Turks head and cording

Started by BMITCH, March 02, 2015, 08:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

I have a little project going that I could use some input on. What I would like to do is start my handle section of the rod with a Turks head knot ( like the seeker deckhand series of rods) than continue the cording all the way down to the butt section of rod and finish off with a Turks head knot. Can or has this been done and will I be able to attach my reel right over the cording. Or is it better to have the cork tape type handle. Any help here??

Also should I buy the jig for doing the Turks head knot. I did look at some tutorials on YouTube and free hand this looks like a difficult knot to make. Maybe the jig will just make it easier?
luck is the residue of design.

RTT

Bmitch

The Turks head jig would help.  I have seen several rods done as you are describing and they look awsome.  I have seen where they use the shrink tube over the area where the reel will be clamped.  Please post some pictures when you are done. 

Ray

rjones

Check out the rod building tutorial section on bloody decks there are step by step tutorials for turks head as well as corded grips.
Rob

BMITCH

Ray, I think they( Turks head and corded handles ) look cool also. I have a rod that I just changed out the lowere pistol grip type handle. Now I'm really looking to do a deckhand type and I saw the Turks head on the seeker rods and thought that was cool!

rjones- no I didn't think to look on BD. I will now. Thanks for the suggestion. My problem is that I want to see and hold a corded deckhand rod style. Kinda get the feel for it. Unfortunately this type rod is not very popular here in the NE. Tomorrow I'm heading out to one of the bigger shows in the NE. It's held in suffern NY. I hope to hold one of these style rods there.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll let you know if this ever comes to be.

Bob

Dominick

Quote from: BMITCH on March 06, 2015, 09:22:42 PM
Tomorrow I'm heading out to one of the bigger shows in the NE. It's held in suffern NY. Bob
Bob:  That's all well and good.  Did you check the road conditions?   ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BMITCH

Yeah Dominic were good to go. This snow thing is becoming old hat. This coming week we may see 50. WOOHOO! Now comes the great melt off. Come on spring!!

bluefish69

I might even open my windows if it hits 50*.    AC ????

Bob I hope you have plenty of Window Washer Fluid for the car.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

BMITCH

Made the show. Bit of a disappointment. Can you believe that there was not a single rod there with a deckie style grip?? Go figure that must be a west coast thing..? Anywho. I did find one seeker rod at the jigging world booth. No help with my decision though. Did get a bunch of time with Wes at the release reels booth. Very nice stuff. This new reel SM looks really nice for the surf. Wes went on to tell us that their gonna have a boat reel along the same lines as this SM. Can't wait too see these!

DBCFR

Yes it can be done most of my party boat rods are cord with Turks heads
45+ Years of fishing and rod building its been an adventure!

DBCFR

Pardon my messy wrapping bench but here is another one on a
Phenix 909H in Calstar colors with cord handles
Also here is a set of cord handle trigger seat cousins BT8050,BT8025,BT8020
all set up for Lexa HD 300 & 400 reels

David Hall

DBCFR