New Shimano Torium HGA

Started by drewsung, March 06, 2015, 01:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: CapeFish on March 30, 2015, 06:33:47 PM
Quote from: drewsung on March 30, 2015, 03:25:52 PM
Pinion assist bearing, got rid of the dirtanium drags, smaller body, smaller spool, new handle, different coating on body.  Something like that

Why are they changing all the modern reels into darn little bass reels?

The fact of the matter is that probably 95% of the USA saltwater recreational catch can be landed with 200 yards of 30lb braid.

Basically, if the reel is strong enough then yes, what was formerly the size of an ultra-light trout or bass reel can land a 30lb salt water fish.

We fished 30lb mono for decades as the standard basic SW line....you only need a tiny reel to hold enough 30lb braid.

CapeFish

Quote from: johndtuttle on March 30, 2015, 06:42:39 PM
Pinion assist bearing, got rid of the dirtanium drags, smaller body, smaller spool, new handle, different coating on body.  Something like that

The fact of the matter is that probably 95% of the USA saltwater recreational catch can be landed with 200 yards of 30lb braid.

Basically, if the reel is strong enough then yes, what was formerly the size of an ultra-light trout or bass reel can land a 30lb salt water fish.

True, and our market is probably simply to small to have any impact on reel design, we like reels that can still cast with 800m of line on them e.g. the old Torium. I dread the day I have to start fishing all braid from the beach, will have to find a new job to pay for it all. As it is I go through about 6000m of mono in a season and I hate casting with braid, on top of it you have to change all your rod eyes to insanely expensive Fuji SiC eyes.

We fished 30lb mono for decades as the standard basic SW line....you only need a tiny reel to hold enough 30lb braid.

johndtuttle

yea, the new Torium 30 holds 350 yards of 30lb mono but the days of the large market for big old star drags is ending...

Or beginning if you take a look at the new "USA Senator" the wide one holds 580 yards of 40lb and is specifically designed for shore casting to large fish.

;)

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: johndtuttle on March 30, 2015, 08:14:30 PM
yea, the new Torium 30 holds 350 yards of 30lb mono but the days of the large market for big old star drags is ending...

Or beginning if you take a look at the new "USA Senator" the wide one holds 580 yards of 40lb and is specifically designed for shore casting to large fish.

;)

350 yards of 30lb. Mono is still A LOT of capacity when speaking in terms of braid, which is all I fish!

johndtuttle

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 30, 2015, 09:11:44 PM

;)

350 yards of 30lb. Mono is still A LOT of capacity when speaking in terms of braid, which is all I fish!

O yea its huge. Like 7-800 yards of 60lb braid. Far too much for use on pretty much anything that could actually pull that hard. Hence the trend towards smaller and smaller reels.

CapeFish

;)

OK, there is light at the end of the tunnel, that means it is close to the capacity of a Trinidad 40 or 50 e.g. at least 600m of 65lb braid and 200-300m 0.6mm topshot, now to try and find one in South Africa..........

franky

Pinion assist bearing, got rid of the dirtanium drags, smaller body, smaller spool, new handle, different coating on body.  Something like that

Ok, I finally got a chance to open the new Torium 30 HG this past weekend.  Too busy with household chores.  ;)

According to the Shimano description, the frame is smaller because they made the left sideplate one-piece attached to the frame.  This gives the user a feeling of handling a "smaller reel".  However, the size of the spool is suppose to be the same size as the older model Torium 30.

The overall weight of the reel is lighter than the original Torium because Shimano now uses an aluminum handle and star as opposed to the heavy metal ones they got on the original Toriums.

The new HG model comes with a seal on above the ARB which is good, but I don't know exacly how water tight it really is.  They got rid of the handle shaft bearing which now allowed them to make the roller clutch taller.

