Tiagra 50 WLRS

Started by kamuwela, November 30, 2010, 06:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamuwela

it should get pretty close to 50 lbs, well beyond the 1/3 breaking point lol

jlw1972

Thanks Kamuwela. That's a lot of drag for a small reel. Can the reel handle it. It will mainly be use to pull big Aj's away from rigs and wrecks.

kamuwela

the bearing's will go bad from the extreme load. i dont see anything that would blow up lol. my 50 is for large yft and marlin avg 200 lbs

erikpowell

Hey all, I just got a Tiagra 50WLRS in for service that has a unique issue I haven't seen before.
I haven't even opened it yet, and I suspect a bad pinion bearing.. but maybe something else too....

After preseting the drag knob to a desirable strike setting...freespool is poor now....start reeling....the handle has the telltale sign of a bad pinion bearing... harder to crank..
THEN the preprogram dial starts "ticking" backwards... if I reel long enough, (20-30 turns) the dial reverses on its own all the way back to minimum setting... still poor freespool.... but handle now drops and spins freely.... ???

Would it be ONLY a properly seized and corroded bearing doing this, or is it a combination of factors?

I've seen some pretty hammered tiagras, but not one that is too tired to fight like this one

Not that I'm feeling lazy.....it's just that there's another 8 reels in front of that one....  ::)   ... gonna be a long nite...

Thanks in advance !

Erik

alantani

i think the reel is haunted by the spirits of all the fish that it has killed.  get one of the local priests to do a ceremony to release their tormented souls.  and do a full tear down of the reel while you're at it.  it is completely corroded inside.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

erikpowell

LMAO Alan!!  Hilarious ! you made my morning... ;D ;D ;D
You may be right!
I'll post a follow up when I crack it open.....
i'm still laughing.....   ;D

kamuwela

I saw this only once I changed just the bearing and it still did it then changed the shaft and all the spooks were gone.

erikpowell

Thanks Alan & Kamu.. here's the update:
the inside didn't look bad at all...pretty clean, but as I dug deeper
the bearing was frozen solid, also the 505 &506 preprogram key & screw were also bound up in dried grease,and there was gobs of salt between the lever shaft body and right side plate....the whole lot was just turning together...

In the end a thorough strip & clean, and a new pinion bearing exorcised all the ghosts! 

we're good to go... Vinaka !

erikpowell

Bula all,
cracked open another tiara 50w today and found an odd issue:

here's all 4 bearings,

LT= pinion bearing, Bottom= Lt. side plate, Top=LT.spool bearing(drag side), RT= Rt. spool bearing
4 very different stages of well being... 1 one went straight in the bin, the other 3 cleaned up nicely with the exception of the crusty spool bearing which after cleaning still had a distinct BUMP in it, so trashed that one too.. SCORE 2 for the carb cleaner!

The left spool bearing and shaft were stuck for a day in the spool, after soaking i was able to coax them out as a unit.
It took some extra beating to get the bearing off the shaft, and here is why....

see all the score marks on the shaft? they're from under the bellevilles.... and the bearing will not slide over them, even after multiple file strokes...if you look closely, you can see right where the bearing sits, just left of the score marks..
i guess i could slide the shaft in the other way, but my question is are all these scores signs of another problem  ??? .. and can i just leave them be? seems so, but would like other input.
Vinaka ya'll
Erik

Bryan Young

I usually wet file those flat.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

erikpowell

thanks Bryan, i'll try leaning a little harder on that file..  ;)   
any idea what causes that... is it any concern?
mahalo

erikpowell

Got it Bry.... set.

BTW... any good trick to remove those most stubborn of stuck on outer plastic side plates??

photo by Kamu. :-)

can't get it to separate, once i was able to pry one off bit by bit, but it mangled the plastic in places and don't want to repeat that on this reel.
i injected half a can of WD underneath to saturate it last night, but it still won't budge.... nada...

i could access an ultrasonic but there's so much pitting on the main plate already, i'm afraid to toss it in there. learned that lesson before too  :-[

would a freeze/boil scheme work?   any suggestions would be awesome.

meanwhile, it's Beer:30  !!  ;D

mahalo
Erik

erikpowell

Update:
Ta-Daaaaa !!    ;D   Finally, it came apart

One cycle submerged in boiling water + salt-away and sit till cool
-nada
One more cycle boiling water + simple green and salt-away.. few shakes here and there
one hour later she started to budge with a nudge from mr. screwdriver...
...and presto!

yeah, it'll still leave a mark or two  ;)
Here's how it cleaned up:

well it's not quite beer:30 yet, but I think i deserve one anyway...it's already friday afternoon here!

Hope that helps some folks out.

bluefish69

I know if that was mt reel I would be buying some new parts. All that pitting will only grow.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

handi2

Today I was on my 5th Tiagra 30WLRSA for a customer and found the drag washer to have the tiny metallic specs in the drag material. Instead of ordering a $42.00 drag washer I scraped the old material off with a razor blade, It comes off extremely easy. The material I use to replace it was 0.75mm Carbontex as I keep many sheets on hand.

The backing was cleaned and I used 3M spray adhesive. The 2 were bonded together and the extra Carbontex material was carefully removed. It works perfectly and I did this to a Shimano Torsa 2 years ago that is used for Amberjack fishing so I know it will hold up.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL