Rainshadow ISWB946

Started by Newell Nut, March 11, 2015, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I finally created a custom rod for myself. It has been irritating a little when on the boat and showing potential customers all of my buddy's customs that I built. I have had my eye on a 946 for a while to fill a void in my quiver. It weighs 5.3 oz and rated 25-45 and was designed for big musky fishing. I want it for cobia and mangos when top feeding. The total build came in at 10 3/4 oz and with the Newell G 220 with Tiburon frame the total package is 1 lb 10 3/4 oz.
This is just a beasty rod I maxed out the 220 with a 5 stack drag, delrin under the gear and on top under the Belleville, abec 7 ceramic bearings and a 300 series length handle. I am sure the drag numbers will go quite high for this little tank but plan to fish it at 15 lb of drag and 30 momoi diamond line. This combo worked well on my Conflict 8000 and never broke my line.
The top inlay on the rod is a juvenile great white upper tooth and the bottom inlay is a New Zealand abalone and there you see my custom hook keeper which is coated 150 lb seven strand stainless leader material. The guides are PacBay LCDPCG TICH guides and no longer made but I bought a good stash of them while available. These are really strong saltwater guides without a lot of bulk. The tip top is a carbide ring with no ceramic to break out and sort of bullet proof for a tip top.
I am not a big fan of aluminum seats but Alps does make a nice one so I stuck my neck out here. I did find that on the small 18mm seat that the Tiburon foot is too thick so I used my belt sander to taper the front and rear of the foot and then painted the exposed Alum with gold Testers. Brushed a little Penn blue in the recesses of the seat and on the threads for insurance on corrosion.
If I do another light weight rod it will have a Fuji graphite seat.

Bryan Young

That is one classy rod Dwight.  Almost looks too good to fish...ALMOST. 

Now, if you only catch sharks with that rod, you know why...they want their tooth back.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

You are right Bryan, I am actually not wanting to take it fishing myself now that it is done but just have it on the boat for show. It will be for sale if someone wants it.

Bryan Young

You know, when I was wrapping a lot, every one of my rods were sold, and I probably have only 1 custom rod left, which my friend broke the tip of my irreplaceable ultralight rod...so I understand.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Terrific, beautiful job, Dwight --

Your attention to blank selection, along with your skillfull mastery of the Rod-Building craft -- is inspiring.

There is nothing to compare when a strong, lightweight blank is paired with one of Carl Newells smallest and lightest graphite/SS reels.  The combination is a pleasure to look at -- and must be even better to fish.

With you and Jon, and a few other rod makers on our board -- we have some great skills showcased.

At the Fred Hall show in Long Beach, that ended Sunday -- we sold a lot of Newell 220s & 229s.

Folks were coming in to specifically ask if we had any, after seeing how many Newells Randy had for sale.

We had to keep pulling them out of the back bins -- just to keep the front displays full every time we sold another Newell.  Sold around 35, which was about 2/3s of what Randy brought to the show.  Lots of 200 series.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Beautiful rod!!  I really like the simplicity of the build, yet very attentive to detail! How can you sell that bad boy!

How are you liking the blank? I'm looking at the ISWB945 for a 20# setup.

broschro

:o sweet looking for sure  8)

Newell Nut

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 11, 2015, 03:49:49 PM
Beautiful rod!!  I really like the simplicity of the build, yet very attentive to detail! How can you sell that bad boy!

The 945 is a beautiful stick with that awesome green color and really strong. I built my sons and put a 1 1/2 oz weight on it and made a cast. I had to stop before I spooled my Lew's reel. Very strong stick. The bass guys are using 50 and 80 lb braid on that set up for flipping. I have two of those blanks here and one is sold and the other was going to be mine and it already has the Red Winn Grips and trigger seat glued in place. Yours if you want it.  I can get more. After my wife gets home to take a pic I can show you what the 946 looks like at 15 lb of drag.

My buddy at Witchdoctor Tackle LLC in south Fl has lots of 945s made up and sells to the FLW guys. I think they are about $250 to 270 range. May depend on cork or winn grip. He has both. Look him up if you want a 945 and tell him I sent you and may cut you a little better deal. He has such a nice setup and skill that he can knock them out faster than I can.
My rods are built for battle. ;D  The drag started to slip just before the 20 lb dumbbell started to lift. Drag was set at 15 lb.

Alto Mare

Nice rod bud ...watch your toes, I need you to stay healthy ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Nice build Dwight. Love the action on that rod!
luck is the residue of design.

fIsHsTiiCkS

That's is a nice solid rod there Dwight! Those rainshadow blanks seem to hold up very well!

That's a great price for a custom rod from your friend! I just have really gotten addicted to the acid wrap and the feel it has on the rod. If he has any wrapped like that I might be in!

Newell Nut

Adam certainly knows how to acid wrap. All you have to do is ask. When I still had a good job and before I started building he build two Seeker Hercules rods acid wrapped and they are awesome sticks for heavy fish and the reel never wants to twist.

I do know he does not like the casting of them on the small micro guides and probably because of the closeness to the blank and friction. With normal size 12 to 10s to 8s that should not be an issue.Those micros have a really low profile.

He calls the 945 flipping stick the Hydrilla Gorilla.

steelfish

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 11, 2015, 04:55:08 PM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 11, 2015, 03:49:49 PM

The 945 is a beautiful stick with that awesome green color and really strong. I built my sons and put a 1 1/2 oz weight on it and made a cast. I had to stop before I spooled my Lew's reel. Very strong stick. The bass guys are using 50 and 80 lb braid on that set up for flipping. I have two of those blanks here and one is sold and the other was going to be mine and it already has the Red Winn Grips and trigger seat glued in place. Yours if you want it.  I can get more. After my wife gets home to take a pic I can show you what the 946 looks like at 15 lb of drag.

My buddy at Witchdoctor Tackle LLC in south Fl has lots of 945s made up and sells to the FLW guys. I think they are about $250 to 270 range. May depend on cork or winn grip. He has both. Look him up if you want a 945 and tell him I sent you and may cut you a little better deal. He has such a nice setup and skill that he can knock them out faster than I can.
My rods are built for battle. ;D  The drag started to slip just before the 20 lb dumbbell started to lift. Drag was set at 15 lb.

wow I was all set on get me a RCLB70XL but seen the action of this 946 Im now debating between this two blanks
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Funny, it doesn't seem to look like a fast action blank based on the bend.  Looks more like a medium-fast to me.  Could be many things, including camera angle, guide placement,...

Looks like a strong and mightly rod.