Cozzone Reels

Started by coastal_dan, April 02, 2015, 02:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Mike (or anyone else with information!) - Any info on these guys?  Looks like they only manufactured reels from 1922 - 1931 under John A. Cozzone.  Remind me of some of the Ocean City reels.

Thanks  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Superhook

Dan,

Your Cozzone is made of German Silver and will clean/polish as good as you want. The spool arbor is brass and will clean up. Well made reels.

Phil White wrote a small book on Cozzone Reels and an ORCA member, Brian has collected many of them in different sizes and models as well as the reels made for the trade. Check out his website of Cozzone . Photos and information.

http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/cozzone-reels.html

The ORCA Newsletter has a full story on Seagull/Cozzone in their March 2015 issue.

Ray

Penn Chronology

They are considered hand made, high quality and can sometime sell high.

I have only one in my collection. It is a Squidder (Surf Reel). They clean up really nice with little effort because of the high quality of the German Silver used for this brand.

Cozzone is a special reel that is held in high esteem by most collectors.

coastal_dan

Ray and Mike - Thanks a ton for the info.  Mike that is absolutely gorgeous.  I think this will be my next project.  I did find the clicker spring is broken...probably quite difficult to find parts...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Penn Chronology

QuoteI did find the clicker spring is broken...probably quite difficult to find parts...

No such thing as parts for a Cozzone, you need to find a donor reel.

coastal_dan

Mike - good to know on the parts.

Took her apart and started polishing the spool...I think this is going to be fun  ;D

Dan from Philadelphia...

Penn Chronology

QuoteTook her apart and started polishing the spool...I think this is going to be fun

A Cozzone has the potential for jewelry like results. Looks like you are off to a good start.

coastal_dan

Ok, all done.  Didn't go to the 'jewelry' like shine, but I like this look....used and caught fish, but nice and shiney in the right places.

Posts for comparison...

And the reel all assembled.  Just need to hit it with some Neverdull at some point.

I really enjoyed this little bit of work...greased the gears and it is super smooth.  These freespool reels must have hurt a few people, haha.
Dan from Philadelphia...

mike1010

Beautiful reel.  Nice work.

Penn Chronology

Fine job Dan, the Cozzone reels have a very interesting history that goes way back into the 19th Century fishing tackle industry in the United States. You have now become a official Cozzone custodian, welcome to the fold.............................. ;)

coastal_dan

The word "Custodian" is perfect for some of these reels, because they will outlive us by a long shot.  Adds to the legacy of a brand for sure.

Thanks guys  :)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Reel 224

Very nice job costal_dan. Everytime I read a post like this one I get inspired to take one of my old reels and start polishing and greasing it up ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Excellent work on that Cozzone Dan! ;)
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Thanks!  I need to get the book and read up on their history a bit.

http://www.oldreels.com/cozzone.htm

Ray: I finally got a chance to go through Mr. White's website....holy cow.  I could spend hours just looking at the pictures.
Dan from Philadelphia...