Grandad's old fishing rod

Started by txangler81, March 02, 2015, 08:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryk3616

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 04, 2015, 06:10:54 AM
That is one thing I have held onto over the years. I still have the same rods and reels I fished as a kid.
Mainly Pflueger and Daiwa Spinners. I have an old Cardinal on a Fenwick Rod hanging in the garage. That was the Cream of the Crop back then! ;)
hi   daron        grew up in florida as a kid,  fished mitchell  304 and 300's . after i came back to new york  i graduated to  the zebco cardinal spinners #4 and #6   love them, never a problem

Shark Hunter

I'll post a pic when I get home. I think this one actually did belong to my grandpa. My Uncle and him were always trading reels.
Life is Good!

txangler81

Well I think the reel was an eagle claw reel looking on ebay I found two brown eagle claw reels that look like the green spinfishers. Asked my Grandad and he didn't have a clue what it was he thought it might have been purple. lol

Dustin

txangler81

scratch that I found a zebco reel that looks just like the one that was on it. It is a zebco 37XAL.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281610776677?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I think I will try and get this one. Fred thank you very much for the offer. As far as the rod goes does anyone have any tricks to getting the two pieces apart.
Thanks
Dustin

Marcq

Quote from: txangler81 on March 05, 2015, 04:31:35 AM
As far as the rod goes does anyone have any tricks to getting the two pieces apart.
Thanks
Dustin

Some ice for 30 min and having a good grip(rubber gloves) as done it for me in the past

Marc..

foakes

Ice will likely work -- just depends on how long it has been stuck.

In severe cases (metal ferrules) --

Above and below the joint -- wind 3 or 4 layers of duct tape on each side of the joint.

Get 2 pair of vice grips -- adjust them carefully so that the glass does not compress -- just the duct tape.

Try and drip a little lubricant like penetrating oil or regular oil into the joint for a few hours.

Then carefully manipulate the vise grips in opposite directions.  This has always worked for me with the toughest stickers.

Of course, clean up the joints with "0000" steel wool and very fine emory cloth tape -- clean everything up, and a little candle wax will prevent this in the future.  The residue from the duct tape will come off with a little solvent.

Looks like a nice reel you found -- good luck on the auction.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Newell Nut

I like working on grandpa rods. A guy brought one to me today with bad threads but the guides are good so all this will get is rewrapped guides to keep it old looking but will have epoxy on the threads where there was none before. The wood handles looked great.

txangler81

I think the old wood handles look cool wouldn't mind having some one day can they be found to fit on any rod, or is it only specific rods that have them

Newell Nut

You can actually buy new wooden handles, burn them a little with a torch for color and they look cool. They are made mainly for solid blanks which are skinnier and this keeps them from getting to large. Just imagine the size of a wooden grip on 3/4" graphite butt or a 1" butt.
I actually have a vintage rod waiting for the right guy. Needs a bit of work of course but would be a cool old rod. It is about a 30 lb class. I have another one that is about 80 lb class too which is a real meat stick. I have an old St Croix too that is pretty strong.

txangler81

Reel 224

Dustin- Have you been able to free up the two piece yet? If not, try some WD-40 on the joint and let it set for a while you can apply it every hour or so after that settles for a few hours try it. Are you looking to keep the rod period correct? If so I would love to help you out with a refurbish of the old timer. I'm located in NJ if you want to ship it and trust that I won't keep it on you :D Just kidding. So you have some options now.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 04, 2015, 12:36:36 AM
Here is another grandpa rod I did for a friend here and it is an old TT and the handle had been chopped off. Ray fishes them one and loves the old grandpa rod that went camo. My knife making buddy turned a piece of Brazilian hardwood down to make the new handle.

hey Dwight awesome resurection compadre .. really nice but not a surprise coming from you

I was offered to trade some of my fresh water lures for a really old true temper rod 4540, I onle saw it on pictures and wooden grips look in good shape, reel seat is all greenish by oxidation and guides are shot, but looks like a nice restoration project
yours just gave me a lot of ideas .

The Baja Guy