Spinning and baitcasting rod

Started by morpheus, April 30, 2017, 02:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morpheus

Hi all..
I have a shimano trevalla that has the finger holder,i guess its the bait casting rod...many people tell me that i cant use spinning reel on baitcasting rod..ive done this many times on my trevalla using a shimano calcutta...also using a spinning sedona..it works ok.i never had problem..
Why is there this saying is it because of rod bending the other way .thks

akfish

Fishing rods are made with a "spine" along one side of the blank. Bending against the spine can break the rod. However, newer blanks may not have a spine and may be very difficult to break. Also, the guides on a spinning rod are much larger than the guides on a bait caster to reduce interference when the line comes off the fixed spool as you cast. That said, most of us do this for fun. Use the rod you like -- although you may be increasing the chance it will break.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gfish

My first guess'ed be 'cause the finger holder'ed be stickin up right where your hand grabs the rod handle, while reelin in, in the "typical"(not with the spinning reel upside down) spinning rod/reel combo. fashion. I have this rod, but I've never put a spinner on it. I don't think the rod bend direction matters.
My wife is right handed and can't reel in with her left on the knob,  so turns the spinners upside down( the old right handers, that can't be converted) to use 'em. What ever works best!
Gfish
P.S., Thanks, Akfish, I never knew 'bout the spine thing. Disregard the last sentence, 1st paragraph.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

morpheus

Thks .guys..i heard about spline also...

Cor

Whatever works for you is OK.   I have build my rods with the spline either way, depending on what I wanted to achieve with it and I think with a spinning setup (guides at the bottom) it would be easier as the rod won't tend to twist.

If the trigger grip gets in your way.....cut it off neatly....that's what I would do ;D ;D
Cornelis

droppedit

Quote from: Cor on April 30, 2017, 07:13:18 PM
Whatever works for you is OK.   I have build my rods with the spline either way, depending on what I wanted to achieve with it and I think with a spinning setup (guides at the bottom) it would be easier as the rod won't tend to twist.

If the trigger grip gets in your way.....cut it off neatly....that's what I would do ;D ;D

I always build my spinning rods and fly rods with the spline on the bottom. For some crazy reason I cast more than I reel in big fish. Build it for casting and let the drag handle the big ones ;) I do have a couple of triggers that were cut and filed though you might want to change out the choke guide to a larger one for the spinning reel.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

philaroman

right tool for right job -- you can hammer w/ a screwdriver handle or [un]screw w/ a hammer claw, but why would you want to ???

Bryan Young

Since the "Spline" was brought up, here goes.

If you lay the butt of the rod on the ground, lay the rod tip in the palm of one hand, then near the middle of the fishing rod, you push down slightly with the palm of your hand and roll the rod, the rod would favor one spot for the bend of the rod.  This is how you find the spline.  The spline is the opposite of that bend.  Therefore, for spinners, the guides are normally placed on the opposite of the spline.  For conventional or bait caster reels, the guides are placed on the spline of the rod. 

If you want a stiffer rod, the blank is rotated 180 deg. and the guides are places opposite the spline.  The problem is that if you do this, the rod has a tendency to roll on you during a fight if the guides are slightly off.

So, if you would like to use your conventional travala rod with a spinner, the rod will be a little stiffer and you will have that trigger where the palm of you had should be.  Other than that, I don't see it as much of a problem.

If the guides are not located on or opposite the spline and let's say 90 deg. from the spline, then you have a high probability that the rod will break easier.  This is why I have a problem buying factory rods because not every builder takes the time to properly align the spline before wrapping on the guides.  I tend to go through a lot of rods looking for proper placement of the guides with reference to the spline, then proper placement of the guides regarding the bend, and it it checks out, I will buy it.  If not, I will not.  It's about 5% of all rods that I want to buy meet this criteria.  This is why custom built rods are the best.  Custom builders take the time to do this.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Another way to find the spline of the blank is to roll it on a table with a few feet hanging off the edge. The tip will have a slight downward angle at the spline on most rods. To see if a built rod was lined up on the spline check to see if the guides are straight. Most people will check by looking down the rod with one eye closed like a rifle sight. Your eye will follow the line of the guide train so even if the guides are off and curved towards the tip they will look straight. A better way to check is to hold the rod like you would fighting a fish, line up the 1st guide or stripper so you can see an equal amount of guide on each side of the blank like a half moon. Now follow the guide train up the rod and all the guides should have equal half moons sticking out. If they don't likely the rod wasn't built correctly and was not set up on the spline.
Hope that made sense. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

morpheus

Wow.thks a lot to all of you..that was very helpful