shirts and head mask with UV protection or not

Started by steelfish, April 23, 2015, 02:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomT

Dan,
Just judging from your picture your dad was old (young) enough to be past the baby oil/iodine era.  I grew up in the late 40's and 50's and baby oil with iodine was considered the ULTIMATE in protection ::) ::)   This mixture was just about all anyone used then except nerds and lifeguards who also put zinc oxide across the bridge of their nose (it looked like a coating of white paint across your nose). 
     After you were sunburned, you would get a cold bath to lessen the burn and then treat you with rubbing alcohol or vinegar--no one remembers why???  But they did make your skin temporarily "feel" cooler.  By the way most fair skinned people of my generation have annual treatments with a dermatologist to try to slow down the damage we experienced from the sun exposure---So keep up with your "ninja"  ;) wardrobe and hopefully you can skip the trips to the dermatologist!!
Also we all are interested in what is the "bait" you were using?? ;D ;)
TomT

Reel 224

We received our shipment yesterday from Columbia, two nice shirts and a visor for my wife all SPF. Very nice looking shirts,light and cool.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 01, 2015, 12:38:14 PM
We received our shipment yesterday from Columbia, two nice shirts and a visor for my wife all SPF. Very nice looking shirts,light and cool.

Next time on BPS or a Columbia official Store..check out those nice shirts that looks like dress shirts, discrete hole vents instead of the normal big vents on the back and with nice 50 SPF protection
I have 2 of them and use them to go fishing and go to work too
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Quote from: steelfish on May 01, 2015, 09:44:09 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on May 01, 2015, 12:38:14 PM

Next time on BPS or a Columbia official Store..check out those nice shirts that looks like dress shirts, discrete hole vents instead of the normal big vents on the back and with nice 50 SPF protection
I have 2 of them and use them to go fishing and go to work too

Yes those are the shirts we purchased.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

coastal_dan

Tom - Dad grew up in the 50's and called Delaware and Florida Beaches home.  We grew up around the water and ALWAYS had the blue zinc on our noses and under our eyes...we just thought we were football players or superheros!

That was in Coronado, bait was Gulp! sandworms...the grass/seaweed was super thick while we were there, just happy to have any type of fish...even if they ranged from 4" - 6" HAHA!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tiddlerbasher

Columbia Sportwear and spray on sun block for me - That's if we get any sun in the UK :-\

rusn007

My recent visit to dermatologist I was reminded the importance of sun protection.  I tend to forget to continuously reapply sunscreen when I'm on the water.  Bought a long sleeve UPF 50 shirt - which seems to help.
I often wear baseball cap and sunglasses.  The flexfit caps tend to be tight for my head and start to hurt after a while.  Recently found www.solmask.com, which has a decent fishing face masks collection https://www.solmask.com/collections/fishing

bhale1

Being a native of Southern Arizona my whole life I've had lots of exposure to sun! When we were younger we thought it was "cool" to be tan! Now, I realize the dangers of overexposed skin. After too many family members and friends have dealt with skin cancer and other problems, I have taken a new path!!!
First, I am a firm believer in a good quality sunscreen. Put it on before you leave the house, anywhere that might be exposed!  Then wear clothing that will cover your skin, with SPF protection!  Columbia, Orvris, and Cabelas, all offer great quality long sleeved shirts, that offer protection and still keep you comfortable with venting to keep you cool!
Add a hat, a good head/neck buff, and start fishing. Reapply sunscreen every few hours and keep fishing ;D
As far as eye protection....I firmly believe that you get what you pay for! Good sunglasses are a must! I've tried cheaper ones, and my eyes feel strained by the end of the day.
As a side note, I always bring a container of facial/hand wipes with me. That way I can refresh my face before re-applying sunnsreen, and when it feels  like sunscreen is sweating into my eyes!
Brett

MarkT

They were calling us Team Terrorist since we were all fishing with buffs pulled up.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

I just bought my first UV long sleeve shirt this past fall, wore it in PV fishing with the Osuna Bros.  haven't tried any of the face protection yet, maybe this year.

