SS Newell Sleeves

Started by Cortez_Conversions, February 25, 2015, 03:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Check Toms store for the sleeve.

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: russ1962 on August 28, 2016, 04:07:34 PM
Are the ss gear sleeves still available for the 200-300 G-series?

If so, is there a modified version that will work in the older P-series?

The easiest thing to do would be to replace the gears with a newer model.
Barring that, Newell Nut mentioned cutting a delrin spacer to replace the under gear washer. You will have to replace the dog(s) as well to the newer style.
I have them available, but not listed on the web site, so just holler if you want them.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

fishmeluck

I've got the Cortez SS Sleeve and Bryan Young's drag upgrade in my 338 and the Cortez SS Sleeve in my 533. The 338 hasn't been fished yet, but the 533 has been fished yo-yo and dropper loop several times, got a few yellows, and the reel feels great.

I've been thinking thinking about upgrading the drag in the 533 next, mainly to make it easier to set the drag and get smoother drag, and maybe upgrading the drags in my 220, 229, and 332 as well, because well, you can never have too much drag, right?. And I was wondering, do the Newell brass gear sleeves actually have the same problem as the Penns, that is, rounding off the brass gear sleeve at higher drag settings? Or, is the sleeve upgrade mainly for corrosion resistance? [The Newell sleeve design is a little different than the Penn, and I never really thought about that when upgrading the 338 and 533 gear sleeves. I just wanted them! :)]
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Newell Nut

The Newell OEM gear sleeve is hardened bronze and no issues really. The SS sleeves were made to give us a 10 tooth capability in all the newells (early versions had 8) and the best part is Tom's machining is very sweet and better than factory originals.

Corroded

Hello tom i was wondering if you have any 200 gear sleeves in stock. I also need a dog to go with that. Thank you!

Cortez_Conversions

The 200/300/400 sleeves are back in stock! Thanks for your patience.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Brendan

Cortez_Conversions

All of these sleeves are back in stock!