Daiwa Sealine 30H

Started by Porthos, March 19, 2015, 03:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jigmaster501

I will have to give that a shot with the files.

I guess we need Tom to make gear sleeves for these now..lol

It would be nice if the gear sleeves were made to fit penn handles....

Rothmar, I don't know about the 27H. my friend has a 27H and a 30H and believes they are the same gear sleeve.

Thanks

Eugene

Rothmar2

Cheers Eugene, I think I will order A 30H sleeve and see how it goes in the 27. If not quite right, will just find a 30H and put it in that.

Porthos

Quote from: Rothmar2 on February 16, 2018, 05:47:36 AM
Cheers Eugene, I think I will order A 30H sleeve and see how it goes in the 27. If not quite right, will just find a 30H and put it in that.

Since you have the 27H, what are the measurements for the flats and the diameter of the 27H's gear sleeve?

Rothmar2

Hi Porthos

I really should check what I have stashed in boxes more often! I actually have a 30H. Don't know why I had it in my head it was a 27H. Anyway, I'm pretty sure there has never been an aftermarket stainless sleeve made for these mini-Sealines. But would be chuffed to hear otherwise. The sleeve has a step for the handle nut which screws down around outside of the sleeve. The step is 7mm across the flats, 9mm diameter and 6.5mm high.
The main part of the sleeve which the gears and drag star seat/screw over is 10mm across the flats and 12mm diameter. Total length of the sleeve appears to be 41mm. I say appears, as I just haven't got the time to disassemble the bridge completely at the moment. So I have only measured what I can with the bridge in place in the right side plate. The bridge shaft measured from the top of the sleeve is 5.5mm.
I'm guessing the Cortez Conversions 300H sleeves will not suit these smaller reels. I will edit this post when I get some time to remove the bridge and completely measure the sleeve.

Porthos

Quote from: Rothmar2 on February 16, 2018, 10:42:00 PM
Hi Porthos

I really should check what I have stashed in boxes more often! I actually have a 30H. Don't know why I had it in my head it was a 27H. Anyway, I'm pretty sure there has never been an aftermarket stainless sleeve made for these mini-Sealines. But would be chuffed to hear otherwise. The sleeve has a step for the handle nut which screws down around outside of the sleeve. The step is 7mm across the flats, 9mm diameter and 6.5mm high.
The main part of the sleeve which the gears and drag star seat/screw over is 10mm across the flats and 12mm diameter. Total length of the sleeve appears to be 41mm. I say appears, as I just haven't got the time to disassemble the bridge completely at the moment. So I have only measured what I can with the bridge in place in the right side plate. The bridge shaft measured from the top of the sleeve is 5.5mm.
I'm guessing the Cortez Conversions 300H sleeves will not suit these smaller reels. I will edit this post when I get some time to remove the bridge and completely measure the sleeve.

From what I've observed so far, 40lb test is the most reasonable max for this reel given its capacity for 350+ yds of 50 or 65 lb braid plus a short 40lb mono top shot. IMHO, for the 11-12 lbs drag needed from top of spool to hit the 1/3 rule for the whole setup, the factory brass gear sleeve will hold up, so a stainless steel upgrade may be overkill.

Kenstix

Quote from: jigmaster501 on February 15, 2018, 11:41:23 AM
I will have to give that a shot with the files.

I guess we need Tom to make gear sleeves for these now..lol

It would be nice if the gear sleeves were made to fit penn handles....

Rothmar, I don't know about the 27H. my friend has a 27H and a 30H and believes they are the same gear sleeve.

Thanks

Eugene

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Believe an Array of Type "A" Penn Bridge Handles fit the 50H like the 112H ~ without too much trouble . So , I would Like to move the 50 Handle to the 30 if Possible ? and easily enough  , find a Handle for the 50H . What'cha All think ? Any insight would Help

Thanks , Kenstix

alantani

i think they are different.  you'll have to pull them off and see.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jigmaster501

No go with the 50h. way bigger hole.

Porthos

Nine posts back about the handle holes:

30H ~ 7mm x 9mm

50H ~ 9mm x 11mm

A modified Penn Type A power handle, IMHO, is the path of least resistance for the 30H, 30SH, and SMF 170.

It is the Type B (e.g., a 24-113H) handle that fits the 50H, 300H, 350H, 400H, and 450H, BUT...only if you shim the flats. My 300H and 400H have this handle arm shimmed with thin strips of folded sheet brass:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handle-Blank-Fits-PENN-113H-4-0-Intl-20-20T-30-30T-50-50T-50TW-Others/312076928014?hash=item48a93c040e:g:nuoAAOSwX~dWs8of

The better handle solution for the 50H, 300H, 350H, 400H, and 450H is Alan's swap shown in his 50H tutorial...drill out the old barrel handle.

Kenstix

Thanks Porthos + Alan , do You Guys have advice on this Weird nut setup and how it converts to a Normal Handle nut ?

Do I have to Put the LAme Brass nut back on for the New Type A Handle config with that Plastic baitcast cover Krap ?

Porthos

I did. MacGyver style...

• Installed the handle with the original brass nut.
  • Place cap on and marked hole.
  • Removed cap and drilled hole slightly smaller than screw.
  • Had I had a set of tapping tools, I would have used them, but I don't...so I brute forced it. Used a the next sized up bit and made the top of the hole slightly bigger (like doing a countersink). It went just deep enough for the screw to start biting into the softer aluminium of the handle.
  • Applied pressure to the flathead screwdriver and FORCED the screw into the hole (basically using the screw as the tapping tool)
  • It was working okay until I decided it went deep enough and started to counter turned the screw out--the screwhead snapped off.
  • Fortunately there was enough of the screw shaft protruding to grab on to with needle-nosed pliers and unscrewed it out.
  • Called up Daiwa and ordered a replacement screw
  • Once the screw arrived, filled nut hole with Yamaha grease, placed cap on nut, and tighten new screw in

Here is the end result:

Would I recommend my approach to anyone? NO, but it did the trick. YMMV

Kenstix

Thanks Much Porthos , I'll probly replace he Nut and the Screw with Stainless . Thanks for the Pic - Kenstix

Porthos

Make sure all the gaps beneath the plastic gear sleeve washer are filled with grease before seating the washer and installing the stainless nut.

Kenstix

Thanks again Porthos , I always use Grease as an Xtra Gasket / Filler like that , where it makes sense  - for Lack of a Better analogy . I use a Quality Marine grease ( which is lucas now ) to about 1/3 Super Lube with PTFE <-- which I've Done forever and They are super compatible over time , to My experience + provide great durable Lube and Moisture performance . the Only thing different I do in the Hybrid mix , is to Use Lucas on everything now rather than the Yamaha or Sta-Lube  ( I like it Better ) .  Which Handle part # is that one or i should say ~ I know the Black Alum. Bar but What is the Knob ? I believe the Black Bar on Yours is 3" Span so I would probably Cut it as well + Re-work ( and Touch up ) to approx. 2.5" ~ 2+ 5/8" spread on the 30 size . I was lookin' at this stainless one to for poss. Cut + re-Polish  

Porthos

The knob is this one:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/MOLDED-T-BAR-KNOB-FOR-PENN-DAIWA-SHIMANO-ACCURATE-AVET-NEWLL-OKUMA-REEL-HANDLES/302653627118?hash=item46778fdaee:g:QcEAAOSw44BYZq5H

It was much cheaper previously, but the seller raised his prices recently. With what he charging now, it's better to instead order one of Alan's delrin handles, IMHO.

As for the arm length, the 3" is preferable for me since I'm fishing the 30H/170H up to 40lbs test and like the leverage.