322 Tiburon Installation

Started by Newell Nut, March 24, 2015, 12:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

This project started out as a good deed for a member. I had converted a P332 to a 322 some time ago and that about cracked Gregg Chow and I. It took 6 spools to get one to work as well as a couple of frames. This reel had the original 4 stack drag system that I converted to a 6 stack with Bryans kit and it became the smoothest of all of my Newells.

A member has been searching high and low for a metal 322 spool with no luck. I spotted a New Looking 322 on ebay and told him to just buy it and he would have the spool. He hesitated and then I got an idea for a win win. I bought the 322 and decided that I would convert my P332 back to its original frame and the silver Tib spool would be available for our member in need. He sends a payment and I ship the spool.
Today the 322 arrived was in near perfect condition and had a new P series handle which was a plus and the internals were very clean as the outside and in the first photo you will see the internals.

Notice in the photo that the left side plate has smooth head screws. For those that don't know this is what you look for to see if the reel has the long cross bolts. Normally I would run from this because they can be very rusty and break. I was planning to use the Tiburon frame that I already had so no worry. Luckily though they were like new like the rest of the reel.

This is the Tiburon frame in my 332 that will be removed and installed on the 322.

This is something that I have not mentioned before. Long ago I realized that with Bryan's 5 stack kit that there was room for a full size washer on top of the stack. Later I was installing a set and noticed something that I think is very important. The grooves cut in the gear for the eared washer are not cut deep enough so the first CF and thin washer don't get full force in my opinion. So, I decided to put the thin CF in place and start with a full size original keyed washer and will follow up with another photo.

Now everything is ready for assembly. You will see the .020" delrin on the sleeve then the gear will go in and stack as I stated before but it will be topped with a thin keyed washer, another .020 delrin and Belleville from Bryan's kit. It all fit perfectly in the stack and in the reel. You can see in the photo that I am using a P star so that I can use some wavy springs that I got from McMaster between it and the 3-18 washer for a little more cushion as I am ramping up the drag. I also had a new red plastic lock washer for the handle nut to keep it secure. Since the P handle is a little thinner than the plastic I will use a 3-16 on both sides which keeps the nut from hitting the screw that holds the sleeve in place.

Now we have topic that many have battled and this is the easy way. When installing the SS rings to the frame with the short fillister head screws it is a good practice to also install the body screws. On almost every frame job I have found at least one body screw hole in the SS ring differing from the Tib frame. Most discover this after trying to put the side plate on and ruin a couple screws and have a blood pressure spike. Do the test and if they do not fit then remove the ring and open up the two body screw holes a couple thousandths with a mini round file. Reinstall and no worries. Make sure you lube the mating surfaces and all screw threads. You may want to get it apart some day.

The drive system is ready to be installed.

Project complete:

I forgot to mention that I also put in a set of Boca Ceramics and the spool is very fast and smooth. The drag is also smooth as silk and need to get some line on it and back on the Calstar 700L ready for some Cobia fishing.

BonitaBch

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 24, 2015, 12:33:19 AM
This project started out as a good deed for a member.
Nice job Newell Nut, good tip about the body / frame screws ... said member shall remain anonymous ;D

Bonita Beach, FL

Newell Nut

Enjoy the spool. ;)

I was in a bit a rush with the explanation and there is a step missing. Since the reel had the long cross bolts the 4 short ones actually screwed into tapped holes on one of the SS rings. These holes have to be drilled out and I used a 9/64 bit to do this and it is done so that you run regular screws into the frame.

Gregg does not like to sell frames to folks that have these long screws because it is a small problem but if you have some tools and a little mechanical skill then you are okay.

bluefish69

Very nice job. I've done that on a "S" series Newell a while ago. Some day I will look for it. It's in a box with its cousins.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Your not the Newell Nut for nothing. ;)
Good Job on that Reel Dwight. ;D
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Great work Dwight! I need to finally get my hands on a nice Newell. I have been looking at the 322/ converted 332.

Islandgypsy

Neat build, thanks for that. You are the Newell man, for sure!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

John

If you get back next December you can use it on the Pastime if you like or anything else in my collection so pack like. I have a couple special Penns too. ;)

Tightlines667

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 24, 2015, 10:19:45 PM
John

If you get back next December you can use it on the Pastime if you like or anything else in my collection so pack like. I have a couple special Penns too. ;)

I will look forward to it!

Provided I can talk my dad into another day on one of them damn charter boats.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tunacious

Lookin' good NN! The blue frames are my favorites.  :o

I use that same technique for properly lining up the inner and outer rings...even with earlier Newell models. Sometimes the inner/outer rings just don't align exactly unless you do this technique...but this is especially true when aligning the inner ring with the Tib frame since it's made so precisely.

speedwagon2

Newell Nut,
  I have not had any alignment issues on the 4 Tiburon framed Newell's  I have put together. Maybe because I have never used the short screws that hold the inner ring to the frame.  I just use the long screws that pass thru both the inner and outer rings and into the Tiburon frame.  I have a 322, 338 to 332, 533 to narrow width, and a 540 to 550 all with Tiburon frames.   The 322 and 332 have Newell aluminum spools.  The other two have Tiburon spools.  All have Bryan's upgraded brakes.  Am I dumb, or lucky?
  Speedwagon2 ???

Newell Nut

If you use the short fillister heads to fasten the inner SS ring to the frame you will more than likely find the problem that I discussed. Skipping those screws helps dodge the problem. This is mainly in the  200 and 300 series. In the 400 and 500 you will have more body screws and no little fillister heads to lock the inner ring in a fixed position.

speedwagon2

Newell Nut,
  Do you think there is any difference in  frame strength if the short screws are left out?
  Speedwagon2

Tunacious

SW: I won't speak for NN but I don't believe he's skipping the installation of the inner ring screws...but I've been wrong before. :)

I've changed out Tib frames in five of my original P200/P300 models and a NL 533. The P's as well as the NL series use the short screws (not the thru screws) for the inside rings. As in NN's picture above, you see all of the short screws attached to the inner ring and the Tib frame. The 2 longer screws in the picture are used only to align the holes. By screwing in the long screws to the inner frame first(use just a few turns), you can ensure that the 4 small screws will align properly. You then use the Tib screws for the outside ring.

By doing the above procedure, your holes will always align the first time...whether you're putting together a Newell multi-piece frame or a Tib frame. Personally, I've never had any issues using the above process.