My new light jigging reel

Started by Marcq, April 21, 2015, 09:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slazmo

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 23, 2015, 09:59:14 AM
Nice job on that reel Marc, I also like that wood knob ;).
Sal

+++1...

Also can someone identify the actual material used in the reel is it actual true aluminium or is it a aluminium alloy? My question is the corrosion I remember on them - when I friend owned them - they forever were turning to white powder even with regular service and care...

coastal_dan

Really nice job!!!  Did you make the handle or purchase it?   I'm in the process of doing a 710 greenie build for a 8' - 9' surf rod and man this gives me motivation!  Thanks for sharing, and that will go nicely next to your sweet Z.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Marcq

Quote from: coastal_dan on April 24, 2015, 05:55:51 PM
Really nice job!!!  Did you make the handle or purchase it?   I'm in the process of doing a 710 greenie build for a 8' - 9' surf rod and man this gives me motivation!  Thanks for sharing, and that will go nicely next to your sweet Z.

Thanks!! Yes I made the knob, wanted something different, it's made out of oak, I choose a piece that had two tones of color(one side is darker then the other). There's not to many choices of knobs out there so I decided to make my own again. I like it

Marc..

LTM

Marcq,

What steps and processes did you use to strip the paint from the reel, any pictures?

Thanx,

Leo

Marcq

Quote from: LTM on April 26, 2015, 02:56:49 PM
Marcq,

What steps and processes did you use to strip the paint from the reel, any pictures?

Thanx,

Leo
Sorry I didn't take any pics of that but the process is very easy, I used Rust-Oleum aircraft remover paint stripper, apply it, wait ten minutes and it comes right off. I don't know what kind of paint Penn uses but was surprised how easy it came off compared to Mitchell reels which I haven't figure out yet how to strip these reels

The reel should look like this when stripped, went straight with the polishing on this one, but realized it went faster using wet sanding first

There's another Penn I stripped but to powder coat, this one took 5 minutes to strip

Hope it helps
Marc..

bestout

Marq do another reel with a tutorial everyone likes it.   8) ;D
The monsters in my head are scared......

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

LTM

Thanx for the pics Marcq,

I meant to ALSO ask, what pre-polish preparation steps do you take?

Leo

Marcq

Quote from: LTM on April 26, 2015, 11:40:16 PM
Thanx for the pics Marcq,

I meant to ALSO ask, what pre-polish preparation steps do you take?

Leo

Beside wet sanding, using files to get rid of imperfection on the main body and rotor cup, where the red dots are, don't pay attention to the trip bumper if you are kepping it

Marc..

LTM

Thanx for responding Marcq,

In regards to the frame you show thats been prepared for powder coating; what did/do you do differently? What grit(s) wet sandpaper do you use to prep frames. Lastly, your bail arm is silver on the 650; what steps did you take to do it and how is it holding up to fishing (finish on bail arm)?

Leo

Marcq

Quote from: LTM on April 28, 2015, 03:03:27 PM
Thanx for responding Marcq,

In regards to the frame you show thats been prepared for powder coating; what did/do you do differently? What grit(s) wet sandpaper do you use to prep frames. Lastly, your bail arm is silver on the 650; what steps did you take to do it and how is it holding up to fishing (finish on bail arm)?

Leo

Leo! The prep for the powder coat is a lot less labor Intensive(if there's no corrosion), just a little wet sanding with 320 grit and cleaning with acetone and wearing  latex  gloves when manipulating the part. On the pic showing the penn 105cs I had to do a little more since I was filling the gap left by the medallion with J-b weld, if not for that I could have powder coat the frame right after it was strip and clean

As for the bail arm which is aluminum too, I went with the  polishing  right away after it was striped and all the parts are protected with Mothers Mag&Aluminum  polish, judging from a Penn 710z I did a year ago the same way it's holding pretty good, no complaints
It's maybe due for a little cleaning

Marc..

LTM

THANX MARCQ!

Thanx for the details to your steps; just what I needed. One thing left out though; on the 650SS, the bail arm (that holds the line roller assembly) is made of plastic (isn't it?) and just wondering how you got yours silver.?

Thanx for the photos and details,

Leo

Marcq

Quote from: LTM on April 28, 2015, 06:54:20 PM
THANX MARCQ!

the bail arm (that holds the line roller assembly) is made of plastic (isn't it?) and just wondering how you got yours silver.?

Thanx for the photos and details,

Leo
No, it's made out of aluminum, on mine anyway

You're welcome Leo, anytime

Marc..

Johnj67

Marc nice work, those look great. if i was to strip and polish a reel, how often do you use the Mothers polish to protect against salt water corrosion, or do you use some sort of clear coat??

Thanks

John

Bryan Young

Beautiful. I need to do this in my infinite spare time.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D