How many times on the dryer ?

Started by Marcq, February 26, 2015, 11:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

The question was about temperature on application. What I would prefer is 70-72 but like Newell Nut said you can't have that all the time. I've seen no problem with temperature. But I do heat my epoxy.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Fishy247

I usually go 3-4 times on the drier on a new build(including a thin coat on the underwrap). I've found that it's usually ready for the next coat 6-8 hours after applying the first. I'm using the D2 epoxy and my finishes are turning out pretty nice, but it does take several coats to get the desired thickness. For repairing a guide or 2, I think I'm going to start using a high build epoxy instead. Most of my repairs are on factory wrapped rods, not real intricate wraps. Only having the one dryer makes it difficult to get a rhythm going. 5 minutes to replace the guide, 8 hours per coat....

steelfish

Quote from: Fishy247 on January 18, 2019, 06:29:15 PM
. Only having the one dryer makes it difficult to get a rhythm going. 5 minutes to replace the guide, 8 hours per coat....

yep, one guide repair is imposible for me in one coat and also suffer like you with one dryer.

what I been doing lately is to put the first light coat and wait between 3 or 4 hours, the epoxy will be still tacky but not sticky, so in my books its workable for a 2nd coat, you need to add the 2nd coat with care like "pouring it" over without pressing the brush that much that will give you the desired thickness and dont need to wait 6 hrs plus another 6 hrs or more per coat, maybe not that much time saved but it feels like it was done in one shot  ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

Fishy247

Roger that. I'll probably go with 2 coats with the high build, that way I can get a comparable thickness for these factory wraps. My main thing is that I'd like to be able to get a repair done and back to the customer in a day. Kinda hard to do with 3-4 coats! I might just bite the bullet and buy one of those wall-mount 6 rod dryers....