80TW - A look inside the International 80TW

Started by Nemo, October 27, 2011, 08:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris

Night Prowler and Dweezy,

I have an 80STW and it had a similar problem - lots of lever movement doing nothing then a very steep drag curve that locks up well before 'full'. Pushing the lever to 'full' was only possible with the pre-set screwed out and something told me all was not well inside as winding was tight if the drag was set too tight. So, I take it apart... my first venture into International disassembly...

I found there were only three belville washers stacked (() instead of the expected four stacked ()(). No wonder it was not right! So I need another washer and to refit them properly, then I expect the problem to be cured. I wonder whether it was always like that or if someone fiddled with it and didn;t notice they'd mucked up?

Anyway, the re-assembly is a project in progress and I plan to take some pictures as I go.

kamuwela

yes the washers go ()() stock position. take the right side apart and reassemble the cam and housing as a unit. install the bearing and handle you can test bearing travel with your thumb on the bearing and move the handle to make sure you have full travel before reassembly. i have used the handle upside down and the reel still assembled to manipulate the cam till i have it in the right position. if installed as a unit you wont have the problem. i learned this the hard way along time ago on my first few reels i did. learned alot since those early days thanks to alan and the gang.

Robert Janssen

Again, a few words about the effect of belleville spring washers. Their place in this context is very important. It happens with some regularity, that a poster complains of a unsatisfactory drag curve in their lever drag reel.* And with some regularity, it is eventually shown that someone has previously been fiddling with the arrangement of belleville spring washers.

The charts below are self-explanatory, if one visualizes the curves as the reel's resultant drag curve.

*Any / all / most / some lever-drag reels; not neccesarily relevant only to this reel or thread

« previous

UKChris

Well, Saturday afternoon I sat down with a kitchen table full of parts from the 80STW, a pot of tea and some nice blue marine grease (from Lucas) and of course the schematic diagram and some reading glasses!

I had taken every single bit apart - there are a lot, aren't there - except the itty bitty springs in the buttons for 'free' and 'strike'. Even the gear-change plunger came apart. Every scrap of rust and corrosion was removed and any rough bits on the drive gears gently rubbed with micromesh cloths till they shone like mirrors. In particular, the drag cam wanted a bit of attention as it had a rough corner that had scratched the thing it pushes forward.

I took the shields out of one side of each of the spool bearings, degreased them and repacked by hand - messy! The shields were scrapped but the shield on the other side of each bearing was OK so I replaced them with the shield side visible.

The two smaller bearings on the handle drive shaft had shields that could be removed and replaced by picking out a spring so after cleaning and packing, the shields were replaced. I meant to say that after removing the retaining spring, rather than risk damaging the shield when trying to dig them out, a gentle poke from the other side (ie right through the bearing) with a piece of #4 leader wire simply let them drop off.

Then I put it all back together again. All bits were greased except the drag plates (I know, I know) so there will be no further salt-water intrusion and corrosion out of sight.

It works!!!! ;D

No bits left over either :D

The drag is now smooth and powerful with a nice gradient - somehting that was missing before, along with the missing Belleville washer  ::)

Great reel - now what to load on it?

Thanks everyone for all the great information here that really helped!

kamuwela

perfect good job now you are offically a reel nut, welcome to the club. glad it worked out now to the next project.

UKChris

Thanks Kamuwela,
Couldn't have done it without you!

Next project is a Penn 130ST that was stuck in low gear. Judging by the shape of the handle, I suspect someone dropped it! But it is a big boogah and weighs more than most fish I've caught  :D. I have a T-bar replacement to fit later.

I have got it to shift gears after a partial strip-down. Thankfully, nothing bent or broken internally, just an accumulation of dried grease and the nautical salty equivalent of pocket fluff that stopped the little pokey out bits poking out when they should. But it needs a thorough going over now that I know I can do the job on Internationals  ;)

kamuwela

no problem, the 130 will be identical as the 30 just bigger parts. good luck chris

Augie3000

Hi guys, I just took apart my 3rd 50TW.  When I put it back together, the reel is hard to crank.  I have taken it apart three times now and can't figure out the problem.  I checked the bellevilles and they are ()() stock configuration.  The more drag I put on the harder it is to crank the reel.  The reel freespooles fine it seems.  Thanks in advance guys, this is really frustrating me.

Norcal Pescador

Could the preset knob have gotten turned clockwise before reassembly?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Augie3000

I found out that the bearing inside the right side plate, the one inside the preset drag system, was stuck. I opened the shields, cleaned it out and now the reel cranks fine. I had to take apart another reel and switch out the right side plates before I could isolate the problem. Once I found that the problem was in the side plate and not the spool or left side, it didnt take long to find the bearing problem. I guess I hadn't checked the reel before I serviced it or I would have known there was a problem with the handle turning.

Thanks guys! Hope this helps someone else.

swordfishsteve

Hi Nemo
Looking at your tutorial and your original drag fibre washers, they are for sure the HT100 type and will require a light sand with 120grit dry paper and carb or brakeclean to get rid of dry burnt grease in fibres, then I would suggest fitting a rotary tuned drag metal plate, see this image:
sorry I am unable to insert the image of the drag plate? not sure why, anyway light Cals lube refurbished drag fibre washers and you will have a 100% drag system, try this web link to my products:
http://www.swordfishmarine.co.nz/index.php?page=xshop&thisOffset=55&lineIndex=55&find=&category=products&subcategory=&subcategory2=&function=look
cheers swordfishsteve

FatTuna

I love the use of the old sock in this build  ;D.

UKChris