Virg's Landing (Moro Bay) California ***UPDATED***

Started by Big Tim, March 22, 2015, 06:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Count me in, if there is room...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Big Tim

Bryan Young

Looks like May 9 is the next 2 day.  let me check with Alan's schedule to see if he can make it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

That might be cutting it close for me but with the crew that is going I might just skip my spring chores .....or make Alan and Bryan help :D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

May is typically good weather and fishing on the central coast...October is even better..Maybe we can get some folkes to go again later in the season.

Tim

Bryan Young

Whew, I'm glad someone said something for later...My time is pretty packed.  I'll talk to Alan and see when would be a good time.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Big Tim

Back in the day we would board the Admiral at 10pm Friday night and return Sunday 4-6 pm...At 90' she was a joy to ride & we were even aloud a BBQ on board, with 2 limits of 15 + 5 Ling + Salmon or whatever she was tagged for, even Ablacore & Bonita...Now it's Saturday morning to Sunday and double the price. I still go all the time because I love it, just not the same. If we could put together a group to go semi regularly I would be very happy

Big Tim

Dominick

I looked at Virg's website it looks like the boat leaves at 9:00 on Saturday and returns by 4:00 p.m. on Sunday.  I am not familiar with this type of fishing.  How does it work?  Leaving at 9:00 a.m. means that the boat is traveling in the daytime.  When does it stop to fish.  I am considering a trip like this but I sure need more information.  May 9th is ok for me so is an October date.  My Mexico trip is last week in May and October.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Big Tim

The 2 day trip is more of a day and a half, but you are allowed 2 limits. Leaving at 9:00am on Saturday they usually travel north to San Simeon where they will fish in the afternoon. This is the area that get the most fishing pressure as it's easily reached on the 3/4 type trips. Mostly smaller rock fish, lingcod and sheepshead at times, then they pull inside and anchor up for the night. Usually at O dark 30 they head towards just south of the Big Sur preserve and fish the Piedras Blancas area and above, reaching this area at sunrise is best as you usually don't have that much wind early and if the bite is hot you can load up on nice quality fishes. The price does not include anything but the boat ride unless they changed. I prefer the 6:00am - 4:00pm Sunday on the Princess @ $89.00 and Brad will go all the way up if weather permits & if not he will rock hop all day until he finds the big Lings. The princess usually gets a full load of 44 on this trip but maybe if we can get enough people to commit we could pay more and take less people.

Moro Bay Landing ? since Alan knows Glenn, maybe he can put together a longer than 3/4 day trip or an over night trip  Sat. 10:00pm - Sun 4:00pm. ?

My two cents

Big Tim

theswimmer

1 day, 2 day, 3/4 day ? I don't care.
I'm in.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Might be nice to do a 1-1/2 or 2 day deal.

That way, some of us that cannot go on the SOA trips this year -- could still get a chance to do a little socializing with others on the site.

For me, the fish would be icing -- but the main thing would be getting together.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Big Tim on March 23, 2015, 12:37:10 AM
Lee, you won't even need gear...We got all that covered too...We will know what the catch looks like after April 1..My guess the Lings will be as thick as ever, nice quality rock fish and if we get lucky in the 180-240' range some big reds .. Alright now I got myself all geeked up to go fishing  ;D
Wow, if we are fishing that deep, I need to switch my gear up...I normally fish the shallows (less than 100') so now I may need a 4 oz jig instead of a 1 oz jig. :D

Keta

I have plans to fish for every halibut opening in May.... >:(
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Big Tim on March 23, 2015, 01:53:11 PM
   The 2 day trip is more of a day and a half, but you are allowed 2 limits. Leaving at 9:00am on Saturday they usually travel north to San Simeon where they will fish in the afternoon. This is the area that get the most fishing pressure as it's easily reached on the 3/4 type trips. Mostly smaller rock fish, lingcod and sheepshead at times, then they pull inside and anchor up for the night. Usually at O dark 30 they head towards just south of the Big Sur preserve and fish the Piedras Blancas area and above, reaching this area at sunrise is best as you usually don't have that much wind early and if the bite is hot you can load up on nice quality fishes. The price does not include anything but the boat ride unless they changed. I prefer the 6:00am - 4:00pm Sunday on the Princess @ $89.00 and Brad will go all the way up if weather permits & if not he will rock hop all day until he finds the big Lings. The princess usually gets a full load of 44 on this trip but maybe if we can get enough people to commit we could pay more and take less people.

Moro Bay Landing ? since Alan knows Glenn, maybe he can put together a longer than 3/4 day trip or an over night trip  Sat. 10:00pm - Sun 4:00pm. ?

My two cents

Big Tim

Tim, thanks for this information.  It helps to understand what happens on one of those trips.  I am considering going on one of these trips.  What does one do about food.  Do they serve food that you may purchase?  Do you pack a couple of lunches?  Do they have a stove you may use or do you just take a bite out the catch?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Big Tim

Dom: Hot galley on these trips. Burgers, burritos, ect. No ice chests but I always bring snack, sandwich an such. I also bring a bit of extra water just in case. Plenty of beer available. If you're like Golum and like your fishes wiggling then by all means take a bite.

Tim