shirts and head mask with UV protection or not

Started by steelfish, April 23, 2015, 02:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

since many years ago I have always used fishing shirts with UV protection SPF, and lately I've been using head mask to protect ears and neck on the orginal brand BUFF with SPF too.

but, does anyone knows how the SPF on fabric works? how many times I can wash my shirts and masks until the SPF protection goes out?

I been thinking in getting some fishing mask with NO UV protection since they are 50% to 60% cheaper than the ones with UV, if I put some sunscreen on the neck and ears and the fishing mask (with no UV) I think it would be as good as the ones sold exclusively for fishing (UV) right?

what do you guys think on this?

not really worried on the savings for the fishing mask, heck its no more than 10 bucks savings, but mostly asking if someone knows how the UV on clothes work and how longs is the same shirt, pant, mask still giving UV protection..

The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

I only have one spf type shirt.  But I think you are way ahead of the game either way.  Since I have no experience with the head buff, I'll be tuning in to see what others say.

Great subject to bring up.  I'm seeing the results of working outside my whole life.  My skin is constantly in a state of dryness / peeling,  even with lotion all the time.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Slazmo

I fish with a long sleeve polo, pop the collar, wide brimmed straw hat, and a buff (SPF 50+ nylon balaclava).

Just recently started using the open hand gloves with cover the back of my hands...

Sun is so strong here in AUS...

Jeri

Hi All,

We get don't get a lot of direct sun here on the beach, but get seriously burned through the mist.

Waterproof SP50 for exposed skin, UV shirt or full jacket and UV buff for head and neck protection - essential.

Skin cancer is the highest form of cancer in Africa - no point taking the risk.

Cheers

Jeri

steelfish

Quote from: Jeri on April 23, 2015, 08:07:13 AM
Waterproof SP50 for exposed skin, UV shirt or full jacket and UV buff for head and neck protection - essential.
Skin cancer is the highest form of cancer in Africa - no point taking the risk.

I live in the most dry zone in Baja, essentially in the Baja desert so sun is always hot here, so I always all covered mostly with SPF clothes but does anybody knows were the clothe is not longer UV protected or is somethings that it will be on the shirt forever?

The Baja Guy

LTM

Steelfish,

I use all the SPF clothes also, I believe that they have a limited/finite number of washings before they loose their protection. Try going online to Colombia sportswear or Exofficio or something and they should be able to tell you.

Leo

Reel 224

Interesting subject, since my skin is much more sensitive to sunlight because of the medication i have to take. I use a sun tan lotion and have not tried  SPF rated clothing. However after reading this post I am going to do some research on it for myself. Thanks for posting this Steelfish. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

bestout

i just use long sleeve shirts and a spf/uv fishing mask. Sometimes down here it can get to like 94° with like a  100° feeling so yeah it gets really hot.
The monsters in my head are scared......

Reel 224

I called Columbia and their PFG rated clothing will last for at least 100 washings and if the fabric fails it is covered under warrant. I just purchased two shirts one for me and one for my wife. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 23, 2015, 05:27:03 PM
I called Columbia and their PFG rated clothing will last for at least 100 washings and if the fabric fails it is covered under warrant. I just purchased two shirts one for me and one for my wife. 
dang.. that was fast, thanks compadre, thanks for called them for me LOL..100 washes (sic) are a lot..
you will be enjoying their fishing shirts, they have many models to chose from.

they really help you to go out and fishing and forget about sunburn, now you need a fishing mask "BUFF" to be all set, even if you dont like to use it over your head it helps a lot having the mask around your neck which gets sunburned even with a nice hat.

this is how I normally go fishing since almost 5 years ago.

even with the mask off your face your neck and ears are still covered..

I think shirts must have UV protection and mask as well, but on the mask "could" be not necessary if you are wearing a hat or cap

The Baja Guy

LTM

UV penetrates, therefore the treated clothing.

Leo

LTM

I also treat some of my outdoor clothing with insect repellant. You can add some to your wash and your clothes are good for several/many washings (not 100 washings).

Leo

newfuturevintage

Quote from: steelfish on April 23, 2015, 07:52:39 PM

I'm a little like this too.  I joke with my wife that I look like the invisible man when I'm in the sun.  Kinda like this in freshwater; in salt it's sillier (typically neoprene farmer's wetsuit + sun shirt+ neoprene boots + hat):

Plug here for seirus hats.  Got one last year and love it it's in the pic above.  Just got another with a wider brim, and it looks like it'll be stellar.  About $40-50us, it's a hat with integrated balaclava that can hang down as a shade or cover as a buff would.  Bonus: the hat won't blow off as it's stitched to the neck covering.

LTM

Quote from: newfuturevintage on April 23, 2015, 08:13:57 PM
Quote from: steelfish on April 23, 2015, 07:52:39 PM

I'm a little like this too.  I joke with my wife that I look like the invisible man when I'm in the sun.  Kinda like this in freshwater; in salt it's sillier (typically neoprene farmer's wetsuit + sun shirt+ neoprene boots + hat):

Plug here for seirus hats.  Got one last year and love it it's in the pic above.  Just got another with a wider brim, and it looks like it'll be stellar.  About $40-50us, it's a hat with integrated balaclava that can hang down as a shade or cover as a buff would.  Bonus: the hat won't blow off as it's stitched to the neck covering.
Do you have a web link for the hat?????

newfuturevintage

sure.  This is the one in the pic:
http://www.amazon.com/Seirus-Innovation-Floppy-Deluxe-Medium/dp/B0091SJ4U4/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1429821214&sr=1-2&keywords=seirus

and this is the one I received last week (in green, not black):
http://www.amazon.com/Seirus-Innovation-Aussie-Protection-X-Large/dp/B0091SJ602/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1429821214&sr=1-3&keywords=seirus

Both are good, the first is nice as it's got a solid top if you're a bit thin up there, the second's strength is it's not a floppy brim, so it plays better in light wind.