Electric/Hydraulic Trailer Brakes

Started by Wally15, February 21, 2015, 02:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

I did a search of the website for E/H brakes and only found one post from Max Doubt about 3 years ago. I've owned several boat trailers with surge brakes, and have never been totally happy with the trailer braking with any of them. I even ordered 4 wheel discs on my 2010 Seahawk tandem axle thinking the extra set of discs would help. The improvement was negligible. My boat and trailer weigh about the same as my truck (approx. 7K lbs). I'd guess the truck was probably doing 3/4's of the total braking. A month ago I bit the bullet and ordered a BrakeRite II EOH system for the trailer. The improvement in braking is amazing. Plus I now have trailer brakes while backing down steep/wet/slick ramps.
Historically, I only put about 2000 miles per year on my boat trailer. I hope to do more fishing (and towing) this year since fuel is cheaper. I now feel a lot better about towing the boat.
It's not a cheap upgrade. I already owned a brake controller (Prodigy P2), and I spent maybe $750 on the complete EOH install. Did it myself. For those of you that tow quite a bit, I highly recommend this upgrade. My future peace of mind is worth $750.
Wally
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Meanwhile

I could not agree more.  My boat is a 30' Grady and towing that thing without E/H brakes was not an option.  It was the first thing I had upgraded.  Just as an aside, if you want to tow in BC, you had better have E/H.  There is a weight limit but it is fairly light.  My old Striper 2601 also had E/H installed and I'll never go back.  The safety factor is huge. 

Keta

Nice and compact unit, thanks for posting.

Randy (No Bail), I missed you on Sunday and Saturday was hectic.  I'll come up and visit next month.  I was first in last out both days and I'm beat.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain