Delrin washers...?

Started by Aiala, March 13, 2015, 04:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Hello, Dawn!   :)

I am interested in acquiring some Delrin washers for my rebuilds, and mention has been made that they are now available from smoothdrag.com, but I can't seem to find a list of various sizes on your website. Am I being denser than usual?   ???

Thanks!

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

Give Dawn a call, she will take care of you.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dawn

They aren't on the list.  I used to include them with the Smoothie washer kits, before Carbontex
This is what I have:

Penn 500, 140, 113H, 114H
Daiwa 27H, 30H/50H/400H, 600H/900H.
Abu C3 C4 and related models.

Dawn
Dawn

Keta

Thanks again Dawn, this will save me from making the cutter cut "standard" ones.  How thick are yours?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Quote from: Keta on March 14, 2015, 03:14:53 PM
Thanks again Dawn, this will save me from making the cutter cut "standard" ones.  How thick are yours?

Good question Lee. I'm not really fond of cutting these myself. Dawn, this will make life alot easier for me.??
luck is the residue of design.

Dawn

The Penn ones are .030.
The Daiwa are .020
Abu .020
Dawn

Keta

Thanks Dawn, are you considering cutting Penn washer in .020"?

Mark Twain

speedwagon2

Are these Deltin washers used under the main gear, or somewhere else in the drag stack?
   Speedwagon2

Keta

Quote from: speedwagon2 on March 18, 2015, 10:09:04 PM
Are these Deltin washers used under the main gear, or somewhere else in the drag stack?
   Speedwagon2

Under the gear, on top of the stack and I like to put one between the spacer and the star.

Mark Twain

Dawn

Dawn

Dawn

Dawn

LTM

Quote from: Keta on March 18, 2015, 10:31:42 PM
Quote from: speedwagon2 on March 18, 2015, 10:09:04 PM
   Speedwagon2

Under the gear, on top of the stack and I like to put one between the spacer and the star.
Lee,
What thickness of Delrin are you using for under the gear, top of the stack and between the spacer and star?

Leo

Keta

.020" and .030" depending on the space available.  Adam's inserts and an open gear will allow 3 .030" washers.  The current 349H I'm building does not have enough room to use a .030" under the gear.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

.030" are of the same exact thickness as stock penn washers  for under the gear. Some like to use .020" to get a little more room with the star, or if you're adding another on top.
No matter which configuration you have on your drag stack, as long as the last eared washer is sitting flush with the lip of the main gear, you would never have problems with clearance, using the .030".
If that eared washer is sitting just a little above the lip or below, you will still be good.

I do use the .020" myself, but I feel more comfortable using the .030" on larger reels, they should both do good though.
I personally have not noticed any additional smoothness with the star by using an Acetal right under it, I use one Acetal under the gear and one as the last washer right under the spring washer. It doesn't matter is that top Acetal washer is under the spacer or above, it would work the same.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Good responses Lee and Sal. Cleared up a lot of questions I've had.
luck is the residue of design.