Rainshadow ISWB946

Started by Newell Nut, March 11, 2015, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Quote from: steelfish on March 12, 2015, 04:09:03 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on March 11, 2015, 04:55:08 PM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 11, 2015, 03:49:49 PM
Beautiful rod!!  I really like the simplicity of the build, yet very attentive to detail! How can you sell that bad boy!

How are you liking the blank? I'm looking at the ISWB945 for a 20# setup.

The 945 is a beautiful stick with that awesome green color and really strong. I built my sons and put a 1 1/2 oz weight on it and made a cast. I had to stop before I spooled my Lew's reel. Very strong stick. The bass guys are using 50 and 80 lb braid on that set up for flipping. I have two of those blanks here and one is sold and the other was going to be mine and it already has the Red Winn Grips and trigger seat glued in place. Yours if you want it.  I can get more. After my wife gets home to take a pic I can show you what the 946 looks like at 15 lb of drag.

My buddy at Witchdoctor Tackle LLC in south Fl has lots of 945s made up and sells to the FLW guys. I think they are about $250 to 270 range. May depend on cork or winn grip. He has both. Look him up if you want a 945 and tell him I sent you and may cut you a little better deal. He has such a nice setup and skill that he can knock them out faster than I can.
My rods are built for battle. ;D  The drag started to slip just before the 20 lb dumbbell started to lift. Drag was set at 15 lb.

wow I was all set on get me a RCLB70XL but seen the action of this 946 Im now debating between this two blanks
There is a big difference in the two blanks. The RCLB70XL will have a very soft tip compared to the 946. The 946 is designed for Heavy Musky lures and has a stiffer tip section until loaded up. Depends on what you want the rod to do. Soft tip or stiff tip.

steelfish

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 12, 2015, 10:35:22 PM
There is a big difference in the two blanks. The RCLB70XL will have a very soft tip compared to the 946. The 946 is designed for Heavy Musky lures and has a stiffer tip section until loaded up. Depends on what you want the rod to do. Soft tip or stiff tip.

gotcha !!
then I need two blanks now LOL

I actually have a gander mount. musky rod 2-6oz 20-50 lb  that I use for casting spoons and jigs to spanish mackerel (sierras) of 8-10# and I love it, really nice backbone and stiff tip until loaded like you said, pretty sure this 946 will be bit better (lot better).

then I will keep the RCLB70XL on my buying list cuz I want a custom rod for my lexa 300hsp to trow 1.5oz plastics and light irons and maybe pair it from time to time with my calcutta 400TE, the calcutta feels really nice on the musky rod, tho.

The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

Looks like a good plan to me.

Newell Nut

This story is about character and heart break. We have a new mate that also works the restaurant where the Pastime is docked. Brent has a little sail boat tied up the dock also and he has just completed a trip across country on his bicycle which took a year to complete. To celebrate his accomplishment and the new job on the boat he asked if I would build him a first class rod for fishing the intercostal water. I told him that I was booked for a couple months so I said that I could sell my new Rainshadow and Newell to him and he could cast jigs to cobia and flat line mangos as well and handle anything in the intercostal water. He was thrilled and I of course had sellers remorse but I could build me another one day.

This morning he gave me the final payment when I met Captain Al to get the Pastime set up for the day. Brent told me that he had the day off Easter and was fishing off the side of his sail boat at the dock and caught a bunch of small fish and then a nice grouper and he was so happy with the new rig. The Pastime had gone out for a cruise in the intercostal water and he sees them coming back in so he lays the rod down and goes to help dock the boat and put the ramp up. And then the tears start to roll down his cheek as he tells me the story. He went back to his sail boat and no rod. He asked some folks at a near by table if they saw anyone on his boat and they said they heard a clanging noise and saw a splash.

He had left the bait dangling in the water. What a horrible lesson to learn with a beautiful new custom rod and reel. I told him I was pretty bummed over the story but could not imagine how he must feel. The kid has some character to pay me off even though the rod is lost and gone for ever. What a beauty it was too.

To make it even worse, Captain Al does not pull punches with anybody and he starts his rant as well as the other mates laughing at him.

Tunacious

Sounds like a stand-up guy. He could have easily made up a story about the rig being stolen but instead told the truth even knowing he'd be "catching it" from the guys! Makes ya wanna make him another rig...

Newell Nut

I feel so bad for him and he is a straight up great kid and always smiling. Great character. I really did not appreciate the other guys kicking while he was down. Says something about there character too.
I may surprise him when I get time. I was going to build myself another one so may as well order two blanks.

Bryan Young

Oh that sucks.  I can only imagine how he is feeling.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

You are a good man, Dwight --

Character is its own reward -- however, it seems to be much less apparent nowadays -- as many folks seem to live in their own YOUniverse.

Sounds like a quality young man.

Does/did Newell ever make a rod clamp with a safety ring -- so one could attach a leash from the reel to an anchor point?

Or will another type of clamp adapt to a Newell?

These Penn ringed clamps seem to line up exactly with the Newell clamp.

If I can donate one -- just let me know, and it is on its way...

And maybe a few of us on the Board would split the cost of a new blank and components -- and you could add your expertise and artistry.

Let us know...

Thanks --

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

Fred

Penn makes Rod Clamps with a Hook Holder Ring on the side. They do match Newell.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Thanks Fred, the problem was not having a rod holder on his little boat. If he had he would at least have part of the rod and a reel. All of this happened because he rushed to do a good deed and help his buddies docking the Pastime. He just quickly laid it down and did not think of the what ifs and the what if happened.

I have ordered two more blanks so when I have time I will get one made up for him and surprise him later and now I need another 220 or 229 to go on it.

broschro

No say its not so! that was a sweet set up it would cast a country mile  >:(

Reel 224

That is sickening to hear, anyone can make a mistake and for someone else to criticize him for what happened is just plain stooped, I really can't stand bullies or jack azzes like that. This me generation is a pain. I hope things workout for that young man. Lucky he has someone like you to help him out. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."