Avet MXL 5.8 Service

Started by bestout, April 08, 2015, 02:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

About a month or 2  i bought this avet from a friend he told me he serviced about 5 months before i bought it. So i decided to give it a try and do my first service to my Avet.
Its going to be kind of long but i want it to be detailed.
Ill be using:
ReelX and Yamalube Marine Grease.

I used ReelX on all Spool Bearing
Pinion and Shaft Bearing will be with grease.

Schematics : http://www.avetreels.net/uploads/MXL_5.8.pdf

So heres the reel :D

Take the 49-Preset Knob and the 48-Preset Spring. Make sure its on free spool its soo much easier.

Then comes the 46-Drive Washer , 2x 45-Teflon Washers, 44-Lever Arm.

Take the 30-End Housing off by unscrewing, 3x 38-End Housing Screws.

Remove the 22-Pinion Gear then the 18-Brake Disk 20-Antireverse Gear and 21-Disk Ring all together will come out. (I will not take this apart because the disk ring its very tight and im afraid i will break it) at last the 17-Brake Bearing will come off.

Take the whole spool off by pulling the 4-Spool Shaft

Now here its the FUNNN part. Carefully pull the 4-Spool Shaft out of the 11-Spool. Carefully take the 15-Spool Spring Washer (HOLD THIS SOMEWHERE SAFE!!!!) they can be lose or one will stick to the 17-Brake Bearing and the other one to 14-Spool Bearing in between those there will a 16-Spool Spring. Then the 8-Spool Tube will come off with the 7-Spool Bearing. Will follow by 6-Pusher Bushing and 4x 5-Belleville Washers.

Here is the 1-Main Housing

Remove 2-Gear Cover by unscrewing the 2x 3-Cover Screws

Then 71-Reel Foot by removing the 72- Reel Foot Screw (I know im missing one :( lost it while rotating the reel foot)

Now back to the 30-End Housing. Remove the 54-Locking Plate Screws and 53-Locking Plate

Take the 50-Handle/Crank Arm,52-Acorn Nut,51-Crank Arm Washer and the  40-Drive Shaft Washer

Inside

Unscrew 2x 32-Dog Cover Screws and 33-Dog Cover

Follow by 31-Dog, 25-Connection Arm.

Remove the whole main gear 24-Drive Shaft , 28-Drive Shaft Gear, 28a-Drive Shaft Washer, 29-Drive Shaft Bearing theres 2 of this the other one will be on the other side of the End Housing.

Now all that's left is the 23-Pinion Bearing

Get an X-Acto Knife or a very sharp blade and carefully pry the bearing covers. (be VERY CAREFULL!!!)

I cleaned the bearings with soapy water and then blew with a canned compressed air to make sure they were dry before lubing them.

Then i fully filled them with grease

Then seal them again with the bearing cover and do the same thing on the other side.

I did this for the 2x 29-Drive Shaft Bearing and the 23-Pinion Bearing

Light coat of grease to the 30-End Housing

Install the 29-Drive Shaft Bearing

Put the 24-Drive Shaft and 28-Drive Shaft Gear with the 39-Drive Shaft Tube lube it very nicely.

Before we put the Drive shaft back install the 22-Pinion Bearing

Now install the Drive Shaft back and the 25-Connection Arm with the 31-Dog

Screw 2x 32-Dog Cover Screws and 33-Dog Cover

lube and install 29-Drive Shaft Bearing follow by 40-Drive Shaft Washer 50- Crank arm/Handle, 51-Crank Arm Washer and the 52-Acorn Nut.

53-Locking Plate and 2x 54-Locking Plate Screws

I heavy grease the 71-Reel Foot and the 72-Reel Foot Screws since this is where most people find salt.

Light coat of grease on the 1-Main Housing

Install the 4-Spool Shaft then the 4x 5-Belleville Washers, 6-Pusher Bushing and finally the 7-Spool Bearing  

grease the 10-Clicker Gear and the side of the 11-Spool

Slide the 11-Spool. Then 8-Spool Tube, 14-Spool Bearing, 15-Spoong Spring Washer, 16-Spool Spring, 15-Spool Spring Washer.

I wont be puting any grease on the drag washer install the 17-Brake Bearing and the 18-Brake disk with the 20-Anti Reverse Gear.

I heavy grease the whole anti reverse gear  with the 22-Pinion Gear.

Install 2-Gear Cover and 2x 3-Cover Screws grease everthing inside the Gear cover and the holes.

Screw the 3x 38-End Housing Screws.

take the 44-Lever Arm and unscrew the 36-Handle knob, 1x 37-Knob Screw. Grease everything inside and put them back together.

Now grease the 44-Lever Arm, 2x 45-Teflon Washers, 46-Drive Washer, 48-Preset Spring, 49-Preset knob.

