HALIBUT AND STRIPER FISHING AND FOOD MAY 14, 2015

Started by Dominick, April 23, 2015, 01:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 15, 2015, 06:33:41 PM
Nice catch of stripers, how much did the pool winner weigh? I didn't know Halibut were in Cali waters, I always thought they were in the Bearing Sea off the coast of Alaska. Hey if I beat Alan's stripers can I get that rod and reel? Just sayin.   
I know what plans he has for that Rod and Reel; but I'm not saying.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

yeah, one of those stripers in front was mine.  not big by most standards, but big enough to win a nice rod and reel!  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel 224

Quote from: alantani on May 15, 2015, 11:03:44 PM
yeah, one of those stripers in front was mine.  not big by most standards, but big enough to win a nice rod and reel! 

Alan:  I would take any of those fish in the front row. Did they weigh it or just do a balance check? And congratulations on your win.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

i dunno, maybe 8-10 pounds at the most. i saw a balance.  that's usually the best way.  i worry less about all those heavy metals from the san francisco bay with these smaller fish.  that's one of the reasons i haven't fished in the bay for so many years. 

q3fishboy

Looks like a fun trip.
Wish I could have gone.

Regarding your mystery fish.
Looks like one of the fringeheads.
I would guess a one-spot fringehead.

Reel 224

Ya ya know that little fish looked like a cross between a sea Robin and an oyster cracker. Nothin like that, that Ive seen around here on the East coast.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Quote from: q3fishboy on May 16, 2015, 01:32:01 AM
Looks like a fun trip.
Wish I could have gone.

Regarding your mystery fish.
Looks like one of the fringeheads.
I would guess a one-spot fringehead.
I think you are right on.  I Googled fringehead.  The fish I caught had the one spot on the upper fin behind the head but the eyes were not bulging and there were no spikes on its head.  Interesting fish.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

q3fishboy

Not sure what to say about the bulgy eyes.

I think the "spikes on its head" you are referring to are actually their cirri.

Cirri are actually just soft flaps of skin that dangle around (also seen on cabezon).

P.S.  You didn't mention this, but the one-spot fringehead doesn't have the crazy jaw like the sarcastic fringeheads, which is most of what I see when I just google frindgehead.

Reel 224

Quote from: alantani on May 16, 2015, 01:08:55 AM
i dunno, maybe 8-10 pounds at the most. i saw a balance.  that's usually the best way.  i worry less about all those heavy metals from the san francisco bay with these smaller fish.  that's one of the reasons i haven't fished in the bay for so many years. 

That's the only thing we are concerned about around here also. Mercury in the larger fish is not good. A lot of the bays and inlets have been cleaned up over the years so I hope the fish have improved.   

alantani

Quote from: q3fishboy on May 16, 2015, 05:30:13 AM
Not sure what to say about the bulgy eyes.  I think the "spikes on its head" you are referring to are actually their cirri.  Cirri are actually just soft flaps of skin that dangle around (also seen on cabezon).   P.S.  You didn't mention this, but the one-spot fringehead doesn't have the crazy jaw like the sarcastic fringeheads, which is most of what I see when I just google frindgehead.   

in case anyone is wondering, roy is our resident marine biologist!!!!!!

alantani

the winning fish!

(oops!  steve requested that i post this picture after the issue of western outdoor news comes out.....)

Shark Hunter

Good Job Boss! Thanks for taking us along. You too Dominick! Looks like a fun day. ;D
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

I just went through this thread for the first time. Going out on a big boat to fish like this is so completely foreign to me. I mean it's right up there with bowling or golf on the dark side of the moon. It just blows me away the variety of fish that can be caught.

Hope some day my son Luke & I can make a trip like this with some of you.

Dominick

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 11, 2015, 07:57:32 PM
I just went through this thread for the first time. Going out on a big boat to fish like this is so completely foreign to me. I mean it's right up there with bowling or golf on the dark side of the moon. It just blows me away the variety of fish that can be caught.

Hope some day my son Luke & I can make a trip like this with some of you.
Riverrat, where are you located?  Dominick

Rivverrat

In Kansas....Jeff