What's your all time favorite reel ?

Started by Phinaddict, December 09, 2010, 06:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Garcia Mitchell 300 (any model)(one of the French made).  Strongest reel = no.  Best built reel = no.  Best looking reel = maybe, especially if you like the conservative look.  Fish getter = for sure.  Full of personalty = absolutely No. 1.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Definitely the American Classic IV for me (which most people have never even heard of). Made and sold by American Classic Sales of Salt Lake City, Utah. It's my main go to reel and more or less an ABU/Zebco Cardinal 4 on steroids, but a close second is any of the fulcrum drag Cardinal 3s.

I've got five of these. Here's four, including my main fisher.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

I would have to pick the Penn Baja Special when going offshore followed by the Fathom 40NLD2.  Caught my first yellowtail and grouper on the BS and 2 bookend 150# bluefin on the Fathom.  On the 8 day this year I plan on putting the Fathom 25NLD2 to work.  Although I did get to use Dominick's tank last year and that was fun.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

boon

Currently, Stella 5000 or 6000. Refinement and power in a small package.

handi2

For me it has to be the Mitchell 300, 302, and 402. That's all we had available when i was fishing the Pensacola beach pier. The 300 was my Cigar Minnow bait reel. The other ones were my King Mackerel and Cobia reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

Quote from: handi2 on September 14, 2022, 11:03:09 PMFor me it has to be the Mitchell 300, 302, and 402. That's all we had available when i was fishing the Pensacola beach pier. The 300 was my Cigar Minnow bait reel. The other ones were my King Mackerel and Cobia reels.

I love the 402 and 406. We already discussed 488 some years back. I'd say this about a 302. They will catch a big fish, and if you can figure out the drag stack, you can rebuild a transmission.

Gfish

Quote from: thorhammer on September 15, 2022, 12:37:31 AM
Quote from: handi2 on September 14, 2022, 11:03:09 PMFor me it has to be the Mitchell 300, 302, and 402. That's all we had available when i was fishing the Pensacola beach pier. The 300 was my Cigar Minnow bait reel. The other ones were my King Mackerel and Cobia reels.

I love the 402 and 406. We already discussed 488 some years back. I'd say this about a 302. They will catch a big fish, and if you can figure out the drag stack, you can rebuild a transmission.

Ha! Mine's a '63 iteration, that still has that drag-stack image sticker on the bottom side of the spool, otherwise I'd haveta spend alota time playing with it!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

Penn 716 greenie from Fred ,mounted on a 5' Ugly Stik lite.2nd would be a Mitchell 308 on a 6.5' Fenwick Eagle- fast action also from Fred.I like 6.5' rods because they are the longest rods that will fit in my F150 Supercrew.Sometimes after fishing I go to a seedy part of town (hole in the wall) to get greasy chicken livers...I wouldn't leave a pole in the truck bed at that place.

JasonGotaProblem

Every time I see this thread I argue with myself. My logical side says I dont have a favorite, my favorite is the right one for the job.

But the other half of my brain keeps shouting that no, my SS700 is definitely my favorite, thats why i keep trying to use it for fish it's definitely too small to be appropriate for. So there's that.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

For me, it would honestly be impossible to pick a favorite reel.

However, I could narrow it down to 3.5 brands —- and they would all come from the "golden age of spinners" ('55 - '90) —- and have the strongest components & materials possible with worm-drives and quality engineering, plus a generational history you can bank,on.

DAM Quicks, Penn Spinfishers in greenies, SS, & Z, ABU/Zebco Cardinals, C3's, plus a "54" —- and the "half" would be Mitchells without alloy gearing (308, 408).

On any given day of fishing —- the reel on the South end of my rod would be a favorite.  And since I have plenty to choose from —- it would not be there if it wasn't one of the best.

I also have a soft spot for the Daiwa's in the Mini sizes from the late 70's —- Mini-Mite, 500C, 700C, 1000C. The golds are the my favorites due to the Ball Bearings —- but it is a snap to just trade out the bushings in the silvers for bearings.

Hard to beat a Cardinal 3 or 54, a DQ 1202, 1000 or a 220/221,  a Penn 716/714, a 700 or an SS in any size.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brewcrafter

Man, this is a No Win answer.  I get this all the time in my line of work (What's my favorite beer (style of) beer).  Changes.  Yes Imperial Stout alongside Prime Rib.  Looking for a refresher while on a Long Range Boat?  I'm looking American Pale (specifically SNPA, but back to the reels).  I really look at when I see so many members that I respect on the forum, well, I take notice.  Midway Tommy has probably forgotten more things about reels than I will ever know, and when he talks about I reel brand I have never heard of - I'm gonna take notice., because it is most definitely Bad ####.  Myself - I have dumped more money into 113h'S than I would probably care to admit (I think there is a Rabbit Hole Thread elsewhere?)....The reason we are who we are, we cannot have Just One.  My emotional attachments?  My Penn 4200UL that I purchased new back in the 70's, and then many of the reels that belonged to my Dad and also the ones from my Father in Law.  Many old Mitchell's and DAMs that came back after the war that Fred has been so good to help me date/maintain.  Hey, when it's a day on the water I honestly have a very hard time figuring out "what am I gonna take?".  These are good problems to have, and I cannot stress how much of a "Thank You!" to the Ohana for educating me. How is that for a non-answer?  :d

pjstevko

Quote from: Brewcrafter on September 16, 2022, 10:27:56 PMMan, this is a No Win answer.  I get this all the time in my line of work (What's my favorite beer (style of) beer).  Changes.  Yes Imperial Stout alongside Prime Rib.  Looking for a refresher while on a Long Range Boat?  I'm looking American Pale (specifically SNPA, but back to the reels).  I really look at when I see so many members that I respect on the forum, well, I take notice.  Midway Tommy has probably forgotten more things about reels than I will ever know, and when he talks about I reel brand I have never heard of - I'm gonna take notice., because it is most definitely Bad ####.  Myself - I have dumped more money into 113h'S than I would probably care to admit (I think there is a Rabbit Hole Thread elsewhere?)....The reason we are who we are, we cannot have Just One.  My emotional attachments?  My Penn 4200UL that I purchased new back in the 70's, and then many of the reels that belonged to my Dad and also the ones from my Father in Law.  Many old Mitchell's and DAMs that came back after the war that Fred has been so good to help me date/maintain.  Hey, when it's a day on the water I honestly have a very hard time figuring out "what am I gonna take?".  These are good problems to have, and I cannot stress how much of a "Thank You!" to the Ohana for educating me. How is that for a non-answer?  :d

Best answer EVER!!!!

sciaenops

Quotethe reel on the South end of my rod would be a favorite. 
...unless I'm way undergunned (no fault of the reel)

Shellbelly

Brewcrafter, that is the best word salad I ever ate!  Seriously, thanks!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Midway Tommy

QuoteBrewcrafter

Midway Tommy has probably forgotten more things about reels than I will ever know

I doubt that very much, but thank you for the wonderful complement!  8) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)