What's your all time favorite reel ?

Started by Phinaddict, December 09, 2010, 06:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Bentley

SL20SH off a Shimano Tiraljo 1300c for the reasons above.
Long casting, high speed for lures, strong enough for anything I'll catch off the beach in Perth. (mind you I would love to be proved wrong on that score.

Dave
Only believe that which you know to be true.

Jim

razor78016

Abu Garcia 6000. Had it for years and still my all time favorite! Sometimes I use my Abu 1750 ;D

mackereljoe

My first reel, Daiwa 1300C spinning reel.  Bonita and NoCal Stripers has taken all the line all the way to the arbor knot a few times but always manage somehow to reel em back.  Another favorite is a jigmaster.

slip tip

Penn 113HN Baja Special will do damn near everything I would want a reel to do; second would be a toss up between the Pro Gear CS501 or CS551.

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

Daisy

Being primarily an inshore/creek crank and swimbait caster I'd have to go with my relatively new Daiwa Zillion Type R, for the old faithful easy to maintain (be almost able to pull it down and reassemble it blindfolded I reckon) it would have to be my ABU Record 50 (new series).
Aw c'mon sweetie? I only need one more reel :-D

Alto Mare

I'm going to say the Penn Senator 113H. I'm agreeing with Dom he prutty much said it all, you just won't find a better reel for the money. This reel reminds me of the old timex watch " Takes a licking and keeps on ticking"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

joel8080

Penn 114HN Baja special and/or a Pro Gear 440 I never go out with out them, have 2 of each with matching rods.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

willybendit

Well after reading all that about your favorite reels   i have stacks of reels where do i start um when i was a kid ( many moons ago) i was bought a mitchell 300 and a match 410 i was top dog on the block  fine reels in there day the best you could have as all the english reels where center pin i still have them to this day  i shudder to think how many reels i have  off the top of my head i have. as i do freshwater fishing as well as seafishing   ill start with the freshwater stuff  two ABU gold two  ABU 1044  three shimano baitrunners three shimano Biomasters  plus a few center pin reels  sea water reel two old intrepid sea streak 12 or there abouts  ABU 900c 8 ABU 12 must have 10 ABU 6500 2 ABU 30 big game reels never been used 4 shimano 25 1 with a broken frame 2 penn GLD 50 2 shimano 700s  2 shimano 700 BSV    bet i have a few that i carnt remember  at this moment in time    might have to get them all out and post pictures   tightlines Alain

ssiniscalchi

My favourite reel is the ambassadeur 6000 and the 6500 CT "Blue Yonder". Nothing casts further than an ABU, they are also inexpensive, very good looking and a piece of cake to mantain!
Now that they have carbon fiber drags they are the best choice for surfcasting fishing with 6 or 7 pounds of drag IMHO.

Breadfan

When I was 15, I lost a big bass on a Zebco 33 due to a lousy drag. My neighbor had just bought a 1981 Shakespeare President II baitcaster (Made in USA) in gun metal blue, it was beautiful. He paid 30 bucks for it at out local Gun/fishing store. I had to have one so I saved and about month later, I had one in my hands. I remember absolutely "horsing" in my first bass in, and I just thought wow, what a reel. I wasted a lot of fishing line that summer due to birds nest but I stuck with it and never looked back. I own two of those reels today and I still use them and they still horse them in. If they had IAR they would be no different from the ABU's of today. But I love the ABU 5000's also. I actually bought one for my daughter first when she was 12, and now we are both hooked on ABU's. So I guess if I had to pick, it would be the Abu 5000, it has stood the test of time and the company is still turning out quality reels while Shakespeare sent everything overseas to made and they just don't have the allure they once did.

STRIPER LOU

I think I have around 20 or so 113h's. Guess this is the one for me. Reasonably priced, easy to service, have never had one fail, and even landed a BFT around 125lbs. Had to do a bit of chasing though! Plus if Sal picked it ya know its a good one.
...............Lou

newfuturevintage

With this thread coming back (for the first time for me), I'll chime that I'm really liking the old Mitchells (no surprise, I guess).  Grew up fishing my grandparents' 300s and inherited them a few years back, getting back into fishing and needing to clean and tune them up is what got me on this board.  While I I really like those, and will always have a soft spot for 'em, I'm thinking the 410 for fresh and the 402 for salt are my faves. 

foakes

Conventional --    Penn Senator 113H

Fresh Spinning -- ABU Suveran, all 4 sizes
                          D.A.M. Quick Microlite 265
                          Mitchell 300C
                          Zebco Cardinal 3
                          Penn 716

Salt Spinning --   Penn 706
                          Fin-Nor Lethal 100
                          D.A.M. Quick Super 275 2-Speed

Not possible for me to choose just 1 --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

My all time favorite would be whatever reel I bought last... and a Pro Gear Albacore Special 280.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!