how-to: making your own springs

Started by Three se7ens, March 23, 2015, 03:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

Great stuff thanks. I remember` making replacement TLD springs a long time ago.

I used mono SS trace wire and it works very well.

garyboland

do you make them for a price? 1 need two for my newell C540-4.6. part # 3-315. Thanks

reel man

Thank you very much for showing this technique.  The spring material I need is .021, and I have the taps and handle.

oc1

0.021 inch is about 100 pound test leader wire.
-steve

Donnyboat

three se7ens thanks very clearly explained, many of us will make use of this post, cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

Three se7ens

Quote from: garyboland on March 31, 2017, 12:21:21 AM
do you make them for a price? 1 need two for my newell C540-4.6. part # 3-315. Thanks

Sorry, I only make what I need for my Spinfisher a/r kits.

oldmanjoe

Great write up , i need to make a couple springs .   The question i have is there any one material better than the other  , leader wire ,music wire ,spring steel ,something salt water friendly.      joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Three se7ens

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 23, 2017, 12:54:07 AM
  Great write up , i need to make a couple springs .   The question i have is there any one material better than the other  , leader wire ,music wire ,spring steel ,something salt water friendly.      joe

Music wire and spring steel are the same thing.  Im not so sure about leader wire, but I suspect it doesnt have the same tight quality control over hardness and "springy-ness" as real spring wire. 

I use the stainless spring wire found here.

Id be happy to send you some of what I have, the roll would last me a few lifetimes at the rate I use it. 

oc1

Piano wire and spring steel will rust.
-steve

biggiesmalls

Awesome write-up. Thanks for the resource

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Three se7ens on May 23, 2017, 03:43:00 AM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 23, 2017, 12:54:07 AM

Music wire and spring steel are the same thing.  Im not so sure about leader wire, but I suspect it doesnt have the same tight quality control over hardness and "springy-ness" as real spring wire. 

I use the stainless spring wire found here.

Id be happy to send you some of what I have, the roll would last me a few lifetimes at the rate I use it. 

Thank you for the offer, I may take you up on that ..     I am still testing what i have now ..    thanks again    joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Steve-O

Excellent Triple 7!

I need to make a very small sping and will scale down the needed tools and give it a go.

Already have a lifetime supply of 4 different diameters of SS Spring  wire that I use in another hobby.

mackereljoe

While servicing a CS 501 last night, the spring vanished on me.  Not having any wire, just wondering if I can use a pen spring and just re-wrap it to make it smaller and if it will work enough to be trusted temporarily.

bhale1

Not really sure of the size you need, but if it's smaller than pen spring you may want to tear apart a Bic lighter ???
Swear I read about that somewhere before on here...or maybe I was just dreaming ;D
Brett

mackereljoe

Bic lighter! even better I have some of those.  Thank you very much, I feel much better now.