Help! How make clicker smoother

Started by geghe, February 22, 2015, 05:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geghe

Hi guys, this is my first post in this forum.
I write from Italy, sorry for my bad language.
I have a problem: I usually fish for European Seabass with live bait and I use fish with the free spool, but the clicker on, for advise when the fish is biting.
I bought a Accurate Boss Magnum 197 and the clicker is to strong for the use that I do; the reel need to much tension for release the line and the fish advice this tension.
So I need to modify the clicker to make it more smooth!

This is the Accurate clicker sistem (picture taken on the forum):

This scheme display the working of the clicker:

Do you know how I can make the clicker smoother?

If I modify the dog and make it smaller, do you think that will need less tension for move the clicker?

What do you think about?

Thanks
Geghe

locknut

Welcome to our world although not a clicker solution how about using a light drag setting instead of the clicker to control line run.

Tightlines667

I think your idea should work, just be careful not to renove too much material.  Do a little at a time and test.  The other way would be to remove a little materisl from the sides of the clicker pawl, so that it does not seat as close too the ratchet.  However, this would make it looser as well.  Or you could remove material from the ratchet itself,  this would ensure the clicker would nainrain a solid 2 positions, but could be costly if not done properly.  I would order a few extra pawls and try your idea first.

Let us know how it works out.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

John's right--

Your idea should work just fine.

If it were me, I would not use a Dremel or power grinding wheel on the clicker pawl.

Just put the pawl in a vise -- then hand file.  Must be very smooth -- no burrs.

Then a little grease on the pawl would help also during operation.

Just a little at a time -- until it is where you want it.

Let us know how it works.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

geghe

Thanks for your reply!
I will try on a copy of the dog, so as not to damage the original part  ;)
I will uptade you.

Bye

geghe

Hi guys, I'm back!
I have replicated the original clicker and modified it to make it smoother.

The new clicker is a little bit shorter, as was in my idea, and it work very well!!!!
It's need less strengt to turn the spool with free drag and clicker on. I'm very very happy.

So I did also a new custom lever, start from my sketch and this is the result (I have applied the Anyfish/Surecatch knob)