Daiwa Sealine Great Lakes 47lc

Started by FishermanTom81, April 09, 2015, 08:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishermanTom81

I have two of these reels.  I am getting about 5lbs of drag.  I assume the washers are shot.  How would I go about fixing this?  How much drag can I expect to gain if I were to switch to Smooth Drag?

borchcl

You'll get plenty of drag. I have changed over several of them to C/F.  Make sure the line is not slipping on the spool.
Regards,
Charlie

Porthos

The CF's in my 50H (same drag stack as the 47LC) "accidentally" reached 18lbs of drag; after tightening to 15lbs (was shooting for a hair over 16lbs on the spring scale), the drag pressure ramped up steeply with smaller increments of additional tightening--really easy to overshoot. So, there is "room" above 16lbs...but it may take time and effort to set it exactly to what you want.

Smooth Drag has retail packaging of a full CF replacement set for the 50H--you don't need to ask or measure for individual washers.

FishermanTom81

Porthos, Did you install the washers with or without grease?

broadway

Daiwa sealine 50h is one of the best small reels ever made (that's not a Penn, of course;)
Great for the northeast inshore fisherman, and with cf's it rocks!
Dom

FishermanTom81

Any idea what could be going on with this reel?  I was getting 4-5lbs of drag with the stock washers.   Now that I installed carbon fiber I am only getting 8lb.  Yes the reel has braid on it but it has sufficient backing.

Porthos

Are your Belleville washers in ( ) config?

What is the stack height of your CF's used vs. the factory washers?

Is the first CF thick enough so that the first keyed washer is sitting on it with sufficient travel along the grooves inside the main gear and are not bottoming out?

Rancanfish

Too bad this thread fizzled...

I'm just pulling apart a NOS Daiwa 47H.  The gear has the ridge inside so I have to figure out drags that will work for it. ( Can't use the original card board looking stuff).

1.44mm thick original
20.72mm OD
13.28mm ID

9.35mm overall thickness w/metal washers.

Can anybody save me some time on which washers to order?

I checked Dawns, #12?  But her site shows they are .76 thick, so can I assume I need to double the bottom? If I double all the fiber I end up with 9.62 total. Close enough? I guess I can reduce the spacer height to reduce the difference.......
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

Alan should know this...he uses these reels for his rock cod fishing setups.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

It's too bad Alan has to feed his family,  we could have him all to ourselves.

I used one of these for my buds' salmon trolling set up for a couple of seasons. Back when Alan was doing Fishermans Warehouse reel service days pretty regularly.

I swore we changed out the drags to CF all those years ago, but found the originals are still in both of these 47's.  I think Alan probably said they were operating smooth enough, and  to just use them 'til they failed.  But they never did. (A pre-cursor to the $20.00 rule?  ;) ).

I'm tempted to just put them back together......

Porthos

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 06, 2015, 03:50:06 AM
Too bad this thread fizzled...

I'm just pulling apart a NOS Daiwa 47H.  The gear has the ridge inside so I have to figure out drags that will work for it. ( Can't use the original card board looking stuff).

1.44mm thick original
20.72mm OD
13.28mm ID

9.35mm overall thickness w/metal washers.

Can anybody save me some time on which washers to order?

I checked Dawns, #12?  But her site shows they are .76 thick, so can I assume I need to double the bottom? If I double all the fiber I end up with 9.62 total. Close enough? I guess I can reduce the spacer height to reduce the difference.......

Randy,

How does the inner diameters of the "cardboard" washers compared to the outer diameter of the gear shaft? And the outer diameter of the "cardboard" washers to the inner diameter of the main gear? Does the main gear have the inner lip? If there are any gaps, like what I found for the Sealines 30H and 50H, factoring in the gap(s) may get you closer to the matching (or close enough) CF's from Dawn or Penn.

As for the 0.27mm difference, the only way to know for sure if it is a non-issue is to dry-fit and reassemble the right-side plate...the old trial and error method.

Wai

Rancanfish

EDITED: SORRY I WAS WRONG >Wai, are you asking is the fit of the washers snug? < THEY DO NOT.  There is a gap between the 'cardboard' drag and the post.

The gear does indeed have the ridge so I will no doubt be doubling the bottom one. (And maybe the others too).

Wish I had a box full of drags to pick from, it's frustrating to have these laying on a tray all apart.  

And out of boredom I tore apart my 170h too, so I have that to do too.

RowdyW

The old style main gears have the ridge in the bottom. If you order a new gear from Daiwa it will not have the ridge. I just take a dremel tool & a grind stone & eliminate the ridge. I've done it with 47's all the way up to 900's then you don't have to do any doubling up of the bottom washer. It's easier to build the stack that way & use the thinner bottom keyed metal washers on the top & bottom.

Shark Hunter

Now that's some good advice Rudy. Fix it yourself and problem solved. ;)
Life is Good!