Jigging World Tile/Tuna Rod

Started by coastal_dan, March 20, 2015, 01:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

I was looking for a universal offshore rod on the cheap and they tend to get hard to find!  I had my heart set on a Tiger Lite, but after lots of research I passed on these (sorry Redfish12 :-\).  I wanted something 6'-6" or longer since I'd be using this on a head boat majority of the time.  Reels in use will be a Tanked Jigmaster, Accurate Fury and hopefully a 6/0 in the future.

So I found this rod on Jigging World, which as a vendor here and someone I follow on facebook, I wanted to give it a shot...

http://www.jiggingworld.com/jigging-world-ois-661-60c-tile-fish-tuna-rod/

We'll see if she is up to the task  ;D  At 134.99 shipped it seemed like a decent deal.

I haven't seen the rod yet, but I can say they have FANTASTIC shipping time service.  I ordered the rod Wednesday afternoon; my wife just called me 8:15 am Friday and said the rod was delivered!  Less than 48 hours is insane!

Once I get home I'll take close up pictures and fill you guys in.

Can you tell I'm excited?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Reel 224

I just built a rod for myself that is the same type, originally it was a two piece. It's not finished yet but here are a few pictures.

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

coastal_dan

Is that a cork foregrip?  Pretty neat!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Reel 224

Quote from: coastal_dan on March 20, 2015, 06:12:42 PM
Is that a cork foregrip?  Pretty neat!

No Dan It's an EVA fore grip. Much better for a utility rod. I like cork for my fancier sticks especially the inlays. I still have to Epoxy the guides and butt wrap, and have my wife do the marbling....this will be the first rod she is doing anything on, but what can go wrong :D :o
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

coastal_dan

Ah, I see it now, I was looking at it wrong.  Neat!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Reel 224

Quote from: coastal_dan on March 20, 2015, 07:41:59 PM
Ah, I see it now, I was looking at it wrong.  Neat!

Maybe the handle, which is wood. The original rod had a cork fore grip but it was in bad shape and had to be removed and I decided on EVA for a different look and use. Nice thing about using an old rod that otherwise would have been chucked in the garbage, you can't really screw it up.

redfish12

No worries Dan! Looks like a better fit anyway. I had an opportunity to fish one of the black demon rods on Tog trip in January and I was impressed! Parabolic / soft tip but tons of backbone which was exactly what we needed that day because we were fishing 150 ft and it helped us not pull the crabs out of their mouths!

Reel 224

Exactly what this rod is intended for.

coastal_dan

Well the rood looks and feels great, just had a bent guide.  Jigging World has been great in responses to emails and they are sending out another rod with a prepaid shipping label to send back the other one.  A+ transaction so far for the situation.  Pics to come I promise  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

Alright...lots of photos...sorry, I like lots of pictures when buying something so hopefully this helps someone else.  Don't judge me about the clutter in my garage...time for a spring cleaning  ::)

With 14 oz of weight on

With 24 oz of weight on

With a jug of water on (Estimated 5 1/2 lbs or so)

Pretty excited about using it seems like a nice stick for the money.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Reel 224

Very nice looking rod Dan, good luck with it. Hope it catches lots of fish for you  --------------<*}}}><   

Dominick

Rod looks good for the price. Good fishing.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 20, 2015, 01:27:15 PM
I just built a rod for myself that is the same type, originally it was a two piece. It's not finished yet but here are a few pictures.

i love a refurb that keeps an old one alive. what kind of stick is that? looks like old Lami.

Reel 224

Quote from: thorhammer on April 02, 2015, 04:17:45 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on March 20, 2015, 01:27:15 PM

i love a refurb that keeps an old one alive. what kind of stick is that? looks like old Lami.

You guessed it. Not sure what class rod it was or is but it should be good for Tog and Fluke, maybe even Stripe Bass, it's to short for surf casting but would work for live lining eel or bunker. For pier or inlet it's a good stick for short casting for fluke and tog. My wife did some marble work on it,it was her first time so it's pretty good. She did the area between the butt wrap and stripper guide. I took this picture.

thorhammer

nicely done! i have a couple of those e glass rods and love the action for certain applications.