June 5-7th "2 Day" Rockfish Charter - Sponsored by California Tackle House

Started by Jon Vadney, April 21, 2015, 04:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

Hey Guys, I've organized a 2day rockfish charter for the above dates.  These trips and PHENOMENAL in that they fish areas that other boats can't reach. 
From Morro Bay, the boat will travel north and fish the coast line in between Morro and Monterey.  Obviously there are no "virgin" waters in California, but this stretch of coastline RARELY encounters fishermen.  Additionally, this skipper really likes to focus on shallow water thereby giving us the opportunity to use lighter gear.  Since this is a 2 day trip, we are allowed to retain 2 limits of fish (20 rockfish, 6 ling cod) over the 2 days.  Lingcod approaching 40 pounds are not unheard of, and 20+ pound fish in these areas are fairly common. 
The boat that we will be boarding is the Black Pearl.  It is 65', has bunks and 2 full heads.  Food is not included but is offered (hot galley) for a nominal charge.  Bring a sleeping bag/blanket and a pillow.  This trip will be limited to 25 people.  25 people on a 65' boat fishing for rockfish will give each fisherman quite a bit of space.  

The Itinerary of the trip:
Check in between 8:30 - 9:30pm Friday (the 5th) night at Virg's Landing.  The boat will motor out and while out at night, the skipper will use his sodium lights to get us live squid.  Obviously, nothing is guaranteed in fishing, but there is a solid chance that we will have a plentiful bounty of live squid to use as bait. 
We fish all day Saturday and Sunday morning.  The boat returns to Morro Bay between 4 and 5pm Sunday evening.  There will be lots of give-aways (one of my custom rods, other swag, etc).  I will be contacting my vendors to get some more stuff to hand out and I will update this post with any additional sponsors that hop on.  
Cost for this trip is $295.  I am running this as an "open charter", but we are treating it like a closed charter until May 20th.  What I mean by that is up until May 20th, we get to decide whose on the boat (alantani.com members, other friends/family, etc).  Once we reach May 20th, if we haven't loaded the boat, it will be turned into an open charter and anyone from the general public will be welcome.  If you are interested in going and have a friend/family member that isn't associated with this site, they are MORE than welcome.  This is straight up first-come-first-served.  

To get on the trip:  Call Virg's Landing at 805-772-1222 and ask to speak to Pamela (an absolute sweetheart by the way).  When you speak to her, tell her you would like to get on the June 5th 2day rockfish trip aboard the Black Pearl and that Jonathan Vadney told you to call.  She will take your credit card information and book you onto the trip. 

The Boat:

fIsHsTiiCkS

That sounds like a solid trip! I will have to see about going on this, work it out with the schedule. What kinda gear do you think would be good for this trip?

alantani

i don't have a june schedule yet, but i will try to get the time off!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jon Vadney

Gear wise, I'd being a 20/25# setup and a 30# setup. That would cover everything.

I hope you guys can make it!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

theswimmer

Sounds great. We fish that area from the shore.
Most of it involves rappelling down. Some of it quite sketchy but I have a great climbing partner ;D
Lots of Lings, Grassys and Cabs,
I will have to see about my schedule.
With my son getting married next Sat. I kind of have a full plate right now..........
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

johndtuttle

Recommended trip guys!

I've never gone long out of Morro Bay but have fished south of Point Sur (not for the faint of heart on a Private Boat).

This stretch of water sees very, very little fishing due to the lack of safe harbors between Morro and Monterey and the prevailing wind and current being right onto the rocky coast. If the weather comes up it is brutal to get home in a small boat and serious biz if any mechanical trouble = very rarely fished in the 20-50 mile zone from the harbor.

This trip will show you what California fishing was like 50 years ago.

65' feet of sportfisher will make it dreamy.  ;)

Jonnybravo

I'm going to try to make this but won't know for sure until closer to the deadline date.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jon Vadney

I can't wait!  Jonnybravo, screw your schedule! You need to get on haha!  John Tuttle, you should try to go as well. It would be great to share the rail with ya!  Theswimmer, it would be awesome to meet you so I hope your schedule will allow ya to go.  

Bryan, you have no excuses, you need to be on this trip :P

Jon Vadney

Big Tim

I fished with that guy the week after he got the Monster Ling. Also on this trip is a chance at a few small reds, ect...

Jon Vadney

Daaaaaaaamn!  I'm gettin more and more pumped up. Small reds....I see what you did there  ;D

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Big Tim

I wanted to add a bit to this trip. I have fished Moro Bay/Virg's since the early 1980's and my favorite trips were the real 2 day trips. This is what we used to do. Leave Friday night, fish all day Saturday then anchor up in San Simeon and fish the shallows all the way back on Sunday. The boats and captains are different but what Jon says is true "Most boats can't reach this area". I believe Rick is the Captain and does like the shallows an I believe he will put you on fish & I do believe Halibut would be a targeted species as well, especially by Rick ?. I hope my money is right by then as I want to go too.

Big Tim

Jon Vadney

Thanks for all the info Tim!  My only ventures to Morro have been for albacore and I did a bunch of trips back in the day on both the Admiral and Princess. I hope you can make it, I'd love to share the rail with ya!