Braided line

Started by sharkman, April 29, 2015, 04:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

It lasts almost forever and in the long run is far cheaper than mono. Almost no stretch so your sensitivity is better.   Use a topshot lighter than your Spectra mainline so it breaks first and you do not leave spectra in the environment.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Slazmo

Quote from: Keta on May 09, 2015, 02:00:57 PMUse a topshot lighter than your Spectra mainline so it breaks first and you do not leave spectra in the environment.

I've lost about 300 meters of 30lb braid here in the Broadwater on the gold coast... Fish just kept running and the spool kept getting hotter and hotter and drag kept failing more and more...

Wonder how long it'll take for it to break down?

ktmatsum

I personally like the Jerry Brown solid braid.  Just a note that their 80# braid is thicker than Power Pro 80# braid.  Here is what they gave me when I emailed them:

50# - 0.013''
65# - 0.016''
80# - 0.018''

I only emailed because I assumed the diameter was the same but the reel didn't fit the amount of line that it was rated for using power pro.

js1172

braid's main purpose is to boost capacity of todays reels due to the smaller diameter, say you have a fin-nor 9500OFS, you can put 470 yards of 65# on it, it makes 65# of drag, you now have a spinning reel that outclasses a 30W trolling reel if you use mono on it, and it makes 1.5X the drag.
I use braid for another reason also, longevity, I run a mono topshot on my 9/0 class reels, change the 200 yard topshot every 2 years, the braid lasts 6-7 years, plus I have the added capacity of braid.
mono is more abrasion resistant so the topshot makes sense.
js
Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, ya might meet them both if ya show up here not welcome son
way out here/Josh Thompson

MarkT

Spectra has nearly no stretch which I like for bottom fishing.  It's so sensitive that I can feel when a fish comes by and looks at my bait. Oh yeah, that capacity enhancement and longevity thing too. Maybe that's why it's on almost all my reels.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rancanfish

You are so right Mark. 

On a calm day when the drift dies, I can feel my jig touching the rocks, and can jiggle it in place to entice the rockies, like a fresh water bass.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.