Rare Catches are Worth Mentioning

Started by ChileRelleno, March 02, 2015, 03:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Some catches are so rare that they deserve mention and need to be shared as widely as possible.

Last night in Panama City, FL a 9' 8.5" Great White was caught, data gathered, tagged & then released healthy... From the beach.
This is very noteworthy for its rarity, this is only the third land based GW catch in the US that I know of.
A true lifetime catch for US waters.  Not so rare elsewhere, but here...  WOW!

https://www.facebook.com/DarkSideSharkers/photos_stream

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

BMITCH

NICE!! Makes you think don't it Daron?? Especially at night yakin those baits out there. You would kinda look like a seal to them I bet.
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

That is not far from where I fish. That Guy put in a lot of hours to catch that Beast!
In reality, I think they have been there all along.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Yeah, I agree. I think there's more of them around than we would like to know about :o
luck is the residue of design.

Southernsharker

I've seen some big sharks here in jacksonville and st. Augustine during the years yakking baits. I've had some shadows in January bigger then my yak underneath it that always makes me wonder if there whites. People say they just started showing up but like some say they've always been here just now being tagged .

Dominick

Wow!  I might take up sharking from the beach.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

That's an awesome catch, from the beach no less. :o
That angler has hit the pinnacle for land based shark fishing... it's time for him to find a new hobby. ;D
Be safe out there gents,
Dom

Marcq

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dominick on March 03, 2015, 05:40:22 AM
Whenever you are ready Dominick! I live for it. Look at those eyes on that beast!
It will give you Nightmares!
There was a Jaws Marathon Saturday Night. Right when he caught this.
I couldn't think of a more fantastic evening. Jaws Marathon while I was building Ted's Pot o' Gold and all the while, There was a Jaws being caught! ;D
That is a really rare catch.
Life is Good!

foakes

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 03, 2015, 06:36:19 AM
Quote from: Dominick on March 03, 2015, 05:40:22 AM
Whenever you are ready Dominick! I live for it. Look at those eyes on that beast!

A good Attorney would appreciate the eyes on that GW -- Cold, Black, Always calculating, Impartially Ruthless, Patiently awaiting the next opportunity -- but revealing nothing.

;D ;D ;D
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

harryk3616

thought they were a protected specie

coonhound

It was interesting watching a tracked Great White, Katharine, circle around an area I regularly fish last summer.  I'm sure they've always been out there, but it's different when you see how close to shore they roam and in the same areas I grew up fishing. 

Cape San Blas (not far from there) has always been a big shark producer and it's common to see big bulls and tigers come on shore.  When I was a bit younger, we'd spend a morning fishing the stump hole and then finish up by putting on bigger shark rigs with whole mullet or any whole trash fish we caught.  After being spooled a few times, we got spooked and stopped messing with them.   :o

coonhound