Penn 714

Started by RUSTY OLD COLT, April 23, 2015, 01:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RUSTY OLD COLT

I just purchased a green penn 714 that I have taken apart and started cleaning internally the reel is like new , externally it has some scrapes but the finish is dull what is good to use on the painted surfaces it shine them up  (I have been using regular car wax and it seems to be working  ) and does anybody know what years penn made a green 714.I would like to use this reel for ultra lite fluking on long island .

foakes

When the paint has dulled -- it can never be brought back to life permanently -- but the wax will help.

Like with a car finish -- you can try a very fine rubbing compound -- then wax and buffing.

Or a clay-bar treatment -- then wax and buffing.

Otherwise, just fix it up to top condition inside -- and fish the heck out of it.

It could be completely disassembled -- paint removed -- then either repainted or powder coated -- but that is a personal decision, since it is tedious, time consuming, and expensive to have it done right.

Great reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Doug

Indeed great little reels . The 714 greenie was produced according to scotts from 1966 thru mid 1970.  The 714 and 716 where designed  primarily for fresh water use if you are using for salt water lite fishing as I do some extra care needs to be done  .I have found that to avoid problems you need to give some special attention to the bearing retainer. The bearing retainer for the 714 and 716 is made of a very soft aluminum and is extremely prone to corrosion when used in salt water. When you service the reel make sure you remove the rotor cup and check the bearing retainer, apply a good coat of grease and you should have no problems.    Doug