a spray bottle with water....

She doesn't get mad?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I just use warm water...yes, my rods are in the shower with me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

x2 for the shower - But I no longer take them to bed with me (the wife was complaining) :D

Slazmo

PRE FISH: As I'm routine based my rods and reels are always ready to go however I add a drop of oil down the spool / pinion shaft to ensure oil is there. Funny how oil can dissipate while in long term storage...

POST FISH: Reels get a misting and not forced into any recessed areas.  Water is dribbled over the line of the spool to get rid of as much salt as humanly possible. Then left to dry on a shelf for a few days prior to storage in a air tight box with desiccant packs and VCI paper everywhere in between reels for absolute corrosion protection.

Rods are washed down separately without reels attached. This with a fan function of the hose attachment which is quiet forceful and pushes all salt etc off the rod efficiently. This blasts salt off the rod and guides. I check every now and again the guides with a length of ladies pantyhose / stocking for cracks in the guides etc.

I also put a minute drop of silicone oil between the reel seat winch and hood which allows it not to bind as it's graphite. I ensure that no sand comes in contact with it so I don't worry about scoring.

I usually apply a polish called Nu Finish every year, however nowI I'm back to using Mr Sheen which is applied to a fluffy microfiber cloth and that cloth used a multitude of times before washing.
My reels and those I service get a going over with it also. Just makes them shine and gives some protection to the harsh environment they're exposed to. 

So far so good and that's in out harsh Aussie climate.

LTM

Thanx for the comments so far. Seems only one person puts some kind of wax on his rods. Jon, please chime in when you can.

Leo

TechTeach

I clean them and service the reels like everyone else, but I spray the guides and wipe down the reels with Fluid Film at least once a season, sometimes more if the rod is being used alot.

Works real good on anodized parts.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Tunacious

For my reels: I clamp down the drags and rinse them off with cold water in the kitchen sink. I use my fingers to rub off any salt or grime. I then let the reels air dry for a couple days and then store them. With one reel manufacturer I need to break down the reel within one week of using them to wipe off the internals really well.

Rods: I use a garden hose to rinse off each rod. While one hand is lightly spraying with the hose, my other is rubbing off any salt etc. from each guide. I start at the top and work my way down. I then dry off each rod with a soft cloth and store them. If the rod uses an aluminum reel seat, I also wipe on some corrosion-x.

Jeri

Hi

For years before we started building rod commercially, we used any mild domestic cleaning polish – n the UK it was Sheen. Subsequently as we are building and using our own rods in a very harsh environment, we have found a local product called 'Mr. Min' – another mild cleaning polish.

These are especially good as they contain silicone, and very little sticks to silicone. Older rods are just washed and allowed to air dry with a mild washing up liquid, and rinsed off. Then the silicone polish is used all over everything on the rod, reel seats, blanks and handles, then lightly buffed off. Little more is necessary, as the silicone does slow down all the various salt, dust, sand and other sticking to the rod.

This sort of close attention also acts as your personal inspection of the rod, as you will also see any defective situations developing, cracked whippings or even cracked rings. Basically a little 'TLC', and your rods will last for ages.

One thing we have found particularly good with this polish is that we use it on 'carbon to carbon' joints on multi-piece rods, and virtually never get stuck ferrules. Just spray it down the female joint, and wipe some over the male joint. This is a hug problem area for folks with 3 piece surf rods, they need to be pushed home firm to avoid breakages, but also need to come apart later.

A slight divergence – for those travelling with rods by plane to distant waters – avoid assembling multi-piece rods for a while after arrival, until they have fully warmed up to the local climate. As while they were in the aircraft hold – they get seriously cold, and stay cold for a while in your transport tube. Seen a lot of rushing anglers assemble rods as soon as they arrive, to suffer huge problems just prior to departure.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

LTM

Simon Anderson

I rinse, wipe dry and bag all rods after use, you may want to apply car wax to your rods as this also repels water and maintains the shine.
I also apply silicone spray at times to eyes to keep the feet clean of surface rust build up (if any) a soft brass brush also works wonders.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

bill19803

i lock  down  drags,  brush  wish  dawn  and   water   with   brush,   spray  with water  and let  air  dry  and  then  spray   rods  with pledge, spray reels   with  boeshield

thorhammer

spray down with hose, wipe off. wd40 on a rag if youre so inclined. I keep an eye on all mine in the racks every so often (ok I look at them daily) to make sure I didnt miss anything. Others already covered drag tighteniang, etc. for rinse. i used mine regularly and beyond tht lived at 3/4 mile or closer to ocean and didnt have any issues as long as everything was properly lubed inside and rinsed well outside...

KEY   POINT: MAKE SURE YOU GREASE FRAME SCREWS AND MOST DEFINITELY GREASE REEL STANDS HEAVILY IF YOU DO NOT ROUTINELY REMOVE REELS FROM RODS!!!!!!!!!