In reference to the Pinion Assist Bearing, some might call it a "Pinion Bearing", I would say that it is mostly there for stucture matters or keeping the spool shaft aligned.  This pinion bearing is NOT a function that provides a "free floating spool" effect like the Sealine SHA reels.  This bearing, is nicely and easily accessed from the outside of the sideplate as opposed to fighting it on the inside in a deep recessed small hole.  The pinion design is still exactly like the older Torium pinion and it does not touch or come into contact with the bearing at all.  When I fully assembled the reel and put the eccentric lever into cast mode, I cranked the handle and the spool began to spin.  This is how I know it does not have the free floating spool effect.  With the sealine, in cast mode, if you crank the handle, the spool will absolutely not move.  This function suppose to give the caster a real good freespool.  Now in the past, I did notice that there were times (not often) where the end of the spool shaft was scrubbing the inside area right under the cast control cap.  Now, by having the end of the spool shaft sitting in this bearing, it really helps to stabalize the shaft and keep things more alligned.  It is exacly like the same concept of having a bigger spacer ring on the penn senator gear sleeve or how a lot of other reels utilize a bearing on the gear sleeve to provide more stability to the gearsleeve under load.  

franky

Sorry for the second posting.  Sometimes if I write too much, the computer times out and I lose everthing.

Here we go....

For the spring loaded dog.  Like Bryan, I too have tried this and am very weary or hesitant in having it just sit by the eccentric spring post.  When I did it, I found the other end of the dog spring to pop loose and the dog became useless.  I think the dog is actually held inplace not by the gearbox, but by the inside of the sideplate when the sideplate is secured onto the frame.  

I had already gotten a screw and measured everthing last night, but I didn't have the appropriate drill bit to make the proper hole.  I now have the drill bit and will be installing the post into the baseplate this evening.  Luckily, the baseplate is plastic which will make things easier.  :)  When I tested the post layout, the spring loaded dog worked perfectly.  Now I just got to do the drill thing and secure the post.

Hopefully, Shimano claims that the new frame paint is much more corrosion resistant than the previous model.  Only time will tell.  The older model toriums have a real corrosion problem.  :-\   Hopefully this one is better.  :)

Wish me luck in my measurements for the dog spring post.  Like my shop teacher always preeched... measure twice cut or drill once.  ;)

franky

Thanks Bryan for helping me post some of the pictures of the dog spring post.  As you can see, the rounded part of the pawl spring is now secured around the post which will help stabilize the other end of the pawl spring from shaking loose.  Now when the sideplate is secured, it will hold the pawl in place and the spring will remain in place and allow the pawl to click normally.  Again, it appears that the innards of the sideplate is what is held against the pawl from lifting and becoming dismantled.  I am hoping that Shimano is not relying on the fins of the pawl that is secured to the ratchet gear to keep the pawl in place.

When time permits, I will be testing it with rigorous casting, reeling, and shaking in hopes it withstands the test of fisherman.

Aloha,  :)

drewsung

That looks good.  I bent the curly end of the spring and let it sit against the post.  Fished it for the last couple weeks and have had no issues. Caught 4 yellowtail and made a couple hundred casts.

Legal

Thank you for the effort, wondering if you took picks of the spool and frame and if you would be able to post them if you have?

Awesome post  :)

steelfish

LOL

My same thoughs, shimano is doing some great things to some reel, but on others they are cutting some corners on the former quality used and making a really good reel into a just good reel, example curado E vs curado G, calcutta TE vs calcutta D , etc, etc.

Many of those changes arw good or bad depending on the eye of the beholder but I liked the reel offerings of some previous models over the currents
The Baja Guy

ggadea

Hi friends, im writing from Uruguay, sorry for my bad english.

Do these reels have centrifugal brakes? Can you post some photos of the cast control mechanism?

Thanks!!

johndtuttle

Quote from: ggadea on August 10, 2015, 01:05:26 AM

Do these reels have centrifugal brakes? Can you post some photos of the cast control mechanism?

Thanks!!

Other than the right side cap of the pinion bearing there is no other type of braking feature.

ggadea

Quote from: johndtuttle on August 10, 2015, 05:06:48 PM
Quote from: ggadea on August 10, 2015, 01:05:26 AM

Thanks!!

Other than the right side cap of the pinion bearing there is no other type of braking feature.

So this reel it´s not recommended for surf casting?