Shimano Symetre 2500 Bail Spring Assembly

Started by Shumwayn, March 10, 2015, 12:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shumwayn

Hi All,

I joined this site yesterday specifically because I thought it would be an excellent idea to take apart and clean out my boyfriend's reel over the weekend (it was a sandy mess). It's an old work horse reel that I use more than he does anyway, so not worth taking to the repair shop.

However, I was cleaning out the bail assembly and everything sprung out and I haven't been able to get it back together so that the bail works correctly, despite having put it back together in what looks like a correct manner... obviously not. Right now the reel works, the bail is just not springing back in place.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on putting the bail spring assembly back together or know what the problem may be?

Cheers,

Nicki

foakes

Hi Nicki --

If the bail was working somewhat OK before you disassembled it -- there is just likely a reassembly issue that should be easy enough to sort out.

Assuming you got all of the sand out, and all of the parts are accounted for -- this is the schematic, I believe for your reel.

See how it is going together in respects to the bail spring assembly.  Compare yours with the schematic.

You might post a pic or two of how yours is looking now.  You can use Photobucket for your pic hosting -- and it is free and simple to navigate and store your pics on.

One or more of us will be able to help you get it going again.

Nice of you to work on it for your boyfriend.

Welcome to the site!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

nicki, we need a tutorial like this, but i don't have one of these reels to show you. hopefully one of the guys here will be able to.  and welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Hi Nikki, I hate those springs in the bail system as welll...let me see if I can help.  The simplest solution is buy your boyfriend another reel.  Just kidding.

Part 9427 should thread into spring 7780.  1177 should rest on top of 9427.  That fits between the screw posts and the rotor housing opposite the click pin 7466.  On the bottom of the rotor housing, where the spring is located, there should be a flat area where the spring rests under slight pressure.  That is held together by the housing 9408.

Part 15586 has a screen hole and pin hole for the click pin, and a hole where 11079 will fit then move the bail in position.  It's tough sometimes because you are working against the spring.  Once you get it on, hold it tight and screw in 7792.  And that should do it.  So do simple enough, but it never works out this way.  It takes me several tries and sometimes I need to take the entire assembly apart again because the spring slips or the lever bar slips.

Unfortunately I don't have this reel to show you what I nean.  Sorry.

Boos luck and let us know how it's working our.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

hi nikki
i may be able to help

just with the cover off,bail open and closed,notice how the spring sits

spring,7789 has a thick and thin end,goes on thin end 1st
it slides onto that funny shaped wire,9427, after the little silver washer(not shown)goes on,
if the little silver washer is missing the reel wont work
spring 7467 goes in the left hole and 7466 fits into spring.  grease the hole 1st so it does not fall out
part # 11079 lays in the groove,large right hand bend to the bottom,grease also,
ill take a break

can you see the silver washer in the last  photo.lay the spring into position,put 9427 into the bail arm, bring the two together under pressure,not easy,bail arm into position and thats it.good luck