Now install them it should be very easy if its on free spool everything will fall right in spot.

And now to catch some FISHHHHHH

I made this kind of long. I hope it's detailed and helpful.
Any questions PM me.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The monsters in my head are scared......

Bryan Young

Very nice.  Congratulations.  It's a lot harder to create a tutorial than one thinks.  Thank you for your hard work.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bestout

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 08, 2015, 02:48:42 AM
Very nice.  Congratulations.  It's a lot harder to create a tutorial than one thinks.  Thank you for your hard work.
Thank you Bryan. Took me some time. But it was FUN :D

alantani

send me a pm with your address and i'll send out a wrench!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cubanaso

This was an awesome and very in depth tutorial, thank you! 

bestout

Quote from: cubanaso on May 05, 2015, 01:26:16 AM
This was an awesome and very in depth tutorial, thank you! 
Thank you Cubanaso

Jaheff

It looks as if you put the AR dog in upside down? The long side should be closest to the pinion gear. Look in your first pics before you took it apart, before and after pics are opposite.

Keta

Quote from: Jaheff on May 13, 2015, 08:06:44 PM
It looks as if you put the AR dog in upside down? The long side should be closest to the pinion gear. Look in your first pics before you took it apart, before and after pics are opposite.

Good eye, the AR dog needs to be flipped.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jaheff

Been there before, don't really notice until you pull on the first fish and it slips a little bit.  ;D

Avetman

Very Detailed and good work. The dog is one that gets mixed up all the time. I will be posting tutorials soon on how i do my own Avets from SXJ to TRX 50. Stay tuned.  :)
"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only one you."

Marcq

Yup!! Well done  8) and I don't even own Avet reels 8)

Marc..

retiredandfishing

Thank you for the tutorial Bestout.  I just finished servicing my Avet and it went well due to your efforts.

I am glad I serviced it. I was thinking I would not because it was new in July of 2017.  But here in Tillamook we fish all the way through December so considering I have 5 months of fishing with it thought I should.

To my suprise found surface rust on the main gear face and I could see where water had gotten in around the the crank handle bearing.  Took off the shields on the bearing and found no rust inside but there was rust outside, so looks like it got around the bearing seat.  Also had evidence of water getting into the drag washer, could see some discoloration.  Fortunately it all cleaned up well with no pitting and no new bearings needed. And yes I did grease the drag washer lightly with Cal's. Think it would have been worse had I let it sit much longer. But, I think I am the cause of this. 

I am retired and fish sometimes 5 to 6 days a week during the season, all in saltwater.  I typically rinse off my reels and poles with a hose. I believe the pressure from the hose nozzle is forcing water around that bearing.  Up until now have not had a problem with water intrusion on other reels.  Think now I'll just wipe the Avet down and call it good.

Thanks again for your detailed and helpful tutorial. It gave me the confidence to do my first service on an Avet and probably helped me avoid a costly repair had I let it sit.

Steve

fordfox

Just wanted to add my thanks to the list Bestout, you did one heck of a job that helped me tremendously. I was fishing on a party boat off the South shore of Long Island couple days ago when the rod and reel decided to go for a swim. Luckily, for me, it came up on the other side of the boat (we were drifting) about 15 min later. Knowing the effects of saltwater, I knew it would have to be torn down and cleaned asap. So I went to AT site and there it was, a tutorial for a Avet 5.8. Although it wasn't the exact model (mine is a MXL5.8:1MC) it was close enough for me to give it a go, and that I did! And I only had to go back in 2 more times (those dam "dogs") til I got right. I'm back to normal cause of the time you took, THANK YOU!

bestout

Quote from: fordfox on August 22, 2019, 09:59:21 PM
Just wanted to add my thanks to the list Bestout, you did one heck of a job that helped me tremendously. I was fishing on a party boat off the South shore of Long Island couple days ago when the rod and reel decided to go for a swim. Luckily, for me, it came up on the other side of the boat (we were drifting) about 15 min later. Knowing the effects of saltwater, I knew it would have to be torn down and cleaned asap. So I went to AT site and there it was, a tutorial for a Avet 5.8. Although it wasn't the exact model (mine is a MXL5.8:1MC) it was close enough for me to give it a go, and that I did! And I only had to go back in 2 more times (those dam "dogs") til I got right. I'm back to normal cause of the time you took, THANK YOU!

No problem  :D. Is nice to see that is helping people. ;)
Yeah the dogs always got me for some reason.

mwardncsu

Just wanted to give a shout out of Thanks for this post.... was helpful in building the confidence to tear mine all the way down, clean and rebuild......
Run Shimano Tekota 500/500LCs and Avet MXL 5.8's for all my live-bait reels, and Shimano Stradic CI4+ spinning reels . Shimano Curado bait casters for casting.