Shimano Tyrnos 10 Sale

Started by Bryan Young, December 06, 2010, 07:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Just saw this add at J&H Tackle.   I know some of you like Tyrnos reels.  Happy buying if you want a Tyrnos 10.

$100 for single speed.
$140 for 2-speed.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Roger

Daaaaammmnn, that's cheap............
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

you know, they're great reels!  i think they just did a lousy job of marketing them.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

Size wise, how does it compare to a Torque 100??????
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I wouldn't mind having an 8, 12, and 20 2-speed.  All narrow frame reels.

8 is the same as 12 except narrower.
12 is same as 16 except narrower.
20 is the same as 30 except narrower.

On the other hand, the 10 is only an ounce or so heavier than the 8, so will it make much difference in such a small reel???
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Whiteman

I use the 12 and it's a great reel. I busted it down completely on the weekend and all was good after some serious sessions.
$99 for a 10 seems ridiculously low. If this was a shop in Australia they would have punters queued out the door!

alantani

and with the australian dollar as strong as it is, it's even more of a bargain. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Russ57

I had asked awhile back about a small rugged reel for bottom fishing.  Later on I had asked about a low priced two speed reel.

I figured this sale was the right excuse.  I just wished they had the 12 on sale instead of the 10:(

Whiteman

Alan, I don't NEED another overhead. Slightly off subject, I used my Shimano 4500 Baitrunner for the fist time in many months last outing and was surprised at the power of this reel when combined with a longer rod than I normally use. The overheads are ideal for getting large bottom feeding species off the deck but this big spin reel seems to be better when you have a serious fight on your hands with tuna, sharks and mackerel.

However, if I was in the market for a Tyrnos I would not hesitate to snap up the 10 at that price. Using braid there won't be much real world difference between the 10 and the 12.

Bryan Young

The Tyrnos 12 is a narrrow 16.  Larger diameter with larger drags.

For the 8/10, I'd probably use 50# spectra.  For the 12/16, 65# spectra.  You could possibly use 80# is you don't need abundance line capacity.