Accurate B-197XC

Started by NunojRibeiro, April 20, 2015, 06:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NunojRibeiro

Hello from Portugal Europe

First of all congratulations for the great forum and all de information provided by all users.
And a word or apreciation to Mr. Alan Tani...great "wizard" for our reels in general.

I have an oportunity to buy an Accurate B-197XC...the 6:1 ratio.
I intend to use it in light jigging to dentex of the Atlantic Ocean...maximum sizes reaches 14 kilos but average is 5 or 6 kilos.

The jigs used here are from 100 grs to 200grs on depths around 60 to 80 meters.

The Boss B-197XC is a 6:1 ratio and i read all over its not the ideal because it as a "weaker" lifting power compared to the 4:1 version (B-197C)

Can I give it a go or do I must change the gears???....In the exploded diagrams I think the modifications are minor....or am i completely wrong??

Please, need advise from You all.

Best Regards
Nuno

johndtuttle

Quote from: NunojRibeiro on April 20, 2015, 06:18:46 PM
Hello from Portugal Europe

First of all congratulations for the great forum and all de information provided by all users.
And a word or apreciation to Mr. Alan Tani...great "wizard" for our reels in general.

I have an oportunity to buy an Accurate B-197XC...the 6:1 ratio.
I intend to use it in light jigging to dentex of the Atlantic Ocean...maximum sizes reaches 14 kilos but average is 5 or 6 kilos.

The jigs used here are from 100 grs to 200grs on depths around 60 to 80 meters.

The Boss B-197XC is a 6:1 ratio and i read all over its not the ideal because it as a "weaker" lifting power compared to the 4:1 version (B-197C)

Can I give it a go or do I must change the gears???....In the exploded diagrams I think the modifications are minor....or am i completely wrong??

Please, need advise from You all.

Best Regards
Nuno

You can drop in the lower gear main and pinion with no trouble.

Bryan Young

A lot of jigging reels have higher 6:1 gear ratios.  You will need to really pump the rod more to gain line.  What you loose in cranking torque of the reel is translated to pumping of the rod to get the line up so you can crank the reel when dropping the rod down.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

NunojRibeiro

Mr Young

That was my exact thinking about compromise the High Gear to Low Gear.

Maybe Ill order the Low Gear "just in case" and try fishing on High Gear to get the feeling of it.

By the way...is there any tutorial showing this "upgrade"??....dont think is a brainer but theres always "tricks".

Thanks in advance to all

Best
Nuno