30sw international

Started by alantani, December 15, 2008, 08:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I tried to go that route but the plate can not easily be removed.... There is one really stuck screw that someone already destroyed the head on. All of the others came out. I'm going to try some PB blaster on it tomorrow. The pre-set knob just spins, there is no resistance. This reel is one of the worst that I've seen. It's not mine but I might offer to buy it for parts if it's not economical to fix. Believe it or not but the spool, handle, frame, non-handle sideplate, drag, etc, are all fine. It's just this one sideplate that got really wet and sat for years. I managed to remove both main gears and clean them. Everything else cleaned up fine. I'm going to put some serious effort into it tomorrow. I get a sense of enjoyment bringing reels like this back into service.

FatTuna

Progress so far. Still a ways to go on this one.

Stuck

I've just picked up a 2nd hand 30T and it looks to be in good shape (fingers crossed), Is there a plastic type rod clamp for these reels or are we stuck with the old style all metal "gunnel gouger" setup ?.

Tightlines667

That's a good question.  

According to MysticParts, there is only one rod clamp that fits this reel.  I think the problem lies in the thread size, limited nut options, and stud diameter.  Flipping the accorn nut upside down, and/or using a spacer might solve thE length issue, you may need to enlarge the holes in the rod clamp to accept the larger diameter stud as well.  I think spacing should be ok, but maybe someone can confirm this for you?  I am away from my bench at the moment.

This is the one I would try....

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/33N-113.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mizmo67

Sorry that I didn't see this before, still catching up.

No..I wouldn't recommend using a graphite clamp with the larger international reels just due to the amount of torque involved. personally.
I think that is why there isn't an option for one from Penn.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Bottoms Up

This may sound real dumb...

It looks like you are packing your bearings with the Yamaha grease. That's seems normal to me. Why do the Penn pack say to use oil for the bearings?  

I have 3 Penn 50SW I am attempting to put back together. They were never used. Just trying to make sure I don't botch it up. I currently have Penn Oil/Grease and Corrosion X and am stopping by the Auto store to pick up carb cleaner.