NL Newell metal rod on bar replacement

Started by stnakamu, April 15, 2015, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stnakamu

I got a couple of NL Newells that I wanted to spruce up.  The metal rod that sits on the bar in the indention has been long gone and I want to replace it.  Looks pretty easy to do just gotta find what size metal rod that they used to put on there.  Does anyone know?  If you do let me know.

Thanks Shane 

Tunacious

Are you referring to the jack handle? This part, by moving forward or back, puts the reel in or out of gear. It sits atop the right side plate.

bluefish69

Quote from: Tunacious on April 15, 2015, 11:43:59 PM
Are you referring to the jack handle? This part, by moving forward or back, puts the reel in or out of gear. It sits atop the right side plate.

He is talking about the 1/32" SS Wire on the front Cross Bar that fits in the groove.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

stnakamu

1/32 perfect!  Thanks for the measurement!!!!

Tunacious

Quote from: bluefish69 on April 16, 2015, 12:04:24 AM
Quote from: Tunacious on April 15, 2015, 11:43:59 PM

He is talking about the 1/32" SS Wire on the front Cross Bar that fits in the groove.

Mike

Ahhh.....

bluefish69

I didn't measure it, that was by eye.

Mike

stnakamu

Ok thanks I am trying to figure out what kind of metal rod to buy because my NL reels are all missing those bars

Bryan Young

May want to try Malin wire or SS welding rods.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Bring the Cross Bar with you when you shop

Mike

Keta

I have some 3/32" 316L TIG rod if you need some.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

stnakamu

Thanks guys I am gonna take it to the our local welding shop hopefully they got something that fits.

bluefish69

Very likely a welding shop will not have what you are looking for. I have on in my hand now it measures .06 " in Diameter

Mike

stnakamu

If anyone has to replace their rods the size I bought and fits is 1/16 stainless bar 1.59 mm size.  Works perfectly and very cheap on eBay. 

thinkwahoo

You're talking about the line guard that is pressed into the slot on top of the bar. If the slot has spread the ss rod will pop out, so a little (very little) crazy glue will hold it in. Measure the support post length, and I will probably have one. Send me the info with your name and address to:

thnkhoo@yahoo.com

Jerry