What's your all time favorite reel ?

Started by Phinaddict, December 09, 2010, 06:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

I grew up mostly meat fishing with hand lines but my dad bought me a rod and reel when I was about 13 years old and the reel was a Ambassadeur 5000. Why and how he chose that reel I will never know as he did not know anything about rods and reels. We only hand lined and gill netted. So having this reel, I learned early on as a kid how to cast a conventional reel pretty dang far.  Today, I have mostly Penns and Shimanos  but will always remember that little red Swedish reel that got me started.

Dominick

I haven't weighed in on this because I find it difficult to decide which is my all time favorite.  I decided that my go to reel is my Penn International Torque 100.  That little reel can bring in just about anything.  I find myself reaching for that reel most times.  That reel has been to Mexico more times than a lot of people I know.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sundaytrucka

I love the 113H with all the mods I have done. Still, my favorite is the Daiwa SL20SH, caught my first yellowtail and first white seabass with that reel and a Seeker 220.

Memories.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

TomT

I guess my 2 favorites are Penns--the Baja Special and a 114H.  I feel the 114H would bring anything to the boat.  I have caught a few marlin, wahoo, YFT,Amberjack and never had a problem ---back in the 70's I brought a 9' blue shark to a party boat at Virg's.  It was a release by the deckhand cutting the line.  I jokingly tried to get him to tag it--but in today's world, the shore shark fishermen even tag, then release while standing in the water with these monsters--Real Men!! ;D ;D
TomT

MFB

Probably my Shimano 6500B bait runner, they're a great stray-lining reel.

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Fisherman Paul

Great question, sort of a torture question lol, as i have
a few, only reason is they were reels built to last and
like some of my fishing rods 20+ and still as good
as when they were first built, anyway this is about
reels so il name.

1. 7ht (black) (old stock)
2. Shimano 4000 (old stock)
3. Akuma Axeon 65 xls (old stock)
4. Penn 750ss (original)

In fact any reel that was built with quality in mind,
and well looked after off course, some don't but
with 1000's of parts still avail today it just shows
the quality of these reels.

To pick one, i can't, but if i was to pick 2, it would be
the 7ht (black) old school, and the penn 750ss, one
because i still have my 2 7ht's yonks and the 750ss
because the parts avail for these reels are still
avail and she is a beautiful reel.

Just to add anyone wanting genuine parts for the
650ss,750ss etc pm me and i have a contact
who has plenty of original parts for these reels,
including the original marine brass gear.

reelrepair123

depends on what I was fishing for, I had two favorites, spinning  a zebco cardinal 4   and conventional a penn 112h.  harryk

Fisherman Paul

Just bought an limited edition 850ss with chrome handle
hardly used from the states, £45 (approx $70).

Thanks guys to this forum for your experience on them.

There is just something about them that ropes you in, love
affair so to speak, also usa made.

ez2cdave

Hi, Guys !

Most of you know that I'm an "old school" enthusiast, for the most part . . . So, here goes, in no particular order !

PENN SQUIDDER ( 146L / 145 / 140L ) with NEWELL Crossbars & Spools ( not the Reel Seat )
PENN 2nd Gen SS Spinfishers ( 450SS / 550SS / 650SS / 750SS )
PENN "GS" ( 525GS / 535GS ) My 535's are UK "Knobby Mag" Versions and ALL of my GS reels have #515-525SP 4.25:1 Gear Sets in them
PENN "GTI" ( 310GTI / 320GTI )
PENN "Mag" ( 525 MAG ) Mine has been converted to the UK "Mag T" Knobby Mag setup, along with a few "tweaks"
PENN SENATOR ( 113HLW / 114HLW ) My 113HLW has a Black TIBURON T4W frame and RED 50th Anniversary spool

DAIWA BG "Black Gold" ( BG10 / BG13 / BG15 / BG20 / BG30 / BG60 / BG90 )
DAIWA SEALINE "H" ( 27H / 30H / 50H / 350H / 400H / 450H / 600H / 900H ) I sure wish they had made a "650H" reel ! ! !
DAIWA SEALINE ( X30SHA )

SHIMANO CALCUTTA ( 700 / 700S )

ABU-GARCIA AMBASSADEUR ( 6500CT MAG ELITE / 6600CLW )

Plus, a few "others", here and there . . .

Tight Lines ! ! !

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Shark Hunter

Since we are reviving an almost 5 year old post. I need to put my two cents in.
Penn 12/0 and 9500ss. Quality has no Fear of Time. This reel is older than me.

Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

I have to say for me it will always be the jigmaster! Sooo versatile in size from 500, 99, 501 and with an insane amount of upgrades. Great for all types of fishing and will last forever Stock still slaying the fish. Also, with accurate making the Jigmaster Magnum.. well that will always be my all time favorite reel  ;D

Pics are 500, 99, 501, then the Magnum!

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 13, 2015, 05:56:43 AMSince we are reviving an almost 5 year old post.

Actually, this thread is sort of "timeless", since this is something that can change, from time to time . . . Keep posting, guys ! ! !

Bill B

It's gotta be my 112H......great size and will handle anything I'm willing to catch.....

OHHHH...and a few others.... ::)
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

PE Pete

For me it's my Accurate DFS BX600 slammer. Best reel I've used for mechanical jigging for Kingys.