Accurate 665XNC

Started by Roger, November 29, 2010, 05:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

Ok, here we go, this reel has been up for sale for the last week and I'm interested but I don't know jack squat about Accurates except for what I've read about about them. I know they need meticulous service, which isn't a problem. I've heard about the ARB's both pro and con. I know Accurates aren't brought up here very often and I'd like a little input  on here about it. It's a Christmas present so I'd appreciate some input.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

akfish

Accurates are great reels, absolutely great, but they do require frequent and careful service. The ARB anti-reverse feels great but, yes, it can fail. This is why Accurate uses two ARB bearings. The likelihood of a failure is small if (1) you clean and apply Corrosion-X and (2) you don't fish the reel harder than you should. I think the 665 series makes a great 50# reel and while there's plenty of drag to fish 80# it's about there that you begin to worry about the ant-reverse. I love my two speed 665. It's so much smoother than the Avet HX and there is no handle bind whatsoever.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

my accurates boss 2-speeds have all lost their mojo and i'm probably selling them within the year.  all this time to get them dialed in feels like it was wasted.  this must be what a bad divorce feels like.  if you end up buying the reel, i'm sure you will fare better better than i did. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

Kind a what I expected. Comments from both sides of the fence. It's gonna be a Christmas present, so I guess it's a toss up between the Accurate or another Penn Torque.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

akfish

Alan: What do you mean, "...lost their mojo"? That they are no longer lucky? Or that they have mechanical problems?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

they are no longer lucky....... :'(
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fullaphish

LOL Alan we have a saying here in Vegas. "It's bad luck to be superstitious".   ;D

Snagged2

Quote from: alantani on November 30, 2010, 08:54:12 PM
they are no longer lucky....... :'(

That's why,, when I get to go fishing,, I like to take...

something old

something new

something stolen!!

something has to work!!

coastalobsession

Quote from: alantani on November 30, 2010, 09:14:03 AM
my accurates boss 2-speeds have all lost their mojo and i'm probably selling them within the year.  all this time to get them dialed in feels like it was wasted.  this must be what a bad divorce feels like.  if you end up buying the reel, i'm sure you will fare better better than i did. 

When they do come up for sale let me know, Im interested.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning