Heavy vibration and grinding when reeling

Started by Tom McKinney, April 04, 2015, 01:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

I have a couple of 113h reels I am trying to put back together.  I have assembled a number of them in the past.  It seems that no matter what I do and switch around between the two reels, both of which were assembled from spares, I get a really strong vibration and grinding when I reel in under any kind of a load.  Free spool is great and drag seems smooth but the gears . . . Maybe they aren't meshing together right? What can I do?  Noise is not the issue, it's a palpable vibration of some strength.

Shark Hunter

Without pictures, its hard to say, but it sounds like the gears or yoke or both need replaced.
Life is Good!

alantani

check the bearings.

here's something for you to consider.  the bearings are small enough that they can be crushed and basically function like bushings. the inside race can move radially under a heavy load so that the gear teeth are no longer in proper alignment.  under no load, the spool spins poorly and the reel cranks fine.  under a heavy load, the teeth grind. 

if the bearings are rough at all, change them out.  with a car, it's usually a burnt plug before it's a burnt piston.  for a reel, it's usually a bad bearing before it's a bad set of gears.  take a look and let us know?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Boss,
I mean no disrespect, but I have yet to see old school penn bearings go bad. Sure, if they are neglected enough. By that, I mean used as a sand shovel. Those old school bearings are nothing like they make today in the Avet Bearing eating Machines.
Let us know Tom, what the dealio is.
Life is Good!

alantani

i just finished going through a 113h that had this exact problem - crummy free spool, normal cranking under no load, and grinding under a load.  it was the bearings.  it was quite a surprise.  i did a cursory check of the bearings and felt no roughness because they were not turning.  with the spool slightly displaced because of the damaged bearing, the gear teeth were not meshing properly.  you learn something new every day. 

alantani

oh, and the way they were damaged?  the owner cranked down on the left side bearing cup too much.  the man didn't know his own strength. 

alantani

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 04, 2015, 05:59:28 AM
Boss,
I mean no disrespect, but I have yet to see old school penn bearings go bad. Sure, if they are neglected enough. By that, I mean used as a sand shovel. Those old school bearings are nothing like they make today in the Avet Bearing eating Machines.
Let us know Tom, what the dealio is.

Bearings on those do go bad and so do all other reels ever made.
The bearings on spinners go faster, unless you have an Avet ;D.
The Penn Spinnfisher have huge stainless steel bearings, you would think they would last forever :-\
Quote from: Tom McKinney on April 04, 2015, 01:04:18 AM
I have a couple of 113h reels I am trying to put back together.  I have assembled a number of them in the past.  It seems that no matter what I do and switch around between the two reels, both of which were assembled from spares, I get a really strong vibration and grinding when I reel in under any kind of a load.  Free spool is great and drag seems smooth but the gears . . . Maybe they aren't meshing together right? What can I do?  Noise is not the issue, it's a palpable vibration of some strength.

To me from what you've explained about the feel, I would go straight to the bearings, but you've mentioned that free spool feels nice, so maybe the bearings are good :-\.
Try switching just the pinion and see what happens, gear teeth will deform a little, especially if the reel has been fished hard.
This is not a bad thing, but the pinion and main gear need to be kept together, if not, you'll get what you're experiencing.
Give it a shot, it doesn't cost anything.
Your next step would be new gears, that will also determine if your bearings are good.
Good luck!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Cone

Tom I have a brass main and a pinion if you need it. No charge. Just pm me your address.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Tom McKinney

Thanks, will send a PM.

Sine these reels are all made from parts piles, I'm not sure if another used set will fix the problem given the comments above.  Should I try new yokes to keep things lined up?

Shark Hunter

Tom,
You need to go to the bearings first. Then the gears and yoke. Keep us posted. Bob is offering the gears, I can supply a yoke. Keep us posted.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Dawn at smooth drag can shoot you a set of bearings For 15$ + shipping I believe.

Tom McKinney

The thing frees pools like a dream so I can't see how the bearing would be the cause.  Anybody ever had similar happen  i.e. Good frees pool but grinding?

alantani

Quote from: Tom McKinney on April 06, 2015, 05:02:13 AM
The thing frees pools like a dream so I can't see how the bearing would be the cause.  Anybody ever had similar happen  i.e. Good frees pool but grinding?

yes, the last senator i worked on was EXACTLY like this.  get a small phillips screwdriver, push down on the inside race of the bearing, twist and see if it's rough.  that's the only way to know for sure if the bearings are bad.