sdlehr

I was puzzled, thinking that all clothing would provide a physical barrier to light penetration; and that all this sun-protective clothing was a bunch of hype. I was wrong. Here's a link to some info on sun-protective clothing, and I've also attached it as a pdf in case it disappears from the net. http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/sun-protection/clothing/protection

There's a lot more to it than what I was originally thinking. From what I read in the article it's all about the tightness of the weave of the fabric as well as the addition of UV-absorbing dyes. I didn't read anything about the addition of anything that washes off after 100 washes, so I still question the validity of that concept, but I remain open to additional information. The fading of the UV-absorbing dyes may be what that is all about. I also didn't read every word of this article; it might have been mentioned. If I missed it, please let me know.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

enfish

For some perspective, Consumer Reports tested some shirts for SPF. Even a Hanes Beefy-T cotton shirt tested with an SPF over 100, so you don't necessarily need to buy into the hype of SPF rated clothing to get some protection. The SPF rated clothing will do better when wet, though.

"As impressive as those results are, they don't seem so remarkable when you consider that the two other garments we tested, which aren't claimed to provide any UV protection, did very well, too. A cotton Hanes Beefy-T long-sleeve T-shirt, $13, and an Eastbay Evapor long-sleeve compression crew made of the same polyester/spandex blend as the Coolibar top, $18 delivered UPFs of 115 and 392 respectively. Even when wet, the Hanes Beefy-T, which is thicker than a regular T-shirt, offered a UPF of 39, which we judge to be a respectable level of protection. Coolibar's UPF actually increased when it got wet, to 211, and Eastbay's dipped to 304."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/05/testing-sun-protective-clothing/index.htm

rusn007

Quote from: OnoEric on April 09, 2017, 03:53:55 PM
For some perspective, Consumer Reports tested some shirts for SPF. Even a Hanes Beefy-T cotton shirt tested with an SPF over 100, so you don't necessarily need to buy into the hype of SPF rated clothing to get some protection. The SPF rated clothing will do better when wet, though.

"As impressive as those results are, they don't seem so remarkable when you consider that the two other garments we tested, which aren't claimed to provide any UV protection, did very well, too. A cotton Hanes Beefy-T long-sleeve T-shirt, $13, and an Eastbay Evapor long-sleeve compression crew made of the same polyester/spandex blend as the Coolibar top, $18 delivered UPFs of 115 and 392 respectively. Even when wet, the Hanes Beefy-T, which is thicker than a regular T-shirt, offered a UPF of 39, which we judge to be a respectable level of protection. Coolibar's UPF actually increased when it got wet, to 211, and Eastbay's dipped to 304."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/05/testing-sun-protective-clothing/index.htm

Thanks for sharing.  Good information.

SoCalAngler

I am in the not crowd when it comes to buff's and SPF rated shirts. Though I do use a good spray SPF 50 water resistant sunscreen on any exposed skin. For me comfort is a must while fishing, so in hot weather I mainly wear T-shirts and shorts. I have never got sunburned under a normal shirt or shorts and even get a "farmers" tan on my body and legs where the exposed skin with the SPF 50 gets darker than the areas covered by clothes not SPF rated.

I say if your comfortable wearing more clothes or buff's in hot weather go for it as I'm sure they offer more protection than sunscreen alone.

I have been doing the sunscreen, T's and shorts for a really long time in Baja and So Cal.

Back in the day

until present my clothing has not changed all that much.

cwillis85

I am in Florida, went out a few weeks back, planned on a quick trip. Wore shorts and sunscreen, quick trip turned into me paddling around for 5ish hours. Was too busy dehooking catfish to re sunscreen and my legs were a bright red. Next weekend went out with Nick but the night before bought a $70 pair of Huk pants. They protected my skin and remained comfortable after being out on the water peddling the hobie around. I tend to pay for the comfort these pricey clothes provide as well as the sun protection. Columbia's magic cooling circles are no joke, pricey but keep you cool and protected with no resprays.
Chris