Tiagra 50 WLRS

Started by kamuwela, November 30, 2010, 06:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamuwela

NOTE: This is a short version. If you follow my previous posting on the 80 Tiagra, its almost identical to this reel.

Remove the handle, back off the drag all the way, remove drag lever and quadrant ring.

Get yourself a towel, and lay the parts out in the order they were removed.

Remove right cover, pinion gear, and spool. wrap spool with saran wrap to prevent getting grease on your line.

Remove anti-reverse gear and left side plate.

Remove crosspin, Bellville washers and shims, pinion shaft, drag washers, clicker plate, drag plate and spool bearings,

Clean and repack spool bearings. NOTE: all Tiagra's run unshielded bearings. Put a light coat of grease under the drag plate.

Lightly coat alert ratchet with marine grease.

Coat drag washer with Cal's grease, wipe excess.

Clean left side cover and bearing. Lightly coat all surfaces with grease. NOTE: 0-ring on side cover, this is found in both 80 and 50 series Tiagras. Repack bearing and install in cover.

A small bead of grease around frame, brush all screws with grease and install left side cover.

Install pinion shaft, spring, cross pin, and drag washer.

Grease drag cover 0-ring, install cover and anti-reverse gear. Make sure to grease screws.

This is where the madness begins. Install shims, Bellville's, flat washer, and cross pin. Stock configuration for this reel is: (())(())| I opted for the max: (((((((((|

Install spool in frame.

Remove gear assembly and cover bearing. Clean and re-grease bearing and cover.

Clean gear assembly. NOTE: cut away in gear.

Grease shaft and install gear. NOTE: fiber washer face inward.

Install fiber washer and drag adjuster in right side plate.

Remove 2 Phillip screws, this will separate the 2 right halves.

Separate right side halves. NOTE: outer half is plastic.

Remove spring on alert plunger.

Remove cross pin.

Alert plunger assembly. NOTE: grease turned light blue color. This is from water intrusion. In my opinion, this is the worst water intrusion point on these reels.

Pack plunger assembly with grease.

Coat outer cover with grease. NOTE: this cover is made of plastic, be careful not to strip screws.

[b>Install gear assembly in right side cover. Install cover on frame.[/b]

Install quadrant ring, drag lever, and handle.

Here's the madness. 45LBS at strike. Only 15 secs. Of free spool with grease packed bearings. Im not worried about free spool because I wont be casting these reels. Drag setting=Tiagra 130. Hope I don't break my pole.

josa1

Hi Kamuwela,

I certainly enjoyed this post.  It was well organized and had great pictures.  I found it also answered my question about the gear/spacer stack up on the drive shaft.  Thanks!

Josa1

Jimmer

45lbs at strike? WOW! What's max? - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

kamuwela

thanks josa glad i could help. jimmer i really dont know scale only goes to 50 lol. i was afraid the pole was gonna break.

nicky.phil

Hi Kamuwela, very nice post, have encountered a tiagra 50 wlrs drag cover that came off while retrieving bait ??? have you experience this? any remedy ??? many thanks :)

kamuwela

i have never seen this. most time's those cover's almost need to be pryed off. is the o ring still there? did the screw's back off?

alantani

yeah, you'd have to lose all 5 screws.  maybe they were never there to begin with!  that's happened with penns and their screw in covers before. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Very nice post Kamuwela, I'm seeing a lot of talent here. Thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

kamuwela

thank you very much  such kind word's

Bryan Young

Ok guys, I got one for you.  In the Tiagra 50s and 80s, there is a thing called the piston centered just behind the right side spool bearing.  It is known as Shimano Hydrothermal Drag.  Per the Tiagra brochure, it states "The Shimano Hydrothermal Drag (SHD) system has a special oil-filled piston that
is an integral part of the drag system. The hydrothermal piston expands with the heat at a rate that compensates for the heat induced-drag washer friction change (drag decrease). The piston's size has been carefully designed to keep the net drag change (due to heat) to a minimum."  It's not on the 130s nor on the 30s and smaller.  Seem rather odd tha it is only used on the 50s and 80s.

Oh, I just figured out how it works.  when it heats up, it pushes on the right side bearing, which is against the bevels, pulling the drag washer tighter on the left side.

The reason why I'm asking is because wondering if it's absolutely necessary.  I was tasked to take a Tiagra 50W and create a reel this size with optimal freespool to toss live bait to the big boys (I'm assuming marlin) and allowing the bait to swim freely.  I discovered that this device, slows down the free spool as if the bearings were greased.  Well, I removed the piston and replaced it with another bearing and spool sleeve, and now I have got optimal free spool.  To account for the non-automatic adjustement, I figure that a bevel rearrangement from <<>><<>> to <<<<>>>> would allow the reel to have greater drag with less movement of the lever.  This will allow the fisherman to better compensate for the loss of drag vs. heating effect as Shimano described.  Check this out and let me know what you think.

Pics will follow this weekend at the latest.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

hi kamu,i cant get my mind around the bellevile washer set up.
what maxi drag you aiming at?
also,will the reel take it?
if i used that setup they would be cuttin doughnuts offa me.lol!

kamuwela

yes wallace it was a joke. well ill try a poke at this. we fish for ahi and marlin with 130 pound class reel's. we use 150 lb mono with 300 lb leader. many of us have had many large marlin on small lures with 80 lb test. most time the marlin win's. so i decided to see how far i could take a 50 loaded with 100 lb mono with 30lb leader. keep in mind here in hawaii we hand line most fish so this the closest to sport fishing. anyway's the reel put's out the same drag as a 130 havent caught anything large on it yet but im thinking of lowering the drag pressure. i think if anything give's out it will be the anti reverse and the side plate bearing's bryan's configuration is more then enough. if i catch a 1000lb marlin on my fifty ill be sure to let the gang know lol.                     aloha
                                                                   kamu

Nessie Hunter

resurrection the Old & dead here!!!!!

I just has a Tiagra 50 W LRS returned due to freespool issue...

What I found was loose screws (all 4 loose) on the Alert plate (Left side Clicker plate)...
One was far enough out it was hitting Bottom of gear????  

Let me get a pic up asap.....

Now my question is.  
(I of course had Greased these screws on original service.)  

**Do you think the grease was the problem or just not tight enough on assembly**??

I will Loctite them if needed....?

Any one with experience on this type of issue?  
Or had this problem before??
Would like to get this figured out to avoid it in the future!!!!

Holding off re-assembly till Im sure what the problem is....

Quick FYI:
this reel was just serviced a couple of months ago, played with some Im sure, then taken to Cabo and this happened on first bait thrown out.. 
Not much use at all for a screw to back all the way out like that IMO???? 
Im leaning toward MY error????  (be gentle on me). LOL

Thanks all....  :D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

kamuwela

boat's have alot of vibration. try using corrosion x on those screw's for piece of mind. i use grease but use a real good tight fitting screw driver and try to get it as tight as possible. this is not an uncommon problem.
                                                          good luck aloha
                                                                 kamu

jlw1972

I'm wondering, would the Bellville configuration (((((((((|  on a 30W LRS put the drag any where near what it did for the 50? Any ideal of the max I could get from it?