Does anyone recognize these parts?

Started by FatTuna, February 21, 2015, 09:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

Ah, thanks for clearing that up ;D. I will be staying away from those. I thought that I stumbled upon a hot deal.

Keta

Allan C's PRO Challenger products are the real "hot deal".
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

I analyzed these parts again before I reassembled the reel. The pinion gear looks a lot like the global tackle gear to me. Newell or global?

fIsHsTiiCkS

Shoot a close up of the main and I can tell you.

FatTuna

Hi fishstiicks. I put the reel back together last night. I will take some pics of the main the next time I open her up. The pics from the first page are the best I have at the moment. Both pictures are of the same gear, different angle.

The reason that I think it's a global is because I looked at photos of a Newell pinion gear that fits a jigmaster 500 and it looked different then the one I have. Do you know if there were different Newell gear sets made to fit a jigmaster or just the one?

Also, I've never used aftermarket stainless gears before. I read that they make some noise. Would you say that they feel similar to a reel with worn gears? I have a feeling the gears in this one are a bit worn which leads me to believe it must be a global as well. They still work but feel a bit rough.

Btw, I figured out the other day that if you click a picture on here you can zoom in on it. Not sure if that helps.

Keta

The global gears shed some kind of plating when used.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Yes, SS gears are noisy and can feel rough. Newell did make a gear set for the jigmaster. I believe those are the global Gears. They should be fine for now and just swap them out when they wear out.

Shark Hunter

I wouldn't chance it Sean.
I bought a 500 off ebay that had those gears. I pitched them.
I would trust stock ones first.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

That really looks like a newell gear set.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 23, 2015, 04:50:25 AM
That really looks like a newell gear set.

Me too, no spalling of the plating.

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

The only reason I pitched mine, because the seller told me they were the inferior ones.
If there is any doubt you might have a Newell set. Keep those! ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

Or send them to me for proper disposal.... ;D

Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

i hope we got this straightened out.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

day0ne

I thought the ones with the plating on the pinion came from bite-fc on ebay. I have a 4/0 set. They are the ones with the writing on the back of the main gear.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter