Abu 5600C4

Started by onthehook, December 02, 2010, 03:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthehook

Hi Alan,

I have a question about the drag stack on the 5600C4's. I recently installed some carbontex drags washers as a replacement to the stock drags. Before installing the new drags, all the reels functioned normally. I followed the reel schematics you have listed on your site, I have also broke these reels down once a year since I purchased them 4 years ago. Each drag washer had Cal's drag grease applied as recommended in your tutorial. All bearings were lubricated with CorrosionX. Since then I have a couple of reels that don't freespool like they used to. When I attempt to let line out, it won't release line. I have to manually pull out line, and it appears to surge off the spool.
One more thing I noticed is with the drags backed off all the way, I still feel resistance when pulling on the line. With the drags backed off, in theory it should just pull line freely right? Three of the six reels function this way. I do notice when I have a fish on the drags appear to work very smooth.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tad

ijlal

Hi Tad,

I guess you have replaced the metal washers as well and for some reason your drag stack has become too thick to be pressed by the sideplate constantly. Did you replace the cupped washer by the flat one provided by Smoooth Drag? Do keep is mind the replacement metal washers are thicker than the stock ones. Also, did you replace the the stock fiber washer under the main gear? It happened to me when I upgraded to carbontex on my 6600, though I don't remember exactly how I solved the problem.

Just my .02!

Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

onthehook

Ijlal,

Nope the metal washers and the cupped washers are stock. I did use the replacement washer provided by Carbontex under the main gear. The thing that stumps me is only a few reels stick or have too much tension at freespool and three reels still have some tension even with the drags backed all the way off. The other reels function great, no problems. I'm gonna pull the trouble reels apart today to see if maybe something isn't lining up right. Just is wierd only a few reels are causing problems.

Thanks,

Tad

onthehook

Ijlal,

Problem fixed, tore the reels apart. I didn't notice anything big, I did apply a fresh coat of Cal's grease and tried flipping the metal washers. I put the cupped washers back in the same manner as the tutorial posted on the website (). The freespool flows freely with out surging. Even with the star backed all the way off, it still doesn't feel as free as the old drag stack. Like you mentioned it probably is the replacement washer located under the main gear, it is a lot thicker than the stock one. The drag on the two trouble reels function like the rest now. Smooth as silk.

Thanks for the reply,

Maybe next time, I need to ask a question on my Accurate to get more input. I didn't realize my Abu was such a low priority.

alantani

there is a small metal washer underneath the ratchet gear.  removing that will give you more room.  no possibility that you had the stock drag washer AND the carbontex drag washer underneath the main gear?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

onthehook

The only thing left under the main gear is the small copper washer, I'll try and remove that. I removed the old dime sized stock washer when I installed the new drags. I know this for sure.

Thanks