Pitting

Started by dustin.brace, December 02, 2010, 04:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustin.brace

Hey, is there anything at all that I can do to deal with pitting? I don't mind the pitting being there, it just isn't all that pretty. Since my weekend spending spree was focused on Penn reels, it looks like I may start collecting (but still using) Penn reels. I want to have them look good but more importantly, function well.

Thanks guys!
" height="90" width="160

Norcal Pescador

Dustin,
I'm assuming you're referring to chrome pitting. I had the same issue on most of my Penns and I did the best I could with it. I don't mind small amounts of brass showing through, because I'm mainly after function. How I dealt with it was: [1] took a brass-bristled brush to remove the green crusty junk, [2] steel wool to get the parts smooth, [3] then Brasso to polish the metal. If the parts were too far gone after the steel wool to make them passable in my eye, I just replaced them. Mostly posts [part #37] and side plate rings got replaced. I made sure the post in the top front position was especially smooth (new) so it wouldn't chafe my line as I reeled in.

With that said, several others have reported good results with CLR cleaner. Have you checked out mysticparts.com? You can get an idea on what it'll cost for parts to get the finished product you want. Hope this helps.
Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Irish Jigger

Penn now make many of their Side Rings in stainless steel. Posts in stainless steel are available from a US supplier on ebay at a very  attractive price. No more green posts!

Phinaddict

Dustin,
You'll get  many ideas/responses  on this.  I think just a little ways back there was a thread about this.
CLR, vinegar with baking soda, wd40, Salt-X. Everyone has a method.
My process is to degrease, soak in Vinegar/baking soda 24 hrs then rinse and brush with a soft toothbrush.
If it looks acceptable, use it again. If it looks bad, then order new ones from Pennparts.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

aus bass

Ultrasonic will give it a thorough clean but at added expense if you dont have one.

I also second the vinegar and bi-carb soda mix for a cheap alternative method. In fact vinegar and bi-carb have multiple uses around the home, floor cleaner, enviro friendly drain cleaners. It's not just for fishing reels  ;D
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Phinaddict on December 03, 2010, 03:34:17 AM

My process is to degrease, soak in Vinegar/baking soda 24 hrs then rinse and brush with a soft toothbrush.

Gene,
What's the mix on the vinegar and baking soda? I'll try that method next.

Rob
Rob

akfish

I use straight white vinegar when I find myself out of Salt-X. I've never used baking soda.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

aus bass

Quote from: akfish on December 05, 2010, 01:48:59 AM
I use straight white vinegar when I find myself out of Salt-X. I've never used baking soda.

Baking soda simply adds bubbles (effervescence) and speeds up the process.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

Phinaddict

Hey Rob,
I usually wing it... but it's usually about a half cup of vinegar and .5  to 1.0 teaspoon of BS, uh, that's baking soda I mean. It's gentle on the good remaining chrome.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Phinaddict on December 05, 2010, 06:36:32 AM
Hey Rob,
I usually wing it... but it's usually about a half cup of vinegar and .5  to 1.0 teaspoon of BS, uh, that's baking soda I mean. It's gentle on the good remaining chrome.

Ahhhh! Good old BS. There's never a shortage of it! ;D ;D
Rob

Dominick

Hey Guys: Will vinegar and baking soda work on rog guides to get the green gunk off?  Any other tips for cleaning the guides?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 24, 2010, 08:10:19 PM
Hey Guys: Will vinegar and baking soda work on rog guides to get the green gunk off?  Any other tips for cleaning the guides?  Dominick
Hey Pescachaser, this is a REEL forum...jk.

I'd take similar approaches with the cleaning methods above, but use a toothbrush and brush every 5 or so minutes.  If it's in the ring, I use steel wool after to smooth out the ring then take a dremel with a buffing wheel to smooth it out even more.  If it looks bad, it may be best to just replace the guide.  The only thing worse than a busted guide during fighting a fish is a busted reel.  A busted guide during a fight may result in a shattered pole.

Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Phinaddict

Oh, and don't forget the importance of smooth guides.. don't want no line breaking with a fish on!

Dominick

[Quote  Hey Pescachaser, this is a REEL forum...jk.]

I know this is a reel site.  Isn't the reel the long flexible thingy??? ::)
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Funny that I happen to gravitate to this sight, and now a moderator.  I used to wrap custom fishing rods professionally for about 20 years.  If you have any general fishing rod questions, you may PM me directly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D