A CLASSIC

Started by Penn Chronology, April 10, 2015, 01:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Recently I ran across a basket case EVH (Edward vom Hofe), Model 621, Size 3/O. Normally I pass these by because when they are this bad, they can be problematic. Turned out I could not resist this reel because I got for under $150 and for any EVH, that is a low price. So, now I have to try to make this reel operate and look halfway decent. I am not the greatest restorer in the world. I have the skills but my patience level can get a bit thin sometimes. But like I said, the price was right, so why not give it a go. Here is how it all started;

I guess the key word here is "UGLY". Yup, it is corroded, oxidized, sun baked and it does not spin too well;

The thought that comes to mind looking at this old classic is, "It has seen better days"

But, this is a hand made classic and you just cannot throw it away. Right?? >:( You have to give this reel a chance of survival, so here I go!

First thing I do is take off the head plate and look inside. To tell you the truth, inside looks better than the outside. It is all there and together. Nothing is broken, it is just dry. My first look at any ID numbers is the number on the trim ring between the stand screw holes. I see a number "12" stamped into the ring. I have to watch that because that kind of number will tell me if this is a unmolested original reel.

My next step was to take one of the throw off levers off the head plate and I see that same number "12" again on the back side of the lever.

And when I check the tail plate I find another #12, now I am happy. This number is what reel smiths of the past used to do to keep the hand made parts together with the corresponding reel. It is similar to what a car collector looks for when they try to find a "Matching Numbers" car. My old, beat up EVH is a "Matching Numbers Reel"!
So, now I know the side plates and throw off lever are correct original parts, what about the stand;

Yup, there it is, another "12". This is going to be my lucky number for today. The spool has no number, but it does not have a wrong number, it simply has no number making it a generic part for the age of this reel.
      My next job is to try to find the identifying numbers that all EVH reels usually have if they are made some between 1908 and 1942. There are earlier and later reels than those dates but their identification is not as cut and dry as reel from the period I mentioned, so now I start cleaning and looking.

I know the stand is where EVH reels are stamped, so after cleaning I find the bottom of the stand numbers. The three digit number is the Model, here it is a Model 621, the number under that is the size, in this case this reel is a 3/O. I am doing fine. All is right so far.

Above the model number is a stamping "T282". In the EVH world that means two things, the "T" means the reel was made in 1927 and the "282" tells me that reel is the 282nd model 621 3/O made in 1927. That is why I love these old hand made reels. Each one tells a story about itself by the numbers. But there is more;

Under the dirt are three fancy engraved initials, looks like "H P M" is elegantly engraved into the tail plate, demonstrating the importance and value of this reel to its original owner. He paid extra for this, now if these initials would have been "JPM" or "ZG", I would have been going nuts but, of course, you can not have it all. I do not know if J.P. Morgan fished at all, if he did he would have used a EVH reel and Mr. Zane Grey did fish with EVH reels but unfortunately, not this one... :'( Moving on;

Handmade reels are extremely different sometimes. One of the mistakes many rebuilders do is take off the handle, then take off the star wheel and then turn the plate over. If you do that a whole bunch of little roller bearings will come pouring out of the reel and you will go insane looking for these little irreplaceable items, Under the star wheel is a washer and under that washer are many little solid wheels that are placed on edge in a grease cup. These bearing take the compression of the drag wheel as it is tightened under load.

I like to fill the cup with a penetrating grease and carefully place the bearings back into the cup one by and immediately put the washer and start wheel back in place, so as not to have accidental drop causing an aneurism before I complete the job.

So now the time has come to put my Old Classic back together.

Not bad for a basket case.

To a all matching number survivor.

foakes

Mike --

A little more than a buck and a half now!

Great skills, and thanks for educating us!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lunker Larry

That's really impressive. Gotta love it.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

coastal_dan

Another fantastic read and educational blip.  Thank You.  Do you follow the ORCA guide refurbishing?  Or if you don't mind in a few short words, what were your steps to 'shinyness'?  Some use steel wool, others very fine sandpaper, others only some chemicals.  I'm always interested to hear others tactics.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

john2244

The was very interesting.  Thank you,
John

Marcq

Man!! You learn some every day  8)

Very nice

Marc..

FatTuna

That's quite the transformation. What chemical did you use to brighten it up? It doesn't even look like the same reel, nice work.

Tightlines667

Quote from: coastal_dan on April 10, 2015, 02:03:38 AM
Another fantastic read and educational blip.  Thank You.  Do you follow the ORCA guide refurbishing?  Or if you don't mind in a few short words, what were your steps to 'shinyness'?  Some use steel wool, others very fine sandpaper, others only some chemicals.  I'm always interested to hear others tactics.

I too have perused the refurb guidance, and grading system info on the ORCA site, but am still a bit cloudy on how best to restore these antique reels.  Maybe sometime you could share some of your secrets, or at least qdvice on what not to do (i.e. don't remove all the chrome on badly corroded parts).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Mike, "not bad for a basket case."  That is an understatement if I ever heard one.  You did a great job bringing that reel back.  Thanks for showing it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Amazing Michael! You do some good work. That reel looks Fabulous! ;D
Basket Case to Perfection! ;)
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

Thank you all for your kind words about my skills in saving the vom Hofe. I do not own the ORCA restoration guide but I will be buying it to learn some more secrets. Basically I have a small polishing machine. A polishing wheel and the Red Tripoli works for the finish. More time brings higher quality. When you have a spool with this much corrosion I sand it while it is spinning in a drill motor. Start the process with 400 grit, then move to 1200 grit and then polish with Tripoli.

Initial cleaning should be done by soaking the reel parts in a 50--50 mix of vinegar and water for about 4 to 8 hours. That makes your reel parts clean and smelling like a salad with Italian dressing on it.

If you buy the ORCA cleaning and restoration guide, you will get a excellent guide to much better restoration work than this. Some of the ORCA members make a reel so pretty you will want to put it on a gold chain and hang it around your wife's neck like a necklace. Don't do that with a 16/O, she will not appreciate it.... ;)

Bryan Young

My authentic Edward vom Hofe

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteMy authentic Edward vom Hofe

Bryan,

I am impressed with that reel, it seems to be an NOS model 621, even with the original "Hang Tag". There are people that would pay big bucks just for the Hang Tag.

Your reel is the 228th Modle 621--6/O made in the 1929 model year with the original EVH thumb stall. A vom Hofe thumb stall is wired to the hinge, not riveted like a Pflueger. Unique to the brand.

That is a fine collectible. The 1929 price is $85.50. The average worker made about $25.00 a week in 1929. Imagine spending three and a half weeks pay on a 6/O fishing reel. That is why these reels were bought by people with money.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 10, 2015, 06:10:25 AM
My authentic Edward vom Hofe

Wow Brian!

Thats a nice looking reel!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

Thanks.  I also have the original leather reel case.

I've thought of polishing it but I think it's worth more just as it is.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D